Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying in the cold

Options
  • 25-12-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Most likely a silly question.

Have an easystar multiplex beginner plane. Can it be flown in -6 conditions?

The empty golf course across the road is looking very tempting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

DonalN wrote: »
    Most likely a silly question.

Have an easystar multiplex beginner plane. Can it be flown in -6 conditions?

The empty golf course across the road is looking very tempting!

Yes no problem once your hands are able for it, get gloves and cut finger or 2 out of them. I have flown the cularis in below zero a few times this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Apart from frsotbitten fingers, the cold will also sap the power in your lipos quite quickly. I've found that my flight times have been reduced by up to 40% in the cold weather. Lipos don't appear to like the cold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If using lipos in cold weather, keep the battery in your pocket until right before the flight.
    Huge performance benefit on the plus side. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They actually tend to still give out the same capacity when cold, they just cant give it out as fast as when warm and so the voltage drops, so low voltage cut offs come on during flight when there is a heavy load on them. I used to see the Trex 600 low voltage warning come on early in flight, but id keep hovering and it would go off as the battery heated from the load, then it was normal flight.

But keeping them warm before the flight sorted that. On the gliders the flights are so long that the batteries will go cold again anyway, but i use a C rating well above whats needed so they work more or less the same in the gliders then, and they are not as noticable when a little below full power as the t-rex would be.

Flew the radian a few weeks ago in -7 or 8, but from the tv in the living room where it was nice and warm. Flight was the same length as normal. I use 2200mah in them radians which might be of interest to you Dave. Gives a lot more capacity with not too big a percentage weight increase. Also makes them better at going into the wind with the extra bit of weight.

Advertisement