Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leatherman Mut

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Personally, I do not like rifles that requires any special tools to do a field strip or clean. Even a screw driver or allen wrench is asking too much.

Anyone ever take a Mauser K98 down? That's the way they should be built.

Had a Walther P22 once, and I stress once. Several silly tools required to take it down.

With that said, I do love the Leatherman series. Got one, couldn't tell you the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Personally, I do not like rifles that requires any special tools to do a field strip or clean. Even a screw driver or allen wrench is asking too much.

Anyone ever take a Mauser K98 down? That's the way they should be built.

Had a Walther P22 once, and I stress once. Several silly tools required to take it down.

With that said, I do love the Leatherman series. Got one, couldn't tell you the model.

I can strip and assemble a ll my rifles with relative easy.

Not sure what exactly the bolt tool is for.

I don't want to spend €200~ on the top end leatherman when a lesser one would do.
    It's my christmas prezzie to me, one off gift.

I want to get my name etched on it too!

What's this one go for in the states? How much in Eire?

What's this one go for in the states? How much in Eire?

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/leatherman/leatherman-military-le/leatherman-mut-eod

$159 but they don't post outside USA

http://americanexports.ie/multi/combo/778/39/194.00/519/11/MUT_EOD_Bit_Kit.htm

€200 from the above crowd. If it is only of use to an AR platform then it is very expensive

Some cut wire, others are a pliers but none seem to do both well

MUT EOD
    + Bit Kit
    205.00€
    Details for Leatherman MUT EOD
    Tools:420HC Stainless Steel Clip Point Combo Straight/Serrated KnifeNeedlenose Pliers with Military Performance Spec Cap Crimpers154CM Replaceable Fuse-wire CuttersStranded Wire CuttersSawHammerReplaceable Cutting HookBolt Override ToolReplaceable C4 PunchReplaceable Carbon ScraperCleaning Rod/Brush AdaptersCarabiner ClipBottle OpenerLarge Bit DriverElectrical CrimperIncluded bits: Phillips #1-2 and 3/16, Phillips #2 and 1/4 Screwdriver, Torx #15 and Hex 7/64

Features:Stainless Steel BodyStainless Steel HandlesBronze Carbon Scraper and Titanium Pocket ClipBlack Oxide Version AvailableAll Locking Blades and ToolsOutside-accessible Blades for One-handed OpeningRemovable Pocket ClipMOLLE Sheath1/2" and 3/8" Wrench Accessory25-Year Warranty
    Measurements:Length:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

When in doubt, youtube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyLbgvL_aDo

As much as Id love 1 I couldnt justify spending the money on another multitool

Its very big (ive 2 leatherman waves and a SOG to compare it to) and heavy, while it doesnt affect shooters here but soldiers using it wouldnt appreciate the extra weight

Realisticly its firstly designed for the AR platform with features that could be used on other firearms (mainly pistols and semi autos IMO) but for the price of it you could fill a tool box with gear that it that will do the job better (IMO)

If you dont have a multitool or any tools relating to stripping a firearm then i could see them as a good buy.

http://americanexports.ie/multi/combo/778/39/194.00/519/11/MUT_EOD_Bit_Kit.htm

€200 from the above crowd. If it is only of use to an AR platform then it is very expensive

Some cut wire, others are a pliers but none seem to do both well

MUT EOD
    + Bit Kit
    205.00€
    Details for Leatherman MUT EOD
    Tools:420HC Stainless Steel Clip Point Combo Straight/Serrated KnifeNeedlenose Pliers with Military Performance Spec Cap Crimpers154CM Replaceable Fuse-wire CuttersStranded Wire CuttersSawHammerReplaceable Cutting HookBolt Override ToolReplaceable C4 PunchReplaceable Carbon ScraperCleaning Rod/Brush AdaptersCarabiner ClipBottle OpenerLarge Bit DriverElectrical CrimperIncluded bits: Phillips #1-2 and 3/16, Phillips #2 and 1/4 Screwdriver, Torx #15 and Hex 7/64

Features:Stainless Steel BodyStainless Steel HandlesBronze Carbon Scraper and Titanium Pocket ClipBlack Oxide Version AvailableAll Locking Blades and ToolsOutside-accessible Blades for One-handed OpeningRemovable Pocket ClipMOLLE Sheath1/2" and 3/8" Wrench Accessory25-Year Warranty
    Measurements:Length:

I have a SOG EOD.... its excellent ... for ... well EOD lol....

