Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the dissolution of the NUI mean for UCD?

Options
  • 24-12-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

It is arguably the biggest shake up for the University since 1908. I see NCAD is to become a "Constituent College". They will stay on Thomas Street but UCD will start launching courses with them.

What will the results be for the Seanad seats?

Lots of changes are afoot. It's probably better for UCD to be outside of the NUI but maybe not so good for the likes of Galway and Maynooth in the short term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The NUI dissolution was suggested as part of the Bord Snip report (ironically written by a UCD lecturer) but as far as I know there is no current legislation ongoing to dissolve the NUI yet. The Senate would probably be abolished before the NUI if FG intend on carrying out their election promises ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

Batt O'Keefe announced it would happen at the beginning of the year.

And UCD/NCAD just 2 weeks ago announced this hook up so I would suggest it is going ahead. They will become a constituent college from September 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Apparently to get rid of the NUI as a Seanad constituency it would involve a referendum of some kind and I doubt many people would be keen on shelling out for that. Besides, the worst senators are usually the ones the Taoiseach appoints anyway *cough* Eoghan Harris *cough*. I wouldn't worry about it, UCD will be grand. I'm just glad to have registered with the Dublin University Constituency! ;) Sorry DB!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

El Siglo wrote: »
    Apparently to get rid of the NUI as a Seanad constituency it would involve a referendum of some kind and I doubt many people would be keen on shelling out for that. Besides, the worst senators are usually the ones the Taoiseach appoints anyway *cough* Eoghan Harris *cough*. I wouldn't worry about it, UCD will be grand. I'm just glad to have registered with the Dublin University Constituency! ;) Sorry DB!:D

Actually it would be good for UCD to be outside the NUI and indications in the past suggest that they would have preferred it to be that way for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well El Siglo I am very unhappy with your decision to betray your first alma mater in this way. It damages my chances of becoming a senator in the next Dáil. I'll have to canvass the support of other more dedicated UCD alumni ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yeah, UCD hooks up with yet another gang of hipsters ...

Advertisement