Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS1/PSone Mod Chips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Should have been the tag line for the game. :D

It would have been allowed in the 90's too! :D

Retr0, was your PS1 opened up before? There was something rolling around in it which turned out to be a screw :confused: How it didn't short anything I don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    Retr0, was your PS1 opened up before? There was something rolling around in it which turned out to be a screw :confused: How it didn't short anything I don't know...

If it was the one I gave him then yes. I opened it up to find out what that rattling was too but couldn't get it :(

If it was the one I gave him then yes. I opened it up to find out what that rattling was too but couldn't get it :(

Ah mystery solved so, luckily it didn't do any damaiste :)

Anyway, it's booting everything I throw at it Retr0, first time no boot disc needed. However there's one thing confusing me. This is the first one I've done through the tv ok, & it's rf for the moment. All the import discs look exactly the same as a 60Hz Megadrive on RF though my tv (that means black & white & the image is jumping about a bit). Is this because it's rf? I'll look into it later on, but I know it's not hardware related. It's either something on the import discs, or down to rf.

Ah mystery solved so, luckily it didn't do any damáiste :)

:mad: 8 years of enduring Irish primary school allows me to fyp!

There's also some rattling in my PSOne, but I can't bring myself to break the warranty seal on it! So it just sits there, ignored and sulky.

:mad: 8 years of enduring Irish primary school allows me to fyp!

There's also some rattling in my PSOne, but I can't bring myself to break the warranty seal on it! So it just sits there, ignored and sulky.

Well in this case I can honestly say I havn't the faintest idea how to make a fada :D

A PS1 with a warranty seal? Wow, I thought they'd all be cracked open for new lasers by now :p

Ctrl + Alt + Vowel = áéíóú

I'm banking on it being the only one that's still a virgin in years to come.

Ctrl + Alt + Vowel = áéíóú

I'm banking on it being the only one that's still a virgin in years to come.

Cmon man, I only recently leared how to do a € sign, & that still takes me two or three attempts sometimes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah mystery solved so, luckily it didn't do any damaiste :)

Anyway, it's booting everything I throw at it Retr0, first time no boot disc needed. However there's one thing confusing me. This is the first one I've done through the tv ok, & it's rf for the moment. All the import discs look exactly the same as a 60Hz Megadrive on RF though my tv (that means black & white & the image is jumping about a bit). Is this because it's rf? I'll look into it later on, but I know it's not hardware related. It's either something on the import discs, or down to rf.

That probably means your tv doesn't support NTSC.

Only way to test it out is via RGB as that bypasses the whole NTSC issue.

That probably means your tv doesn't support NTSC.

Only way to test it out is via RGB as that bypasses the whole NTSC issue.

But I can play Megadrives in 60Hz in perfectly via RBG? Does that still mean it doesn't support NTSC? I get confused at all this format talk sometimes :D

Actually the discs that were making your PAL lcd screen roll, are the ones playing in b&w...would that mean anything either way? The ones I patched with the colour fix are playing perfectly, though again that could be just down to either rf or my tv :confused:

ANYONE GIVING ME CONSOLES IN FUTURE GIVE IT WITH RGB OR SCART :D:D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

But I can play Megadrives in 60Hz in perfectly via RBG? Does that still mean it doesn't support NTSC? I get confused at all this format talk sometimes :D

Actually the discs that were making your PAL lcd screen roll, are the ones playing in b&w...would that mean anything either way? The ones I patched with the colour fix are playing perfectly, though again that could be just down to either rf or my tv :confused:

ANYONE GIVING ME CONSOLES IN FUTURE GIVE IT WITH RGB OR SCART :D:D

When it comes to standard stuff, 60hz NTSC will display in black and white (and sometimes roll) on a PAL 50hz tv that doesn't support it. Which is most old PAL CRTs. This will happen through cables like RF and AV.

RGB is this magical signal outside of the world of standard signals. It completely bypasses NTSC and just displays everything properly at 60hz in full colour. Even if the TV wouldn't normally support NTSC 60hz.

Another selling point for RGB. I couldn't believe it when I first found that out as I thought I wouldn't be able to play JAP/US consoles on my CRT.

Edit/ if the NSTC games are rolling on my PSone it means that the LCD screen probably doesn't support RGB...I wouldn't be suprised as picture quality wise, RGB is a bit worthless on such a small screen. The quality difference wouldn't be noticeable.

So the true test of that Playstation is RGB cable into an RGB slot...and hope for the best. Do you not even have an RGB cable for your ps2 no? For shame!

When it comes to standard stuff, 60hz NTSC will display in black and white (and sometimes roll) on a PAL 50hz tv that doesn't support it. Which is most old PAL CRTs. This will happen through cables like RF and AV.

RGB is this magical signal outside of the world of standard signals. It completely bypasses NTSC and just displays everything properly at 60hz in full colour. Even if the TV wouldn't normally support NTSC 60hz.

Another selling point for RGB. I couldn't believe it when I first found that out as I thought I wouldn't be able to play JAP/US consoles on my CRT.

But I'm using a 42" 100Hz Plasma...I would have thought it would do NTSC, but again maybe that's just as you said because of a standard connection (rf).

Edit/ if the NSTC games are rolling on my PSone it means that the LCD screen probably doesn't support RGB...I wouldn't be suprised as picture quality wise, RGB is a bit worthless on such a small screen. The quality difference wouldn't be noticeable.

So the true test of that Playstation is RGB cable into an RGB slot...and hope for the best. Do you not even have an RGB cable for your ps2 no? For shame!

Ah I see, maybe so. Are there PAL & NTSC versions of those screen also?

I do have the standard PS2 conenction, does that fit the PS1? If so I'll trawl up & dig it out tommorow & try it out :)

Master of the Universe

But I'm using a 42" 100Hz Plasma...I would have thought it would do NTSC, but again maybe that's just as you said because of a standard connection (rf).

Your tv probably does do NTSC through the scart sockets...but RF is very old tech. I'm not too up on that to be honest...I think your RF jack is either PAL or NTSC. I've never come across a PAL tv that supported NTSC consoles through the RF jack.
    Ah I see, maybe so. Are there PAL & NTSC versions of those screen also?

I do have the standard PS2 conenction, does that fit the PS1? If so I'll trawl up & dig it out tommorow & try it out :)

It does indeed...but it would need to be a ps2 RGB scart rather than the pretend AV scart one that came with it.

Your tv probably does do NTSC through the scart sockets...but RF is very old tech. I'm not too up on that to be honest...I think your RF jack is either PAL or NTSC. I've never come across a PAL tv that supported NTSC consoles through the RF jack.

It does indeed...but it would need to be a ps2 RGB scart rather than the pretend AV scart one that came with it.

Ah cool. Because my collection lives in storage, I havn't yet got around to RGB'ising every thing yet :(

It's just that standard 3 phono on a socketed scart head I think, so no use? i just wanna know if it's a setting that needs to be patched in the images, or just rf on my tv being fussy :p

Master of the Universe

That cable won't detect RGB (as it's not an RGB cable) so will only output the signal in NTSC 60hz.

As your tv is a modern plasma, it more than likely supports NTSC 60hz through the scart sockets..so theoretically (!) you should get colour, non rolling picture with that cable.

That cable won't detect RGB (as it's not an RGB cable) so will only output the signal in NTSC 60hz.

As your tv is a modern plasma, it more than likely supports NTSC 60hz through the scart sockets..so theoretically (!) you should get colour, non rolling picture with that cable.

I'll give it a bash in the morning so, if it works then it's onto who ever is next in the ps1 queue :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry was working the polls only back now. Best way to check if it;s a TV problem is to use the RF cable on a PS2 and boot up a game that has a 60Hz option and see if it's the same. Probably not an issue though since I won't be playing in anything less than RGB.

Looks like I lucked out with atavan halens freebie PS1. Just hope his one works or I'll feel bad :/

Well you lucked out Retr0, Andrew brought up his RGB today & your PS1 is booting everything I throw at it in full colour, no boot discs needed. The older model PS1's has less security, hence not needing the boot disc.

Again to reitterate, with a PSone (which is different to the PS1) and an mm3 chip you can just patch the images also as I outlines previously, or use the bootdisc which is free too.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just connected the PSone up to a tv..didn't realize that LCD screen had an AV out port on it too.

The game has two black boarders..so I am assuming the patch method does indeed convert the games to PAL 50hz. I've never played Einhander in 60hz so can't coment on the speed.

Probably best to stick with the boot disc for PSone models methinks!

Just connected the PSone up to a tv..didn't realize that LCD screen had an AV out port on it too.

The game has two black boarders..so I am assuming the patch method does indeed convert the games to PAL 50hz. I've never played Einhander in 60hz so can't coment on the speed.

Probably best to stick with the boot disc for PSone models methinks!

Have you got a lead to go direct from your PS1 to the tv? Just to rule out the PAL lcd screen shaping the signal in any way...

I think the PSone is just picky, & these mm3 chips prob arn't the best choice really for PSone's. The ONEchip does direct boot on the One but like everything, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Any looking to collect chips etc get in touch

Master of the Universe

Have you got a lead to go direct from your PS1 to the tv? Just to rule out the PAL lcd screen shaping the signal in any way...

I think the PSone is just picky, & these mm3 chips prob arn't the best choice really for PSone's. The ONEchip does direct boot on the One but like everything, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Any looking to collect chips etc get in touch

I used the boot disc to put the signal to NTSC. It appeared fine on the tv but the LCD screen rolls. So the LCD av output isn't being effected by the LCDs 50hz limitations thankfully.

Ultimately this'll be going in the candy cab so the LCD probably won't see much use in the long run.

Anyway, I burned off a few games (all of which I own :pac:) and they all run perfect. Well chuffed, cheers man :)

I used the boot disc to put the signal to NTSC. It appeared fine on the tv but the LCD screen rolls. So the LCD av output isn't being effected by the LCDs 50hz limitations thankfully.

Ultimately this'll be going in the candy cab so the LCD probably won't see much use in the long run.

Anyway, I burned off a few games (all of which I own :pac:) and they all run perfect. Well chuffed, cheers man :)

Forgive my confusion :o but does that just mean the Sony LCD screen can't take NTSC? Good news that it's all cool on your tv.

Are they all PAL games you done?

Master of the Universe

It's something similar to the new Nomad LCDs you installed..they only seem to support one signal frequency.

As for games - I tried a PAL Rapid Reload, which booted fine on its own without any need for boot discs or anything. (Similar to that PAL Einhander)

Then an NTSC Tomba and an NTSC Thrill Kill - both of which just froze on the Playstation startup logo..but with a boot disc they worked grand. Full screen and full speed.

So that's how I intend to go on with it anyway. The boot disc isn't any hassle at all..it's not like I'm doing a swap trick or anything. Just put the boot disc in, select PAL or NTSC and then put the game in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If its ok, Kerbdog will hopefully be dropping in to you tomorrow a PSone, for modding, a PS1 (my market find) also for modding, a PSone, broken, for parts for you, and my Asian MD for 60hz switching or whatever it is you do to make it play Thunderforce IV again!
    Is that ok?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If its ok, Kerbdog will hopefully be dropping in to you tomorrow a PSone, for modding, a PS1 (my market find) also for modding, a PSone, broken, for parts for you, and my Asian MD for 60hz switching or whatever it is you do to make it play Thunderforce IV again!
    Is that ok?

If he ordered two chips then yep I've no issues with that, otherwise someone's down a chip. Maybe someone doesn't want one he can use as nobody seems to have bothered asking about them.

Retr0's PS1 on modding day. Amongst the loose screws I found in it, there was melted candle wax, a reciept from RAGE for Goldeneye64, Legend of Dragoon, & Fifa 11.

2cqip2v.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Did you find the other receipt of his for the RF and composite cables for his consoles?
    Apparently its just how he rolls, whatever that means!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did you find the other receipt of his for the RF and composite cables for his consoles?
    Apparently its just how he rolls, whatever that means!

I did actually, maybe he's talking about picture roll? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I did actually, maybe he's talking about Jumbo Breakfast roll? :P

FYP

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    FYP

Retr0? Eat a manly thing like that? Unlikely man :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd eat one but no ketchup for me, can't stand the stuff.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd eat one but no ketchup for me, can't stand the stuff.

Ketchup is the most evil substance known to man. I have irrational fears of it. And sponges :(

Ketchup is the most evil substance known to man. I have irrational fears of it. And sponges :(

So a sponge soaked in Ketchup would be a horrific thought to you? :D

Master of the Universe

You don't like ketchup? But how do you eat burgers? :confused:

Enternow - I did a bit of testing with that patch-it tool. Interesting results.

It seems that Patch-it ONLY changes the boot region screen on the game. So if you patch an NTSC game to PAL with it, the boot screen for the game will be changed to 'Sony Entertainment Europe' - but the game itself stays in NTSC and at 60hz, full screen and full speed.

This works with some games, others it doesn't. Thunderforce V and R-Type Delta - perfect. Both now work without the need of a boot disc and are in 60hz.

Soukyugurentai starts up perfect, goes to the menu..but nothing happens when the level is meant to load. Interestingly enough, the music keeps going. It'll work fine when left unpatched with a boot disc.

Two out of three isn't bad. Fingers crossed it keeps up with that ratio!

You don't like ketchup? But how do you eat burgers? :confused:

Without ketchup but if you have hamburger relish then yes please! I used to be a really fussy eater until recently and it's ketchups fault. I can't stand the stuff and it's too sweet and I thought all tomato based sauces tasted like ketchup. Then I discovered that proper tomato sauce is one of the most delicious things ever.

**** you ketchup for keeping me away from pizza for so long!!!
    Soukyugurentai starts up perfect, goes to the menu..but nothing happens when the level is meant to load. Interestingly enough, the music keeps going. It'll work fine when left unpatched with a boot disc.

I know you're problem here. Soukyugurentai is screaming out to be played on a Saturn not a PS1 and is refusing to boot. Strange it didn't happen with Thunderforce V.... maybe because it isn't that good on either platform.

Master of the Universe

Without ketchup but if you have hamburger relish then yes please! I used to be a really fussy eater until recently and it's ketchups fault. I can't stand the stuff and it's too sweet and I thought all tomato based sauces tasted like ketchup. Then I discovered that proper tomato sauce is one of the most delicious things ever.

**** you ketchup for keeping me away from pizza for so long!!!

Do you wear a blouse with that relish? ya big girl. Real men eat ketchup..you know why? Because it's red and looks like blood. You can pretend the food is still alive.

I know you're problem here. Soukyugurentai is screaming out to be played on a Saturn not a PS1 and is refusing to boot. Strange it didn't happen with Thunderforce V.... maybe because it isn't that good on either platform.

Thunderfoce V is a pretty ugly game. Haven't played it long enough to form any opinions yet though.

I knew you'd say that about Souky, so in preparation I gave it a long play through. And you know what? You're wrong :p

Visually the sprites and backgrounds aren't anywhere near as nice as the Saturn version (to be expected)..they're the same but it's like someone put a low res filter on them. It's downright ugly in parts. If it were just a beauty contest then you're right.

However, gameplay wise, it's feels almost identical. There are a couple of spots with slowdown that I don't think are there on the Saturn version, but other than that it's the same. It's an absolutely stunning game on the Saturn and that is the preferred way of playing it, but the ps1 port is by no means a bad game. It's just being held back by ps1 harware limitations.

Do you wear a blouse with that relish? ya big girl. Real men eat ketchup...

Well, tbh I think now's as good a time as any to remind you who your argiuing with here...

11cfd3m.jpg

I think it's abuntantly clear now :D:D (Sorry Retr0, but the oppurtunity was just too good, it may never have come again :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well, tbh I think now's as good a time as any to remind you who your argiuing with here...

11cfd3m.jpg

I think it's abuntantly clear now :D:D (Sorry Retr0, but the oppurtunity was just too good, it may never have come again :P)

Just quotin' cos it's fun!!!! OHHHH YEAHH!!:pac:

I knew you'd say that about Souky, so in preparation I gave it a long play through. And you know what? You're wrong :p

Ah I was being pedantic. The PS1 version is a great port but the Saturn version is arcade perfect.

Thunderforve V actually has new levels on the PS1 version but it's really really ugly in comparison, much more so than the saturn version. Still playable though.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

God damn it, I thought I had this solved..apparantly not.

When I was booting games up, the colours were off, purple and greens. I wiggled the cable and it solved this. So I thought the LCD AV port must be dodgy.

Continued burning games. Happy days.

Just decided to remove the LCD to stop the colour problem - it didnt. To make matters worse, the 'fixed' colour when I wiggled the cable wasn't fixed, it just wasn't as off as when it originally booted...creating the illusion it was fixed.

But on closer inspection and after playing more games the colour is still way off.

Seems to me that the a PAL PSone doesn't display colours in 60hz properly.

God damn it, I thought I had this solved..apparantly not.

