Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue using Modem/Router with Eircom ADSL

Options
  • 24-12-2010 11:54pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My parents' have an Eircom ADSL setup. It used a Cayman ADSL Smart Modem to connect to the Internet, which only allowed one wired connection.

Recently then they bought a Netgear N150 Modem/Router. No matter what I try I can't seem to get it to connect to the Internet. The old stand-alone modem though has no issues.
    I can't see what I'm doing wrong:
    The ADSL line-in that was connected into the Cayman modem is now connected into the Netgear DSL input so that can't be it (I think).
    All the lights are in "Green" on the router except for the Internet connection, which is clearly the issue.

I used the Setup wizard to try and connect to the Internet, no joy. The cabling is set up correctly (according to the wizard) but it can't make a connection to the Internet. What does happen is that the Internet connection light goes red after a while - I'm assuming this is some sort of lock being put in place by the router.

Firewalls are disabled (while testing this) and, even then, I don't know why the old modem would work but not the modem/router. I've even gone into the console for the old modem and tried copying in the Primary/Secondary DNS values and assigning them manually in the new router with no joy.

Anyone have any ideas? I can't see how to bridge across from the modem to the modem/router either as the modem/router only seems to accept a DSL input (and not an ethernet input).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

ixoy wrote: »
    My parents' have an Eircom ADSL setup. It used a Cayman ADSL Smart Modem to connect to the Internet, which only allowed one wired connection.

Recently then they bought a Netgear N150 Modem/Router. No matter what I try I can't seem to get it to connect to the Internet. The old stand-alone modem though has no issues.
    I can't see what I'm doing wrong:
    The ADSL line-in that was connected into the Cayman modem is now connected into the Netgear DSL input so that can't be it (I think).
    All the lights are in "Green" on the router except for the Internet connection, which is clearly the issue.

I used the Setup wizard to try and connect to the Internet, no joy. The cabling is set up correctly (according to the wizard) but it can't make a connection to the Internet. What does happen is that the Internet connection light goes red after a while - I'm assuming this is some sort of lock being put in place by the router.

Firewalls are disabled (while testing this) and, even then, I don't know why the old modem would work but not the modem/router. I've even gone into the console for the old modem and tried copying in the Primary/Secondary DNS values and assigning them manually in the new router with no joy.

Anyone have any ideas? I can't see how to bridge across from the modem to the modem/router either as the modem/router only seems to accept a DSL input (and not an ethernet input).

dont use bridging anyways, its only designed to be used with a cable router (rj 45 input) - ive worked with this modem before - make sure you set connection type to ppoe - username eircom, password Broadband1 and llc encapsulation vpi 8 and vci 35

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just replying - got it working after finding a similar situation here. Just as you say, I needed to alter the vpi and vci settings.
    It was meant to work straight out of the box (so my dad was told by the salesman) but it seems hooked up to work with BT instead. Not sure how I would have figured it out otherwise, never mind someone who has no technical experience at all.

Advertisement