Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is English (Ireland) and the way we write?

Options
  • 24-12-2010 11:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In Microsoft Word 2010 there is a language option entitled "English (Ireland)". I use it when possible but I have yet to notice any difference from the British option. Is there any difference from English (UK)?

This raises a broader question. Is English written in Ireland different in any way from British English? Is our Hiberno-English tongue purely a spoken (and colloquial) phenomenon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IIRC it relates largely to keyboard mappings for things like the euro key and vowel accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

robp wrote: »
    Hi,

In Microsoft Word 2010 there is an language option entitled "English (Ireland)". I use when it possible but I have yet to notice any difference to the British option. Is there any real difference from English (UK)?

This raises a broader question. Is written English in Ireland different in any way from British English? Is our Hiberno-English tongue purely a spoken (and colloquial) phenomena?

Too many grammatical errors, didn't correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 e2e

I am from the RS (Bosnia) and I have no idea about the differences mentioned.:)

Cheers & Slainte

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Too many grammatical errors,I didn't correct them.

Now someone can correct this post and put me in my place. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Whiskey instead of whisky is all I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Aidan is correct. It's for currency, and vowel accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's a bit like Irish Breakfast tea. There is no difference between the Irish and English versions, but calling them different things stops people whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

IIRC it relates largely to keyboard mappings for things like the euro key and vowel accents.

But...changing the dictionary to French doesn't change the keyboard to French layout, so this doesn't make any sense to me. Also, there aren't any vowel accents in English words. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

But...changing the dictionary to French doesn't change the keyboard to French layout, so this doesn't make any sense to me. Also, there aren't any vowel accents in English words. Am I missing something?

I think he means vowel accents as in the Irish fáda and French circonflexe, cedrille, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

AntiMatter wrote: »
    I think he means vowel accents as in the Irish fáda and French circonflexe, cedrille, etc.

Yeah, but in English(Ireland), there aren't any accents. I understand changing to Irish cos the spellings are different since the language is different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Yeah, but in English(Ireland), there aren't any accents. I understand changing to Irish cos the spellings are different since the language is different.

The only application I could think of would be names and place names.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

in the Irish version certain letters are dropped and picked up
    "wha the **** are youse two bleedin' talkin abou'?"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jaysus, feck and so forth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Interesting. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yea nothing to do with keyboard mapping I'd say, that's on OS setting.
    Maybe placenames?

Or else the odd use of Irish words in English, such as "marla" for plasticine or "craic" for fun or "cailín" for girl.

<couldn't be bothered opening word to check the verity of this>

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

so that people like rebelheart can actually post on here without compromising his beliefs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The grammar checker allows things like 'does be' and 'I'm after doing it' and 'buck eejit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It includes 'delph' as a word ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

It is actually for words like centre where it is spelled center in USA.

Also, if you change the English Ireland to English America, the keyboard will be different. The @ will be where the " is on your keyboard, provided you bought the keyboard in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It is actually for words like centre where it is spelled center in USA.

Also, if you change the English Ireland to English America, the keyboard will be different. The @ will be where the " is on your keyboard, provided you bought the keyboard in Ireland.

bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

enda1 wrote: »
    bollocks
    Ah shoo will you? You clearly haven't a notion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hold out the pinky if you are using English (UK). Just forget about it with English (Ireland) but make sure to whistle a few tunes from about the rare auld town every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

enda1 wrote: »
    bollocks

If you used the "English (Ireland)" language option, that would have read "bollix".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

its a sleight of hand. a distinct twang of the pen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's so the can charge government depts extra for the "new language" :p

Hiberno-English is quite different from what they speak over in England.

For a start , especially the start of words, we don't get mixed up with 'f' and 's' and don't drop 'h'

at the other end of the scale we have a lot more Nobel prizes for literature per capita than other English speaking countries

It's so the can charge government depts extra for the "new language" :p

Hiberno-English is quite different from what they speak over in England.

For a start , especially the start of words, we don't get mixed up with 'f' and 's' and don't drop 'h'

at the other end of the scale we have a lot more Nobel prizes for literature per capita than other English speaking countries

There have only been three, and two of them ****ed off out of Ireland the first chance they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

It's actually just a thing thought up by the marketing and pr departments in Microsoft. Nothing to do with keyboard changes or anything like that.
    Mystery solved. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There have only been three, and two of them ****ed off out of Ireland the first chance they got.
    aren't you forgetting George Bernard Shaw ?

aren't you forgetting George Bernard Shaw ?

No, I'm including him as he emigrated to London before he started writing. I'm 'forgetting' Seamus Heaney as he's from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Terry wrote: »
    Jaysus, feck and so forth.

Pretty sure they say "so forth" in Britain.

Advertisement