Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city carparks owners

Options
  • 25-12-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello Guys,
    Does anyone know who owns the various carparks around galway city. for example

the one beside mill street garda station
    the one behind boots and mcdonalds. it has an automated system there

I heard the car park beside the cathedral went into recievership. Does anyone know who took it over or owns it now?

thanks for any help.

evoke

Comments

The city owns them all afaik.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingintheCity/PublicCarParks/

Galway county council owns Roches carpark I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

i did see that site when i was searching that site but i could not believe they own that many car parks. I thought they might have that site for all carpark facilities in galway regardless if the council owns them or not.

But if some knows for certain they own them then i can accept that. not much information on the net about who owns them.

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

The city owns them all afaik.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingintheCity/PublicCarParks/

Galway county council owns Roches carpark I think.
    Roches themselves own it still

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

The Roches car park is owned by the council as far as I know but is on a long term lease to Roches.

It may also be the same situation for the car park behind boots and McDonalds is run by APCOA.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you really want to know about owners, or who operates the carparks?

The council don't own or run them all: compare the ones prices listed on their page with the ones on their maps (linked to on that reference given above).

I've done another map, which also includes a list and is IMHO a bit easier to read than the council's map. I've realised there are still a few missing (the Mercy college - weekends only, and Bailey Point in Salthill).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Municipal Car Parks:

Mill Street
    Bowling Green
    Dyke Road (near Black Box, behind Omniplex)
    Cathedral

The City Council website also mention one on College Road, but I can't think of which one they are referring to.

All others are privately run.

Some of the multi-storey car parks in the city centre were constructed years ago on foot of tax reliefs introduced by Charlie McCreevey!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The College Road one is The Dog Track but I dont know if they still use it.

Pool4Life wrote: »
    Roches themselves own it still
    Roches own the shop at the front - the car park was built on what used to be the Galway County Council yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The College Road one is The Dog Track but I dont know if they still use it.

Yup, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Roches own the shop at the front - the car park was built on what used to be the Galway County Council yard.
    :confused:

not so, The council yard car park is on the right hand side going down the hill towards sickeen, it used to be a roads and library vehicle parking area. When the roches stores building was being constructed they bought a portion of each of the back gardens of all the houses they needed space from.

westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Thread bump. Is it true that GCC own most of Galway City's carparks?....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

No. Definitely not. Off the top of my head, jury’s, Hynes yard, dockgate, Eyre square centre, market street - all not council owned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You can also add the Coach Station, Train Station, Corrib Shopping Centre and the Docks (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Interesting 12 years on and still Multi Story and Surface car parks mentioned in this thread in the City Centre ALL still exist. Hynes Yard should be converted into apartments and Mill Street beside the Garda Station should have apartments on it by now. If was want Cross City Connects to work going to have to remove car parking demand from the core.

Advertisement