Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO WATER

Options
  • 25-12-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

HEY LIVING IN JOHNSTOWN HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WATER ONLY KITCHEN HAVE A WATER ALL TIME. NO WATER IN TANK IN SO CAN I USE HEATING IN HOUSE CONFUSED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Same here.
    Use heating as normal but use hot tap sparingly and only flush toilets if absolutely nessassery as the water ces from the tank on the attic and won't refill if the pipes are frozen or if the water is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Coventry

Water supply to house ceased yesterday (25th Dec), now central heating stopped working, help, want to avoid burst pipes. Any way to get gas boiler up and running and is there a possibility that the heating stopped because the external pip to boiler is frozen or would it be a boiler issue (it is not a condenser boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or the existing 'no water in navan' thread HERE.

ALTHOUGH if your cold tap in the kitchen IS working but the others aren't and you still have fresh water then your water tank in the attic is most likely frozen which is where your other cold taps (apart from your kitchen) and boiler (and consequently your radiators) get their water from.

in ireland, fresh water from outside comes in at where your kitchen tap is and the water that comes out of that tap is fresh. then the pipe goes up to your attic where there is a big tank that is filled with cold water from that pipe. this water is then fed to your gas or oil fired boiler for heating, then from there on to your hot water tank and out to your radiators and ho taps.

when all this non-fresh (i.e. you aren't supposed to be drinking it) water is fed from the cold water tank in your attic, a float attached to a valve like you get in the toilet drops down and turns on a valve to supply more fresh cold water from your incoming pipe and tops up the cold water in this tank.

as it has been very cold recently, your attic (which is only insulated on the floor to keep the heat from escaping from your house into the attic and then out through your roof, not in the inside of the roof to keep the heat from escaping the attic) has probably dropped below freezing and the top of the water in the tank has frozen with the float in it holding it in the 'off' position so that as you have been using water from the tank the valve is staying shut and has not been topping up the cold water tank.

chances are this is all redundant now that it has warmed up a bit, but it might be useful for you if it happens again.

i have a friend who is an electrician and recently he has been very busy fitting a halogen heat lamp in peoples attics that has a temperature sensor and automatically comes on if the temp in the attic drops below freezing which stops this from happening to people.

ironically enough, i have pretty poor attic insulation myself and because of this enough heat escapes from the upstairs ceiling in my house to the attic that i've never actually had problems with the tank freezing, although i've learnt all about it from my mate as he's been fitting loads of these little gizmo's since the cold spell started. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Coventry

those attic light/heaters sound interesting, how does one go about getting one? Bye the way, lost water on Christmas eve, apparently the stop cock on the pavement outside my drive is only about 2 inches below the ground, this is the case we have discovered with a number of houses on my road, the theory by various people is that our drives are so cold that the pipes (which are not sunk low enough) are frozen and we are without water since Christmas eve.

South Dublin county council say that the stop cock on the public pavement is not their responsibility, we cannot get it lowered without a licence from them!

they are not taking any action as the public pavement stop cock is OUR RESPONSIBILITY.

• Advertisement
Advertisement