Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help with scripture and prayers

• 24-12-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hello to all my fellow Christians. I am sufferring lately with great spiritual dryness and also sleeplessness has taken its toll upon my body.

I was looking for some scriptural passages to help me with my problems. What do you recommend I read? Also what chaplets or prayers are suitable for me to pray to help me with this problem? :o

Thank you for your replies and Holy Christmas to you all.

Onesimus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Alice1

Hi Onesimus,
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I find the 23rd psalm very comforting at times like these - which we all have.

I wish you and yours peace this Christmas. Be strong and know that this time will pass.

I will include you in my prayers.

Ali

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Onesimus wrote: »
    Hello to all my fellow Christians. I am sufferring lately with great spiritual dryness and also sleeplessness has taken its toll upon my body.

I was looking for some scriptural passages to help me with my problems. What do you recommend I read? Also what chaplets or prayers are suitable for me to pray to help me with this problem? :o

Onesimus

The book of Job tends to give perspective. As for specific prayers etc. Why don't you just try talking to God? He tells us to throw our burdens on him, so try unburdening yourself. Talk candidly and ask him to build you up.

A fantastic resource I find is www.askdrbrown.org. There is so much there to chomp through. Plenty of spiritual food.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

Onesimus

So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.

Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you.

Be sober and vigilant. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for (someone) to devour.

Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that your fellow believers throughout the world undergo the same sufferings.

The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ (Jesus) will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little.

To him be dominion forever. Amen.

- 1 Peter 5, NAB

Whether you are depressed, anxious, or just can't sleep, there is some good advice here (just click on 'self-help recommendations'):
    http://www.chastitysf.com/depanx.htm

(I learned that you can actually be technically depressed without realising it. As Alan Partridge said, you can be 'clinically fed up'. I'm not making light of any situation you may find yourself in for I am also experiencing similar difficulties at the moment.)

I wish you a blessed and peaceful Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I am sufferring lately with great spiritual dryness and also sleeplessness has taken its toll upon my body.

I don't think it insignificant that you are experiencing the two at the same time. I think it was Don Carson who recounted an instance in his life when he was going through something similar. He hadn't slept right in weeks due to some worry and it was beginning to impact everything from his relationship with God, people around him and just about every other aspect of his daily life. That really isn't surprising. One area of our lives can easily impact another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I hold all of your advice to be from the Holy Spirit and keep it dear to my heart at this difficult moment of time.

If you only knew the half of it. Please pray for my sinful self to be renewed and united to Christ and his Cross. I am confident that Mother Mary is watching over me and doing her best to keep me close to her Son Jesus.

Onesimus *sniffle* I love you all sos ososososososososo MUCHHHHHHHH

no I'm not drunk I really mean that. xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Onesimus,
    God Bless, I just prayed for you, will keep you there, and Merry Christmas.

May sound funny, but I like to pray when I exercise. :)

Get out and go for a walk, say the rosary.

I do long distance cycling, like 100 miles or more, and praying is a great way to keep your mind occupied and your body in shape at the same time.

Get out and enjoy God's creation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

FISMA wrote: »
    Onesimus,
    God Bless, I just prayed for you, will keep you there, and Merry Christmas.

May sound funny, but I like to pray when I exercise. :)

Get out and go for a walk, say the rosary.

I do long distance cycling, like 100 miles or more, and praying is a great way to keep your mind occupied and your body in shape at the same time.

Get out and enjoy God's creation.

It is not funny at all. your post is wonderful. Please pray for me more. Also offer up your suffering to Christ for me. Or for his mother to bring to Christ through her rosary. Amen.

God bless
    Onesimus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvjiVam2HO4&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

OneSimus,

God = love.

It's easy for God to give us love. Hard for us to accept it.

Another thing that works, and you should try it, is writing.

When I heard it first, I thought it was silly, however, I tried it and it is really therapeutic.

Get out the auld biro and some paper and start writing.

Write a prayer, write a book, write thanks, write whatever. Don't worry about grammar and punctuation, just write.

It's what good authors do.

Again, it is very therapeutic. Also, it helps keep the mind-body connection going!

Slan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement