Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turkey

Options
  • 25-12-2010 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

iv only just arrived in my sweet homeland of eire after a 72 hour delay to find the road were unsalted and frozen solid,how do ye poeple live!if this was new york god help the cops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I thought you were trying to figure out how to cook a turkey! Welcome to the home land.....only in Ireland!

Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

:D at the thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

We're tough and resilient, and we hope it increases the chances of getting snowed in in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'll be in a pub this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

gunne wrote: »
    iv only just arrived in my sweet homeland of eire after a 72 hour delay to find the road were unsalted and frozen solid,how do ye poeple live!if this was new york god help the cops

..... yes yes Ireland is the backwater of everything,. if you don't like it lump back to where ever you live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

hsi wrote: »
    ..... yes yes Ireland is the backwater of everything,. if you don't like it lump back to where ever you live.

I would agree there, it always makes me laugh when people compare our infastructure to that of much much larger countries. We are a small Island with a population of just over 4 million people, some people tend to forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Welcome Home!! I too have came home to Mayo for the holidays..... I am shocked at the state of the roads. They have not seen a bit of salt, a small bit of grit , yes! but not one grain of salt. Not the Guards fault though. People worked so hard to keep our airport open (Knock) but, the roads leading to it are so dangerous. Are they sparing the salt?? Why?? Belmullet was lethal. (Ok now that the rain has washed away the snow) but before that, they were so dangerous. Bangor to Belmullet, not treated at all. Why is this? Why can other local authorities manage to keep main roads safe but not Mayo? Why did people elect local people to represent them, if they dont even car about their safety??

Anyway after the rant.....enjoy the break!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

astra2000 wrote: »
    I would agree there, it always makes me laugh when people compare our infastructure to that of much much larger countries. We are a small Island with a population of just over 4 million people, some people tend to forget that.
    We don't come out too well in comparisons with other small countries either. I'm not sure what we hope to gain by pretending that we don't do some things very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

gunne wrote: »

A certain irony

bg_Snow1226Bensonhurst.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

Even New York has problems gritting the roads!. And I presume we can call them advanced. Mayo CC did a good job of gritting all the major roads in Mayo, All the Multinationals here were able to export.

266702_1.jpg?ts=1293458496

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Complete over reaction i think on the OP's behalf. Mayo CoCo did as good a job as they could considering. All the main roads were passable, fair enough the side roads were not great but I think this can be said of the majority of countries, as per the photos above show! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yop wrote: »
    Complete over reaction i think on the OP's behalf. Mayo CoCo did as good a job as they could considering. All the main roads were passable, fair enough the side roads were not great but I think this can be said of the majority of countries, as per the photos above show! :)

No they didn't, Roscommon main roads were much better. My Dad travelled to Dublin a few times in the coldest weather and noted that further up the country, in Longford and Westmeath they were near perfect, even at the coldest -15 temperatures. Travelling west along the N5 there was a noticeable difference once You crossed the border from Roscommon in Carracastle. The main roads in Roscommon were ploughed early and gritted well, the roads in Mayo weren't. The Charlestown/Swinford bypass was a disgrace, there's no excuse for not sending the plough out as the snow is falling, thats the time to plough, even without salt or grit, but they didn't bother.

yop wrote: »
    The photos above are of New York after it got a couple of feet of snow dumped on it overnight.

I've been in Denmark for the past week and a half. The temperature hasn't risen near zero as long as I've been here, with overnight lows past -20 and one day when it was -17 at lunchtime. I have a video clip on my phone of a drive along the equivalent of an Irish L road that was clear of snow and ice. Snow ploughs are continually active on almost all roads, and they spread salt where necessary. Housing estates that don't qualify for snowploughs have containers of grit delivered by the council so the locals can clear and grit themselves.

It's not like this is Siberia, either: this year was apparently the first time in a century they've recorded two consecutive white Christmases.

It also helps that you can't even apply for a driving test until you've done something like two hours of training on either ice or a similarly slippery surface on top of the rest of your formal driving instruction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No they didn't, Roscommon main roads were much better. My Dad travelled to Dublin a few times in the coldest weather and noted that further up the country, in Longford and Westmeath they were near perfect, even at the coldest -15 temperatures. Travelling west along the N5 there was a noticeable difference once You crossed the border from Roscommon in Carracastle. The main roads in Roscommon were ploughed early and gritted well, the roads in Mayo weren't. The Charlestown/Swinford bypass was a disgrace, there's no excuse for not sending the plough out as the snow is falling, thats the time to plough, even without salt or grit, but they didn't bother.

Been up and down to Dublin each week since it started and Ros was by far the worst county with regards gritin or clearing. Mayo was probably next but then again I was in Dublin a month back when they got it up there and the 3 lane motorways were down to 1 and roads around Naas were lethal. So you can't just shoot down Mayo CoCo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The photos above are of New York after it got a couple of feet of snow dumped on it overnight.

I've been in Denmark for the past week and a half. The temperature hasn't risen near zero as long as I've been here, with overnight lows past -20 and one day when it was -17 at lunchtime. I have a video clip on my phone of a drive along the equivalent of an Irish L road that was clear of snow and ice. Snow ploughs are continually active on almost all roads, and they spread salt where necessary. Housing estates that don't qualify for snowploughs have containers of grit delivered by the council so the locals can clear and grit themselves.

It's not like this is Siberia, either: this year was apparently the first time in a century they've recorded two consecutive white Christmases.

It also helps that you can't even apply for a driving test until you've done something like two hours of training on either ice or a similarly slippery surface on top of the rest of your formal driving instruction.

And as you say, it is like that for lengthy periods of time while we have only had two consecutive white christmases. So tell me how we can justify the expenditure on equipment that might not be used for years because of our usually temperate climate?? Its impossible to justify buying equipment to plough each and every single side road and main road in the country with our climate.

And as you say, it is like that for lengthy periods of time while we have only had two consecutive white christmases.
    Actually, I said Denmark had only had two consecutive white Christmases. :)
    So tell me how we can justify the expenditure on equipment that might not be used for years because of our usually temperate climate?? Its impossible to justify buying equipment to plough each and every single side road and main road in the country with our climate.
    The snowploughs they use in Denmark look exactly like our gritting trucks, except with big plough blades on the front. It's not like we'd have to buy new vehicles, just retrofit the ones we've got.

Whatever about clearing every side road, it would be a start if we could have kept every national primary and secondary clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

We have the plough attachments for the gritting trucks, the council just don't use them for some reason. Every truck has the attachment on the front to take the blade

Advertisement