Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water off - Macroom - any details?

Options
  • 25-12-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

anyone know anything about water being off in Macroom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cillerz

cjmcork wrote: »
    anyone know anything about water being off in Macroom?

It was off from like 8:00 pm last night until 8:00 am this morning. Some disaster we lost our heating! They told nobody either we barely even found out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Our pipes froze while it was off. Still without water:mad::(

Miaireland wrote: »
    Our pipes froze while it was off. Still without water:mad::(

Being turned off again there, reservoir is like empty someone said! That's why the water is an awful colour :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Absolute outrage! Why in gods name did they switch off the water on Christmas eve?

We couldn't cook Christmas dinner as all the pipes froze up. I'm a guest staying in my fiancee's parents house and it's totally destroyed our Christmas.

No one can shower.

Total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

sweetest jesus, just went in to fill a few pots IN CASE they might turn it off again - it's effing off since before 6pm - ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT

I left it run this morning to try to get the muck colour out of it - so if everyone does this, how the hell do we save water??? (and if they pull this trick when meters come in, how much will that cost us???)

I spend a chunk of time in Dublin during the week and they use this new fangled device, I'm fairly sure they've heard of it here - the INTERNET - TO NOTIFY PEOPLE OF THESE KINDS OF EVENTS.

I rang the emergency number last night and the guy, while polite, hadn't a clue what I was talking about - nothing on the Cork CoCo website, nothing on macroom.ie..............am tempted to ring our resident TD to see if he knows anything????

mine didn't come on till after 9.30 this morning.

that's just taking the p1ss in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2tlvogueaddict

@ Cjmcork I have to say after a horrendous day of ordering Chinese for Christmas Dinner as mom couldn’t cook with brown running water and showering by pouring a kettle over myself your post may have just been the only time I have laughed on this... Joyous Christmas day! Sweet Jesus indeed! Looking forward to a delightful four hour drive back to Dublin tomorrow from my parent’s house in Macroom with pink eye of course... My advice is don’t put the brown water near your face Lmao!! xXx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2tlvogueaddict

@ {^Syntax^}, my lovely fiancé, thank you for tolerating all of this madness! And sleeping next to me tonight even though we’ll smell of prawn crackers from “Christmas Dinner” A very merry Christmas to all! xXx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beano21

Does anyone know what the water situation in Macroom is ?

Got the news on Christmas Eve that water was going off from 8.30pm to 8.30 am Christmas day.

It came back for an hour at 9.30 am and has been gone all day.

Christmas dinner a bit of a challenge without water....

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Any more news on this? Didn't hear it was going off last night (lack of updates is a disgrace) and no shower etc this morning, been out for dinner with family elsewhere and just home to still no water-when I found our they had turned it off I assumed it'd be back on during the day at least so tank would fill up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Still no water here. Why the hell the Council didn't reduce the pressure of the water at night to conserve water over a few nights rather than turning it off all together on Christmas eve is beyond me. :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah seems mad - problem is our next door neighbour 4 metres up the hill have water and only seem to have had discolouration and reduced pressure whereas we have nothing at all since midnight-mean it's our pipes and there's nothing else to do?

i don't so much have an issue with the water being turned off - that perhaps has to happen, my issue is not telling anyone so we can't at least prepare for it...........and the emergency Civic Amenity number is useless.........

found this on the Cork CoCo website but no mention of Macroom...........there is another emergency number if someone would like to ring that? I rang the Macroom one last night to no avail...

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web//Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Corporate%20Affairs/Media%20Releases?did=124886501

Oops- water gone again next door so it must be his tank he emptied. Very pissed off.

Just back now (for as long as it lasts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fred1

Just back now (for as long as it lasts)

Does anyone in Codrum have water yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CORKDIVA

LIVING ABOUT 6 MILES FROM MACROOM CARRIGADROHID
    NO WATER NOW FOR 5 DAYS PIPES FROZEN SOLID ... BRING ON THE THAW. SO MUCH FOR A WHITE XMAS - SICK OF IT NOW

fred1 wrote: »
    Does anyone in Codrum have water yet?

Living in the Cresent and we have water today?

anyone got any updates on this - water off since 9am - nothing since - Cork Coco website has nothing useful..........rang the emergency number earlier - it won't be attended till Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

APALLING ! ! ! THe absense of information in this day and age is APALLING and UNFORGIVABLE. No excuses are allowable !!

If you are to post something here, do like I just just did email your outrage and disappointmnet to the public servants who you are funding not to mention their website www.macroom.ie

email them now at info@macroom.ie and contact your local councillor at
    http://www.macroom.ie/locgov_memb.htm

THe absense of information in this day and age is APALLING and UNFORGIVABLE. No excuses are allowable !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

These are extreme weather times and it is wise to be well prepared in advance.

We are out in the boonies, north of Enniskeane and with a private water supply ; the pump house freezes frequently so we now keep many gallons of water stored in case of need. Does not take much forethought when the forecast was so bad; we were in Donegal last winter and the many burst pipes when the thaw came had the same effect of sudden water cuts. We were on mains water then and the colours of it were indeed interesting.

We still had some left when the thaw came after a week.... And we melted snow for the toilet. And used every bit of washing and washing up water in the cistern.

Decades of rural Irish life have taught us to always have water stored. As soon as it thawed, we refilled every container again.

