Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quadrantid meteor shower January 3rd.

Options
  • 25-12-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Another meteor shower early morning JAN 3rd in the NorthEast.that night is a new moon so no moonlight whatsoever to spoil it if its clear,at its peak it will be 200 per hour,althought they will be fairly dim so a good dark viewing site is needed.

hope the clouds feck off for this one.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

How does this compare to the Geminid shower if the skies are clear? I've read that it will be more faint and a lot shorter but is it still good to watch? I really enjoyed watching the Geminid out in the country, had some great views!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

NUTZZ wrote: »
    How does this compare to the Geminid shower if the skies are clear? I've read that it will be more faint and a lot shorter but is it still good to watch? I really enjoyed watching the Geminid out in the country, had some great views!
    I missed the geminid shower it was too cloudy,id say the quadrantid be worth a watch,at its peak will be 200 per hour so im sure you would see something .in the country you'll get some nice views,weather permitting of course.theres been some great clear nights lately hopefully it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm gonna be in Wales @ this time in an area with pretty much 0% light pollution so if the cloud cover is kind I'm intrested in catching this, any idea how 'early' early morning is?

I'm gonna be in Wales @ this time in an area with pretty much 0% light pollution so if the cloud cover is kind I'm intrested in catching this, any idea how 'early' early morning is?

I tried to find out roughly what time but were i first read about it doesn't say a specific time.i just presume it will go on throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

BBC2 are running a special live show on the 3rd, hosted by the very watchable Brian Cox and our own Dara O'Briain. Here's hoping for clear skies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xcp7d

• Advertisement

MayoForSam wrote: »
    BBC2 are running a special live show on the 3rd, hosted by the very watchable Brian Cox and our own Dara O'Briain. Here's hoping for clear skies.

Thanks for the heads up ill definitely watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MayoForSam wrote: »

Monday, 20:00 on BBC Two (except Northern Ireland (Analogue),

not a prob for me as i dont watch the analogue service but might cause someone else some probs

I have sky so will i be able to watch that bbc??

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Another meteor shower early morning JAN 3rd in the NorthEast.that night is a new moon so no moonlight whatsoever to spoil it if its clear,at its peak it will be 200 per hour,althought they will be fairly dim so a good dark viewing site is needed.

hope the clouds feck off for this one.:D

Peak for this shower is tonight/ tomorrow morning - forecast looks like cloud cover moving in from the north during the night :( so might be worth a look low in the north east early tonight - failing that it lasts for a couple more days.

more info at http://www.spacedex.com/quadrantids/

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Seen about 5 dim meteors at around 1am when the cloud moved briefly

• Advertisement

I seen nothing at all i wouldn't have stayed up till 1am ive a 1 year old who's teething,enough said.yesterday evening was looking good it was very clear until them poxy clouds rolled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Clear enough skys at the moment, but my patients is really being tried. I've been looking for an hour & I haven't seen anything yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Is there any chance of seeing anything tonight?

Prenderb wrote: »
    Is there any chance of seeing anything tonight?

Not sure but its well worth looking anyway its a nice clear night,im setting the scope up and having a gander at the orion nebula.good hunting!

Advertisement