Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Galway like for New Years?

Options
  • 25-12-2010 4:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Can't really remember last years as I was fairly Taoiseached, but I never went into town I know that much. I'm hoping to avoid town again this year, based on what it's like Halloween night and Rag Week (don't get me wrong I love Rag Week, but the clubs at night are horrible).

Does everywhere charge in? Do the pubs put on a cover charge?

Comments

I think most places charge in. We went to the Roisin Dubh last year, which was good fun. There was a band playing and if you wanted to see them, you had to pay, so everywhere else but the back part was free. I would absolutely hate to be in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

All the clubs are more pricey than usual, 12 or 15 into cps or halo I think, town is generally mad, queues everywhere to get in, very early as well. Everywhere just fills up. Ive had a few good ones though, as long as ya head early, you will get in somewhere and its always fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

New years last year was a disaster for me, everywhere was really expensive in town and i couldn't get a taxi for i'd say nearly 3 hours after clubs shut, I'd say stick to bars and make sure your way home is sorted, sitting in supermacs for ages really drains your wallet haha. it can be great craic though, i just think clubs are kinda ****ty on new years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Went to Kellys last NYE, it was free in before 8 and upstairs was open as well. As stated if there is a crowd of ye get in early and hog your tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I heard the Radison is booked out, is there something big on there?
    Thinking of going o'conners might be some craic there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Theres this for a change from the norm....

5262635969_57fee30777_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'll be avoiding the "mainstream" clubs this year after some really bad experiences in past years. (And I'm not easily shaken!). Have been to the Roisin for it before and that was good, they have a good lineup this year and entry to see the bands won't break the bank. Was also considering the Nitty Gritty, as posted above, but haven't heard anything about what it was like last year.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I'll be avoiding the "mainstream" clubs this year after some really bad experiences in past years. (And I'm not easily shaken!). Have been to the Roisin for it before and that was good, they have a good lineup this year and entry to see the bands won't break the bank. Was also considering the Nitty Gritty, as posted above, but haven't heard anything about what it was like last year.

I can't really say as I am involved and would therefore be biased but last years was an absolute belter as was the year before. We have a Facebook page with video of the first NY night we did.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=157243827655841
    This year we are using a new venue. Its a bit bigger and a bit out of town (5 mins out the road is 'out of town' for Galway folk) but I think that will add to it. This night definitely has more character than any other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

everywhere gets packed quick and fast and are very choosey on attire. Skeff was free in last year and I think 903 is this year.

Ya can dress like ya want in salthill :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

everywhere gets packed quick and fast and are very choosey on attire. Skeff was free in last year and I think 903 is this year.

When you say "fairly choosy" do you mean they suddenly decide you need a shirt and shoes? Is that everywhere or just the up-their-own arse places like Cps, Halo and Karma?

Personally I hate it when I'm out and I see someone wearing trainers, it ruins my night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Newbie_2009

What time do the main late bars like Front door and Kellys get wedged at on NYE? 10pm?? The last time I was out in Galway on NYE was in Halo and it wasnt packed reasonable size crowd, there was an awful lot of Dublin blow ins there for NYE. It wasnt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Personally I hate it when I'm out and I see someone wearing trainers, it ruins my night :pac:

You're too sensitive, poor thing!:p;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

What time do the main late bars like Front door and Kellys get wedged at on NYE? 10pm?? The last time I was out in Galway on NYE was in Halo and it wasnt packed reasonable size crowd, there was an awful lot of Dublin blow ins there for NYE. It wasnt great.

I'd say the Halo D4 G4 crowd were sickened that the real deal had showed up :pac:

Advertisement