Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Home

Options
  • 25-12-2010 1:42pm

I'm beginning to think that my family home may be haunted. It's a relatively new building - we built it about 6 years ago, but some strange things have been happening recently.

One of the rooms is constantly cold. No matter what, it's freezing in there. We got a new puppy this year and there's been many an occasions where it's been just me in the house and she would be upstairs on the landing just growling; this is usually outside the room that is constantly freezing. Sometimes she would come into my room and be kinda scared. Every now and again, there would be bangs coming from upstairs, it's hard to tell if it's from pipes or what, but usually these bangs would be around the same time that Musha, our puppy, would start growling.

The house is built near the banks of the river and about 20-30 years ago, a young girl drowned on what is now our land.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Sounds like you need to do more detailed research on the history of the land the house is built on.

I know that there was once a massive gate where our house is now and a laneway that leads down towards what is described as a manor house, called Gardenfield House.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i wouldnt read anything into it. Theres a zillion reasons why rooms can be cold and a zillion other reasons why pups and dogs bark at nothing so i wouldnt reckon its anything paranormal tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The dog senses the spirits :)..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Can I ask what direction the window of the room faces , North/South ect..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

have u been taking any funny stuff lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 uroullad

the fact that you'd consider a dog barking and noises around you house to have something to do with ghosts is pretty depressing. maybe go outside and live you life and you wont have to worry about it

The regulars on this forum know that I've experienced some extremely weird and extremely freaky moments, so I would be absolutely delighted if it turns out this was absolutely nothing whatsoever!

I'm not entirely sure, Grimes - will find out in the morning though.

well im obviously new to boards.ie, so I clearly wouldnt be aware of any experienced you have shared with the board in the past...but I find it hard to believe because I wouldnt normally believe in ghosts...so what has happened to you before?

uroullad wrote: »
    well im obviously new to boards.ie, so I clearly wouldnt be aware of any experienced you have shared with the board in the past...but I find it hard to believe because I wouldnt normally believe in ghosts...so what has happened to you before?

If you don't believe, then why exactly on a forum about this subject?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055284694
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055292293
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055356350
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054896242

Those are posts/threads relating to what has happened to me.

• Advertisement

The regulars on this forum know that I've experienced some extremely weird and extremely freaky moments, so I would be absolutely delighted if it turns out this was absolutely nothing whatsoever!

I'm not entirely sure, Grimes - will find out in the morning though.

Thanks,its just that if you have a north facing room that never gets sunlight they can be awfully cold. I have a room like that in my house,it also has a weird feeling (and some strange sounds) but I havnt looked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The dog senses the spirits :)..

Have that with my dog too
    Bought 3 years ago an old derelict cottage and im doing it up
    The only problem i have is there is no way that i get my dog inside that cottage
    If i try he starts showing his teeth his hair is going up and starts barking
    while im doing it up made loads of pics
    the pics shows loads of orbs
    People dont believe me and says its just dust
    Some pics u see real faces on it we dont recognize
    Cottage is 100 years old they told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If you are interested in the paranormal and this sort of thing, if you can afford it, get a top camera (one which can rule out orbs and know how to control your enviornment) and a recorder to record a room or rooms for 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Have that with my dog too
    Bought 3 years ago an old derelict cottage and im doing it up
    The only problem i have is there is no way that i get my dog inside that cottage
    If i try he starts showing his teeth his hair is going up and starts barking
    while im doing it up made loads of pics
    the pics shows loads of orbs
    People dont believe me and says its just dust
    Some pics u see real faces on it we dont recognize
    Cottage is 100 years old they told me

1) put a big juicy steak on the threshold
    2) doing up the house = dust = 'orbs'
    3) pareidolia

Sorted.

gondorff wrote: »
    You need to seek professional psychiatric help. Seriously.

I second that, I reckon you've something loose in your head rather than a haunted house

uroullad wrote: »
    I second that, I reckon you've something loose in your head rather than a haunted house

Is that your professional opinion?

Grimes, just checked and that room faces West.

@uroullad - what have you experienced, if anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

You could try putting a thermometer in the room and get an accurate recording of the temps.. Is there any electrical cabling running through the room, EM fields can make people and animals feel a bit odd.. This might be more likely in a new or recently renovated house..
    http://www.sgha.net/research/electricalsensitivetest.html

I'm not sure if EM monitors are readily available but it might be worth checking.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It doesn't seem like you've anything to worry about at the moment - dogs and cats bark/meow at anything at all, including dust flying through the air, a breeze or radiators creaking etc.
    As they are quite perceptive, they can also sense electrical surges. Maybe check that the house is wired properly?
    In my experience, new houses are as noisy as any old house, and will take some time to settle.
    I am not a skeptic, but without any other concrete evidence it seems like average house problems. I've lived in houses that were strange and creepy that had serious electrical problems and freezing rooms, and in houses without problems where I've actually seen stuff.

Advertisement