The worst thing here was that the rubber tubing to the gas cylinder outside perished so we had to cook dinner very fast with parcel tape patching up the tube.
    But Christmas is still Christmas is it not?
    And at least you can get takeaway; the roads were too iced here so bread and cheese is fine then.
    Hope this all gets resolved soon; we are fine again.

this is what passes for an update on the Cork CoCo website..................if I were to update my stakeholders at work like this, I fear I'd be facing the dole queue:

"
    Local Authority housing repairs. Water supply update

For emergency repairs to Local Authority housing, tenants should call 021 4971478 or email teammanager@voxpro.ie. Water supply still critical and large areas had to be cut off overnight. Consumers should conserve water and check for leaks in unoccupied property as demand is exceeding supply.
    The water supply situation remains critical throughout the county with many areas experiencing overnight restrictions due to demand exceeding supply.

Inniscarra is at full production to meet increased demand from City and County areas.

All leakage detection crews and repair crews are deployed.

Consumers have a major role to play in reducing demand."

That's it - no information about any towns...............:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Briar Rose

There's a county council shade of yellow paint daubed on the footpath outside our house today. Between our stop cock and the neighbours. Water was on this morning but off again now. Others down the road have water. We're in Ballincollig in Classes lake. Is this how the council are marking leaks, does anyone know? Nobody seems to know who painted the path!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ORACLE2

If the Pump House freezes like this you should go and buy an infra red lamp you will get them at any hardware or co-op,around 15 to 20 euro will sort you out for one of these and leave it lighting in your pumphouse during severe cold this will help keep your pump house from freezing,I used to have this problem and I found this a great way of keeping it frost free, its definitely worth giving a try id say could save a lot of grief and hassle.

QUOTE=Graces7;69758507]These are extreme weather times and it is wise to be well prepared in advance.

We are out in the boonies, north of Enniskeane and with a private water supply ; the pump house freezes frequently so we now keep many gallons of water stored in case of need. Does not take much forethought when the forecast was so bad; we were in Donegal last winter and the many burst pipes when the thaw came had the same effect of sudden water cuts. We were on mains water then and the colours of it were indeed interesting.

We still had some left when the thaw came after a week.... And we melted snow for the toilet. And used every bit of washing and washing up water in the cistern.

Decades of rural Irish life have taught us to always have water stored. As soon as it thawed, we refilled every container again.

The worst thing here was that the rubber tubing to the gas cylinder outside perished so we had to cook dinner very fast with parcel tape patching up the tube.
    And at least you can get takeaway; the roads were too iced here so bread and cheese is fine then.
    Hope this all gets resolved soon; we are fine again.[/QUOTE]

ORACLE2 wrote: »
    If the Pump House freezes like this you should go and buy an infra red lamp you will get them at any hardware or co-op,around 15 to 20 euro will sort you out for one of these and leave it lighting in your pumphouse during severe cold this will help keep your pump house from freezing,I used to have this problem and I found this a great way of keeping it frost free, its definitely worth giving a try id say could save a lot of grief and hassle.

QUOTE=Graces7;69758507]These are extreme weather times and it is wise to be well prepared in advance.

[/QUOTE]

my father has one of those temperature controlled rads in his pump house, so when it hits a certain temp outside, the yoke kicks in........that said, theirs froze for the first time ever on xmas eve - so they're going to build a proper pump house as opposed to the barna shed yoke they had

Thank you.. we have a lamp in there but in these extreme temps? No grief or hassle here.. simply accepting and making good provision for this winter.

ORACLE2 wrote: »

[/QUOTE]

Spinnaker wrote: »
    APALLING ! ! ! THe absense of information in this day and age is APALLING and UNFORGIVABLE. No excuses are allowable !!

If you are to post something here, do like I just just did email your outrage and disappointmnet to the public servants who you are funding not to mention their website www.macroom.ie

email them now at info@macroom.ie and contact your local councillor at
    http://www.macroom.ie/locgov_memb.htm

THe absense of information in this day and age is APALLING and UNFORGIVABLE. No excuses are allowable !!

This is IRELAND.. Nothing gets done as in other places... we have been here ten years and we learned that fast the hard way.. as a neighbour said in that first year, a man from Holland, think of Ireland as a Third World country. Expect nothing and make provision.

Life has been easier since then.....

Not worth raising blood pressure over...

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    Absolute outrage! Why in gods name did they switch off the water on Christmas eve?

We couldn't cook Christmas dinner as all the pipes froze up. I'm a guest staying in my fiancee's parents house and it's totally destroyed our Christmas.

No one can shower and we've actually justed ordered Chinese for Christmas dinner..

Total joke.

Excuse my question, but do you boil your Christmas dinner? We roast ours, and our potatoes.. No water needed thus.

Sure no gravy, but a bit of butter works fine.

Seems folk have forgotten how to cope? How to keep water stored in bad weather as these cuts happen every year.

Bad to be so utterly reliant on unreliable services.

update from Cork Co Co website - water off in macroom from 9pm (or beforehand) to 9am tomorrow..........

• Advertisement

water was turned off at midnight last night; restored at 9am; ditto for tonight - except 9pm is the official shut off time.....according to Granvilles staff at lunchtime today (nothing on Cork CoCo website though)

Advertisement