Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athens Classic Marathon

• 24-12-2010 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever done it? If so, what's the verdict? I understand it's quite hilly for about 20K.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Did it this year, was the anniversary year and very well organised. Say your thread on the other forum, and this would be a very tough first marathon.

There is a constant drag of about 300m from 11k mark until about the 32K mark, but then its downhill to the finish which really hurts your quads esp for the last few miles. I had it easy as the temperatures for this years race was 16-18 degrees but in previous years 24 degrees seems to be the norm.

Finish in the original Olympic stadium is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Well worth it in my opinion. As Ger says, the finish in the 1896 Olympic Stadium is worth anything beforehand, and the course itself is pretty decent, if quite tough. I found it fine until half way, then a constant gradual climb for 10km, and then back downhill for the final 10km or so.

28 degrees and 92 percent humidity the times I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Forget about the hills and just think about that finish line.

Advertisement