Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson Irish Whiskey

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It beggars belief all right, what have I done :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It beggars belief all right, what have I done :eek:

Despair not. It's never too late. You can still be saved.
    Allow me to prize your fingers off that bottle of sugary mixer. Breathe deeply. You don't need it, honest.
    Now, sip a little whiskey WITHOUT the sugar pollution. No gulping. Sip, savour, swirl around the mouth a little.
    It's like an orchestra, carefully conducted. A good Irish whiskey (or, he grudgingly admits, a top Scotch or Bourbon too) is a symphony of taste and scent.
    Adding a mixer to a decent whiskey ruins that symphony, like a child yelling in the middle of the music. Jameson is a pot-still dominant sherried Irish whiskey. It's sweet enough naturally from the influence of the sweet wine, the oak and the fruitiness of the original malt mash.
    It doesn't require any additions. Except your time, your attention and your enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Great choice on jameson, I adore it!

I drink it with orange juice. Yes, I was dubious at first also

I'll have to try that. I tried the Jameson and ginger but didn't like it much. This sounds more promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I propose a change of the forum title to:
    Beer wine spirits & BLASPHEMY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i have tried mixers too and to be honest i think whiskey is better with a little water, or neat. i prefer a drop of water in mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Cocktails can be a bit of a bridge between drinking neat whiskey and polluting sorry dilutting it with a mixer.

A Manhattan was one of the most well known and widely drunk cocktails and possibly pre-dates the Martini. Contrary to what some might say you can make this drink easily in your own home. Take a large mixing class/pint glass pour in say 60ml of whiskey and 20ml of either dry or sweet vermouth*, stir with ice and strain into a chilled glass. If you want you can use a small glass with ice or a martini/cocktail-style glass.

There are many variations and recipes. Some will say add bitters - great if you have em but hard to get and extortionately priced here. Vermouth is an aromatized wine and a 700ml will be under a tener.

If you're fed up of Mojitos you can try a Mint Julep which is not too dissimilar using whiskey and mint with a sweetener ie. sugar/sugar syrup.

A whiskey sour is analogous to a Margarita in the sense it uses a base spirt, sweet (sugar syrup/Cointreu) and sour (lemon juice/lime juice).

I find that if you really wanna slosh a mixer in on top of a not so good whiskey ie. some like off the shelf non-age-statement Jameson then ginger ale is a nice accompanyment or soda water with a lemon or lime dash/twist/garnish.

*Dry vermouth is labeled as such whereas sweet vermouth will most likely be found in a red label with Rosso written on it.

IDL market Jameson heavily as something to be mixed. I like Jameson on its own, but I'm all for doing whatever you like with a drink. It's cheap enough to blend with mixers without feeling guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Brockagh wrote: »
    IDL market Jameson heavily as something to be mixed. I like Jameson on its own, but I'm all for doing whatever you like with a drink. It's cheap enough to blend with mixers without feeling guilty.
    There's a bizarre connundrum in your post there: IDL's marketing and your mention of price.

Jameson is more expensive than others because you're paying for the advertising!

Powers is cheaper and is better quality whiskey imo. Crested Ten is better than the standard Jameson stuff though I couldn't put a price on what I think it's worth

There's a bizarre connundrum in your post there: IDL's marketing and your mention of price.

Jameson is more expensive than others because you're paying for the advertising!

Powers is cheaper and is better quality whiskey imo. Crested Ten is better than the standard Jameson stuff though I couldn't put a price on what I think it's worth

It's the cheapest whiskey in the Jameson range, and it's very cheap indeed outside Ireland, where it sells most. Indeed, Powers is generally more expensive than Jameson outside Ireland, because there's less of it outside Ireland.

If you're going to mix an Irish whiskey, personally I'd chose Jameson, unless it's in an Irish coffee. I'm not an expert on these things, though.

Jameson is around the same age profile as Powers, but I'd guess it's more expensive to make because it involves more sherry casks, which are much more expensive than bourbon casks.

I too prefer Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Great choice on jameson, I adore it!

I drink it with orange juice. Yes, I was dubious at first also

Brockagh wrote: »
    I'll have to try that. I tried the Jameson and ginger but didn't like it much. This sounds more promising.

Maybe you can use it as your morning wake up wink.gif

• Advertisement

I have two morning wakeups, IWC. They are very loud and usually hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im on my third boittle of jameson in as many months, since chrisatmas, im starting to worry about myself now... really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement