Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely quiet replacement PSU suggestions...

Options
  • 24-12-2010 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

Well it looks like the PSU of the PC I donated to my parents has gone tits up (450w one that came with an Antec Sonata)
    A family friend diagnosed it as being a faulty motherboard, so I went through the hassle of ordering a replacement mobo which ended up being a big fat waste of money...

I'll be honest and say that I know sweet FA about PSUs, so would appreciate some advice on what I should replace it with. Would have gone with the suggestions from other threads, but they seem more geared towards gaming rigs with power hungry graphics cards.

I've taken the graphics card out and will most likely reclaim one of the HDDs, so it'll only have to power 2x sticks of ram, 2x sata HDDs, 1x DVD drive and will be using integrated graphics, so should cope just fine with a low wattage model

Any ideas about the best value I could get for as little money as possible? Don't really want to have to go through this again any time soon!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

I have a zalman dual heatpiped psu.
    zm-850-hp I think it is.
    I've never heard it running once, but it's a bit on the expensive side imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cheers... 850w sounds a little on the excessive side though!!!

The crisis has been averted for now anyways, but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon

Advertisement