Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat LC/Career Change

Options
  • 24-12-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this also sorry for the saga-post!! I'm toying with the idea of repeating my leaving cert in the evenings and going back to college. I'm 32 though - am I too old - I'd be 37 or 38 if I did a 4 year course?? I do look younger thou lol:pac:
    As a background I'm 32 and I've been working as a sys admin in the same company for 7 years - I kind of fell into the position after graduating with a degree in comp. science. I started in a helpdesk position and have worked my way up. Pretty much for the last 7 years I've toyed with the idea of going back to college at some stage and retraining but various factors have stopped me - mainly health (which is sorted now), money and what will family etc think, the thought of being a poor student again :pac:. I do like my job but the axe is hovering over us at the moment and I'd say I've got a year or 2 max before my position is outsourced and I'm going to stick it out for my golden handshake :pac:. I don't want to do this for another 30 years and I don't really have an interest in progressing to a management or project management position or anything IT related tbh.

When I was sick I had lots of scans and xrays done and it really interests me - I think this is what I want to do. Also dentistry would have been my choice when I did my LC if I had of been able to get the points so this would be another career I'd consider. I didn't do the best in my LC - I think around 380 points - I struggled most with english and chemistry and really just being able to focus on studying. I did do a lab science plc after the LC and got distinctions in everything thou - I found chemitry a breeze once the dynamics changed with the different teaching methods etc so think I could do better with the LC now that I'm older and have more of a focus.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Not at all mad!! Go for it! I'm involved a good bit in the mature student events in my college and there's plenty of people your age returning to college, and some much much older than you also. :)

So you're thinking of Radiography or Dentistry??

With repeating the leaving cert - I don't think anywhere offers a course in one year. You'd have to do it all by yourself and find a school that would allow you to sit the exam in the summer time. So you'd have to do it part time for two years, starting next September.

As you're thinking of a science based course, I'd highly recommend you check out the access to Science course offered at UCD. http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/courses/ex430.htm It's a part time one year course covering all the science subjects to leaving certificate standard and study skills. I did this course over 2 years ago and it really did help me prepare for college. It helped me get back into the swing of studying and get me confidence in my ability to study science. Both Radiography and Dentistry would be full on courses. I know from hearing about the Dents and how many hours they have to put in. If you're not based in Dublin, some of the other universities offer similar courses - I know NUI Galway do anyways.

I'd recommend the access course over repeating the Leaving Certificate unless the course requires you to have a certain grade in a particular subject even for Mature entry. The access course allows you to focus solely on science subjects and leaving out things like English, Irish and French which you won't need doing Radiography or Dentistry.

Get in contact with UCD for Radiography and TCD/UCC for Dentistry. Find out about their mature student application process, any open days for mature students, what is favourable on an application form.

Definitely try and get some work experience in both areas before you fully commit to the course.

Both courses have a limited number of spaces for mature students so the competition will be fierce so I would suggest starting to work on your application now, for two years time, to make it the best it can be!

And have a look at the sticky I made for applying as a mature student: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks!! I think I'll use the next few months to decide what I want to do and take it from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:D Just to update I've been reading up on this over the last week and am more determined than ever lol!! Can anyone tell me - I have a BSC in Computer Science - is this is classed as nvq level7 and in theory would I be eligble for free fees as radiography is level 8? My plan for the next 2 years now is save save save every penny I can for my "college fund", do the access to science course, get accepted into the radiography course, graduate and live happily ever after! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

Larianne wrote: »
    With repeating the leaving cert - I don't think anywhere offers a course in one year. You'd have to do it all by yourself and find a school that would allow you to sit the exam in the summer time. So you'd have to do it part time for two years, starting next September.

Pearse College in Crumlin do a repeat LC in one year and welcome mature students. I'm doing it myself there!
    It's mortifying being a lot older than the rest(am in 30's) but it's worth it in the end.

Advertisement