When in doubt, youtube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyLbgvL_aDo

As much as Id love 1 I couldnt justify spending the money on another multitool

Its very big (ive 2 leatherman waves and a SOG to compare it to) and heavy, while it doesnt affect shooters here but soldiers using it wouldnt appreciate the extra weight

Realisticly its firstly designed for the AR platform with features that could be used on other firearms (mainly pistols and semi autos IMO) but for the price of it you could fill a tool box with gear that it that will do the job better (IMO)

If you dont have a multitool or any tools relating to stripping a firearm then i could see them as a good buy.

I have a Swiss Army knife, I just like the concept of the leather pouch and Pliers.
    It is very expensive.
    I have a semi Auto shotgun and a Pistol, however I do not need a punch to take either of them apart.

I'd be concerned would they rut?

I do like the idea of the bronze reamer for taking carbon off my 12g.

The wire crimper would be useful if I did more of it, however I have tool in work for said job, and I rarely if ever crimp connectors at home.

I blame dCorbus for this.
    I did not know the MUT exited until he posted a link.
    Now I am intrigued.

However, I was intrigued about an Ipod to run JBL until I discovered that it was crap as a phone :D

I have the spends at the mo, I might not5 have them later in the year to squander €200 on a toy ;)

I have a Swiss Army knife, I just like the concept of the leather pouch and Pliers.
    It is very expensive.
    I have a semi Auto shotgun and a Pistol, however I do not need a punch to take either of them apart.

I'd be concerned would they rut?

I do like the idea of the bronze reamer for taking carbon off my 12g.

The wire crimper would be useful if I did more of it, however I have tool in work for said job, and I rarely if ever crimp connectors at home.

I blame dCorbus for this.
    I did not know the MUT exited until he posted a link.
    Now I am intrigued.

However, I was intrigued about an Ipod to run JBL until I discovered that it was crap as a phone :D

I have the spends at the mo, I might not5 have them later in the year to squander €200 on a toy ;)

For carbon Ive treated all my guns with "Militec-1". It bonds to the metal on a molecular level so carbon wipes off ! Worst case senario Id use a bit of green scouring pad to take carbon off ( that is after a week of firing and only cleaning once)

Copper will work just as well as a scraper.. if you can get a piece of copper pipe, flatten 1 end in a vice and then file or cut to required size and shape :)

are you concerned about rust ???

Tack,
    Here's a few other places.

$117 (not including shipping)
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/63733

Optics Planet - $149.85 free shipping + 5% coupons out there
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/leatherman-mut-multi-tool-leatherman-tools.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Hi tack. I have 2 of the leterman wave and the are never more than a arms reach away from me. They are very handy and strong. The blades keep their edge very well. I have had both of them for years and use them daily and they still look fresh.
    I also have a victronox multitool similar to the wave. But I find the wave handier to use and light and easy to carry.

The mutt looks cool and if I had €200 to spend I would probably buy one. But I would still end up carring the wave with me.

If you get one I want a look at it.

For carbon Ive treated all my guns with "Militec-1". It bonds to the metal on a molecular level so carbon wipes off ! Worst case senario Id use a bit of green scouring pad to take carbon off ( that is after a week of firing and only cleaning once)

Copper will work just as well as a scraper.. if you can get a piece of copper pipe, flatten 1 end in a vice and then file or cut to required size and shape :)

are you concerned about RUST ???

Sorry, earlier spelling mistake of RUST.

Are the blades coated with a material that easily scrapes off?
    And if the coating scrapes off will the blades rust?

