Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tall buildings to shoot from?

• 24-12-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey

Im doing a documentry shoot next semester as part of a college project. Im doing some research into topics that I can cover well enough to give me enough work to see me through the semester.

Im looking to get a list of accessable locations with 'epic' views if possible, and buildings that would be possible to get into to take some pictures from such as Balcony TV and The Gravity bar.

I need the height because I plan to do it with a tiltshift lens.

Any locations would be cool

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most misleading thread title ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

When I read the title, a certain Book Depository in Texas sprang to mind. :cool:

:D

Seriously, is it only locations in Dublin City that you're interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

haha!

Preferably in dublin/fingal etc, Id like to try keep it sorta urban if possible, but im not restricting myself to that alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I used to "shoot" from multi story car parks, pop up to the top level and shoot out the window, can be a bit restictive but might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

good idea! St vincents hospital has a good view i could use from their car park. Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

red_ice wrote: »

The view from the top of the Arnott's multistory car park is surprisingly good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There is some good views from the upper tiers of Croke Park, maybe as part of a tour or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Oh, that reminds me jameson brewery in Smithfield has an elevator that looks over the city, they charge monies though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there was talk of them doing tours of the roof of the aviva stadium where you walk along the top of it. you could try that.

If I were you I would find the tallest buildings in the city find out who is the managment company and ask make sure that you have a contact details of the teacher of the class. you could also try things like cranes and the like.

I have meant for along time to go about hiring a cherry picker. maybe that would work for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

the dublin eye/wheel? i remember seeing a photo from the top of the spire too, he was able to go up when they were cleaning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

red_ice wrote: »
    Hey

thanks
    Around October time every year there are buildings open to the public, last October I was on top of Liberty Hall photographing Dublin.
    Keep an eye out for it in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Car parks are your best bet, generally a good idea to get permission first. Really depends on how high you want to go, how low is acceptable and what you wanna shoot - I assume with tilt shift you wanna shoot looking down, but what do you wanna see? Other smaller buildings/pedestrianised streets?

Dublin city I'd suggest:
    Gravity bar
    Jameson distillery bar
    Arnotts car park
    Debenhams cafe, Henry street (4th floor I think)
    St Stephens green car park (view is restricted somewhat)

Fingal: (these would probably all need permission to even get in, but worth a shot)
    New hotel beside blanchardstown centre
    Quinn direct bldg, blanchardstown
    Metro hotel, Dublin airport (santry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I remember reading somewhere (?) about making your own aerial camera out of a few helium baloons, a rig made of styrofoam and a very long piece of string. Not kidding, you'd need to use a timer though and do the tilt shift in post afterwards. Not sure of the insurance implications mind you ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

PS I got permission a few years ago to shoot from the roof of the Savoy cinema on O'Connell St. Amazing view but a lot of pigeon sh1t to deal with :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

have a look at kite photography too

Advertisement