When I was booting games up, the colours were off, purple and greens. I wiggled the cable and it solved this. So I thought the LCD AV port must be dodgy.

Continued burning games. Happy days.

Just decided to remove the LCD to stop the colour problem - it didnt. To make matters worse, the 'fixed' colour when I wiggled the cable wasn't fixed, it just wasn't as off as when it originally booted...creating the illusion it was fixed.

But on closer inspection and after playing more games the colour is still way off.

I do remember seeing something about a 'Colour fix' whatever that meant? Also, could it be a dodgey cable at all?

PS1 consoles definitely display 60Hz properly. However not so sure about PSone consoles, might be different for them.

Master of the Universe

I was thinking dodgy cable alright, boot it boots PAL fine. So I tried it through the PS1 jamma adapter which has it's own cable - same deal.

I also read about the colour fix, but I think what people are on about is 60hz displaying in black and white on a PAL tv.

I was thinking dodgy cable alright, boot it boots PAL fine. So I tried it through the PS1 jamma adapter which has it's own cable - same deal.

I also read about the colour fix, but I think what people are on about is 60hz displaying in black and white on a PAL tv.

Hmm, strange so. Is this with the boot disc o1s1n? I think the boot disc menu has something about a colour correction fix, hang on I'll throw up a link.

Edit - damn, not sure which one I used. It has a light blue menu screen, try some of these while I search for it - http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_utils_bootcd.shtml

Edit 2 - It might be the 2nd last one on the list.

Master of the Universe

I'm using one of those boot discs and can't remember which either :D

It also has a light blue screen.

Just noticed there's a specific one for the PSone. I'll give that a go now and see if it helps.

Master of the Universe

Okay, just deleted my previous post as I thought I had solved it but I hadn't. :(

It comes down to this - NTSC games boot in the wrong colour.

If I take the scart cable out the back of the ps1 and insert it again while the game is running, the colours fix.

So what I think is happening is the boot disc starts in PAL...the game then changes to NTSC...but NTSC isn't being detected properly by RGB and changing over. It then must be detected when I reinsert the cable.

Weird!

Okay, figured it out finally. Part of the problem is that I'd spent so long analysing games booted in NTSC with the wrong colour - that when a game was finally in the correct colours I literally couldn't tell if it was correct or not.

I had to boot GDarius, Thunderforce V and R Type Delta up in an emulator just to confirm the feckin colours!

Anyway, here's what was wrong -

On the boot disc there's an option for NTSC or PAL. This is NOT to select the region of the disc...or the desired output frequency. What I gather is it's to select the region of the console itself.

As a result I'd been selecting NTSC and it was giving me skewed colours. What confused me even more is that if I plugged the AV cable out of the console and back in again - the colours were corrected. (leading me to believe the problem was with the connection)

To confuse matters even MORE, the patch method I was trying above was buggering up the colours in the same way. So what I gather is that's somehing similar to NTSC being selected on the boot disc.

Summed up in one simple line -

If you select PAL on the boot disc then it'll start up in the correct colours.

Why oh WHY I couldn't have just done that rather then run around in circles over complicating this to the max, I just don't know! :eek:

Ok, here's the challenge. Sum up for everyone what's involved in making the PSone (PAL) boot NTSC games in full screen, fulle colour @ 60Hz...because I'm baffled :D

Master of the Universe

Ok, here's the challenge. Sum up for everyone what's involved in making the PSone (PAL) boot NTSC games in full screen, fulle colour @ 60Hz...because I'm baffled :D

Hah. I deleted that post because I made an error - when you select PAL in the boot disc menu it does indeeed boot the game in PAL too. The reason I didn't notice the black boarders and thought it was in 60hz is because I was playing Raiden DX which is vertically orientated.

So yeah, as in my reviewed post above (!) I think it's something to do with the NTSC colours not being detected by RGB..as reinserting the AV cable fixes the colours.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Argh! There's an afternoon wasted! It was my piece of **** CRT!

I did the oul last ditch, 'I'll try it in another tv' approach and the ****er worked perfectly first time in 60hz.

So in summary, to save anyone this **** sandwich headache -

Patch your NTSC ps1 images to PAL with Patch-it

Dont try it on a piece of **** Black Diamond CRT.

Enjoy them full screen, full speed at 60hz without the need of a boot disc.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to blow the **** out of stuff.

Advertisement