All the bits you mention I have covered before.
    i have a toolbox for my tools.

I'm only considering the Leatherman as a handy thing to have on the belt buckle in an emergency.

Not sure if i would be doing much wire crimping with one, I do use the mini Gerber I have a lot as a small pliers though

Tack,
    Here's a few other places.

$117 (not including shipping)
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/63733

Optics Planet - $149.85 free shipping + 5% coupons out there
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/leatherman-mut-multi-tool-leatherman-tools.html

Do Optics planet Ship to Eiré?

Sorry, earlier spelling mistake of RUST.

Are the blades coated with a material that easily scrapes off?
    And if the coating scrapes off will the blades rust?

All the bits you mention I have covered before.
    i have a toolbox for my tools.

I'm only considering the Leatherman as a handy thing to have on the belt buckle in an emergency.

Not sure if i would be doing much wire crimping with one, I do use the mini Gerber I have a lot as a small pliers though

I have to say that i really abuse my leathermans but they have never rusted. The black coating on them does wear off though. ... but still doesnt rust underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Do Optics planet Ship to Eiré?

I have got stuff from them before and according to their website they still do ship most items internationally LINK

But you would probably have to pay duties and VAT on top of that price as some of the couriers will pay these directly per consignment being imported and claim them back from each person at point of delivery. That happened to me with a scope a few years ago and I think it was with UPS, but its been a few years and things might have changed.

Not sure how USPS are though and hear it can be hit or miss as to whether you will have to pay the import duties and VAT.

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    I have got stuff from them before and according to their website they still do ship most items internationally LINK

But you would probably have to pay duties and VAT on top of that price as some of the couriers will pay these directly per consignment being imported and claim them back from each person at point of delivery. That happened to me with a scope a few years ago and I think it was with UPS, but its been a few years and things might have changed.

Not sure how USPS are though and hear it can be hit or miss as to whether you will have to pay the import duties and VAT.

Ordered stuff from brownells this time last year. when it didnt arrive brownells sent it again via registered post.

When it was delivered id to pay 15 euro duty and 15 euro handling charge Via fedEx...............

What was in the parcel was worth €60 !

Tac..... be carefull... id say 99% positive that youll get caught to pay VAT these days !

Ordered stuff from brownells this time last year. when it didnt arrive brownells sent it again via registered post.

When it was delivered id to pay 15 euro duty and 15 euro handling charge Via fedEx...............

What was in the parcel was worth €60 !

Tac..... be carefull... id say 99% positive that youll get caught to pay VAT these days !

I don't have a problem with VAT, once I know how much it will be.

E200 seems to be the cheapest from that Americian guy in spain. as spain is EU same VAT is paid there.

The more I look I see huge difference in shipping costs and unit costs, however when they are combined together they are all much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Try Petersons in Dublin, I'd been thinking of getting the MUT so did some price checking. They had the MUT & EOD for about the €200 mark.

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Try Petersons in Dublin, I'd been thinking of getting the MUT so did some price checking. They had the MUT & EOD for about the €200 mark.

Just looking there now, I wonder is that before or after VAT & what is Delivery €179 & €172 on the website for the MUT Utility and MUT EOD..

Now I just have to figure out whuich one is more useful and value for Money :D

Anyone ever buy off Peterson's website?

Scully in Athlone is an agent (but I could not listen to his spoof)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Haven't bought off them, but I will say as Leatherman reps, they are a credit.
    I had a Charge ALX snap one half of the pliers off, I contacted them wondering how I might be covered warranty wise, and could it be fixed. Was told simply post it up. 1 week later got a brand new one in the post.
    No quizzing on where it was bought, or show receipt, or warrantee cards. That's excellent back up as far as I'm concerned.

I just purchased off Petersons of Dublin

This is the Mail I recieved yesterday. I ordered Today and hope to have it tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on New year postage.
    Registered Postage

Subject: RE: Leatherman MUT Multitools

Hello

Apologies for the delay in replying we have only re opened after Christmas. We have the Leatherman MUT which is reduced by 20% from €172.50 to €138.00 or the Leatherman MUT EOD Black which is €179.00 down to €143.20.

Postage is an additional €10 for registered post or alternatively you can come in and buy it from our shop on Grafton Street.

Many thanks
    Glen Whelan
    Peterson Of Dublin
    117 Grafton Street
    Dublin 2
    Republic of Ireland

Ph: 00353-1-6714652
    Fax: 00353-1-6725105
    Email: shop@peterson.ie

Visit our website - www.peterson.ie

All mail orders are sent via insured registered post. Customers who decline registered post are not insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I just purchased off Petersons of Dublin

This is the Mail I recieved yesterday. I ordered Today and hope to have it tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on New year postage.
    Registered Postage

Subject: RE: Leatherman MUT Multitools

Hello

Apologies for the delay in replying we have only re opened after Christmas. We have the Leatherman MUT which is reduced by 20% from €172.50 to €138.00 or the Leatherman MUT EOD Black which is €179.00 down to €143.20.

Postage is an additional €10 for registered post or alternatively you can come in and buy it from our shop on Grafton Street.

Many thanks
    Glen Whelan
    Peterson Of Dublin
    117 Grafton Street
    Dublin 2
    Republic of Ireland

Ph: 00353-1-6714652
    Fax: 00353-1-6725105
    Email: shop@peterson.ie

Visit our website - www.peterson.ie

All mail orders are sent via insured registered post. Customers who decline registered post are not insured.

Well done. You got it cheaper than you thought. I new you would end up getting one.

the wrong Feckin MUT
    I wanted the Pliers but I got this :(

Returned in the post today.
    €6.50 out of my pocket.

I got the smell of trouble when I recieved conflicting E-mails from Petersons yesterday.

One guy stating they were out of stock.
    The other guy said he had posted it
    MUT_EOD.jpg

not

LeathermanmutMUT02.jpg

Petersons on the blower today, 2 weeks min to get my MUT.

Anyone purchased one prior to me?

has anyone got the Brownells cleaning kit for it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thegamesman

the wrong Feckin MUT
    I wanted the Pliers but I got this :(

Returned in the post today.
    €6.50 out of my pocket.

I got the smell of trouble when I recieved conflicting E-mails from Petersons yesterday.

One guy stating they were out of stock.
    The other guy said he had posted it
    MUT_EOD.jpg

not

LeathermanmutMUT02.jpg

Have to say I have never had a bit of trouble dealing with Peterson. I have been calling into the shops for years now and find the staff nothing but helpful and informative. Any requests i have had they have gone out of their way to get meet my needs as promplty as possible.

I bought the MUT and the tool is fantastic and their current price will not be bettered anywhere

Have to say I have never had a bit of trouble dealing with Peterson. I have been calling into the shops for years now and find the staff nothing but helpful and informative. Any requests i have had they have gone out of their way to get meet my needs as promplty as possible.

I bought the MUT and the tool is fantastic and their current price will not be bettered anywhere

+1
    They rang me back today, Shipped today from USA.
    And they are getting a few more in. I mentioned a few associates would be interested in them, at that price ;)

I'm a Happy Camper (again)

`15 days after being Told my Leatherman was on teh way a Parcel arrives from Peterson's of Dublin.

I was in work at the time so teh old folks signed for it.

I arrived home late this evening.
    I was so looking forward to seeing and using it.

Playing Soldiers tomorrow so it would be used for the job intended.

So I open the Parcel
    and I see.....................

A FUC*ING BOX OF CUBAN CIGARS!
    In teh Name of Jaysus are they havin a Laugh???:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::m

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

A FUC*ING BOX OF CUBAN CIGARS!

:D:D:D:D:D
    On the plus side, you could have 5 Mut's worth in your hands. What type are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Did you look at the Sog range?

I rate them above Leatherman/Gerber/Victorinox having had all three previously.

Advertisement