Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

damaged a new camera

• 25-12-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I got a new Cannon IXUS 130 from Santa. I charged it up and when I turned it on I dropped it.The zoom will not work and shuts the camera down, is it possible to repair.

Thanks in advance.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Your first place to go is where it was bought. They can arrange a warranty repair (if appropriate) or can advise on any cost of repair.

Failing that, contact Canon Ireland, through their website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You may be lucky and they will replace it under warranty. These point & shoots are often not worth repair unless it's something very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Your best bet is dishonesty. You took it out of the box and it didn't work....end of story. Xmas present that didn't work. Saves you explainging what happened, voiding warranties. Camera simply didn't work. Not fit for purpose intended, sales of service act 1985 (I think?) and just get a new one. Less hassle. Don't drop the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

mcko wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a new Cannon IXUS 130 from Santa. I charged it up and when I turned it on the zoom will not work and shuts the camera down, is it possible to repair.

FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

pete4130 wrote: »
    Your best bet is dishonesty. You took it out of the box and it didn't work....end of story. Xmas present that didn't work. Saves you explainging what happened, voiding warranties. Camera simply didn't work. Not fit for purpose intended, sales of service act 1985 (I think?) and just get a new one. Less hassle. Don't drop the new one.
    This is disgraceful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

This is disgraceful

busteddddddddd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

agreed,as somebody who sells cameras daily (maybe I even sold this one) can I just say this attitude is ruining genuine DOA cases for everyone
    is it any wonder that retailers goodwill is evaporating these days? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is disgraceful
    nonsense. the camera was too slippy, the retailer has to deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Are Currys rep's always watching? or this pure coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

This is disgraceful

TBH, I'm hardly busteeeed as some people say seeing as I've posted my feeling online for everyone to see?????, so get off the high horses. Chances are most people would go to the shop and say it didn't work...just because its written on a forum by me doesn't make sh1te difference.

Cameras like this arent worth repairing. They are disposable items. True or not? Do they have longjevity like the €14k purchases I've made? I don't think so.

You work in selling cameras/digital sh1te in Curry's or wherever....so what. you sell sh!te to people on a daily basis, you realy think that I think you are concerned about selling people decent camera's to take decent pictures.....b0ll0x!!!!.....my advice is get a better job perhaps??????

It's an intenet forum....not a legal advice centre so take it or leave it....its your choice.

Personally I've never done this. The only point and shoots I own are 10+ years old and aren't digital.

So up yours to "Curry: Declan" for not checking stuff works before it leaves the store (but thats hard being such a big store that sells so much stuff on a daily basis to an unwise consumer base). You probably don't have an idea of how or what a camera does in real terms, people on here do care about image quality.

I only own point and shoots from 1965, the early 1990's so I'm not a digital fiend.

You guys sell insurance against this sort of thing day in, day out knowng that there will be some non truthful claims......that you don't even see.

Again, as far as the OP knows, they got a camera, went to use it and it didn't work....it might not have worked before they even dropped it.......who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Dropped a camera and same thing happened. Zoom got stuck in position. Went to few camera shops and was told its not worth fixing. Buy a new one. But suppose you could give it a try returning it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Please cool things down a bit. No problems having the discussion but can we please keep things civil.

Declan: I think that Pete wasn't encouraging the behaviour, only pointing out that it's what a lot of people do in these circumstances. I am sure you know this goes on. Maybe you could explain things from the retailers POV.

Pete: Maybe a bit less volatility in future replies. We don't want this to escalate into a slanging match with the inevitable outcome.

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If it was dropped, in all likelihood there is impact damage. Having worked in retail that would be the first thing I'd have looked for and if there was any sign of impact you would be given the option of having canon inspect it first and let them call it or you would be walking straight back out the door with the camera.

If you want to follow the dishonest advice here, go ahead, but I hope an unsuspecting staff member doesn't take it back under warranty as even if they don't spot it, you can bet canon will and the shop (and in many cases, the employee themself) takes the hit as canon won't want to know. You can dress it up how you like - it was too slippy, it was clearly faulty before it was dropped, retailers sell so much crap they deserve it etc - you are committing fraud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kensington wrote: »
    if there was any sign of impact you would be given the option of having canon inspect it first and let them call it or you would be walking straight back out the door with the camera.
    you're placing yourself on very tricky ground there if you follow that policy, as you have no way of proving if the damage was there before the box was opened or not.

the best weapon of the consumer is the staff member who does not know the consumer's rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I didn't know retailers had to bear the cost of warranty repairs, I thought the manufacturers did.

From the OP's description of events, there seems to be no certainty the camera was functional before it was dropped. Of course it probably was damaged by being dropped, but there remains a slight possibility it wasn't working before the drop.

Perhaps manufacturers should be obliged to put warnings on the packaging such as 'not economical to repair if dropped' then consumers might think twice before buying and might chooses to buy something more durable like a Pentax W90.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Perhaps manufacturers should be obliged to put warnings on the packaging such as 'not economical to repair if dropped' then consumers might think twice before buying
    actually, this is a good idea. maybe just put a 'minimum cost of repair' sticker on the box.

you're placing yourself on very tricky ground there if you follow that policy, as you have no way of proving if the damage was there before the box was opened or not.

the best weapon of the consumer is the staff member who does not know the consumer's rights.
    Which is why I would let canon make the call. If the damage was genuine, it will be covered under warranty. If not, you will be quoted for a repair for accidental damage. It's quite easy to tell if the damage was caused in the factory and hence arrived to the customer like that or if it was dropped after being opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I hope you got the lump of COAL that you obviously deserve for Christmas. Honesty is the only policy.

i think one of the problems the large retailers have is (assuming my experiences weren't just freak occurrences) that on several occasions staff in various stores - (including currys, fwiw) - told me what i know to be lies to try to get me to buy a product, and i've also stepped in on at least one occasion to tell another customer they're being lied to.

and that's why people think it's fair to play them at a similar game. i bet you people don't pull that sort of thing in gunns, for example, nearly as much because there is a much greater level of trust there.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Thanks for all the replies, I dropped the camera, so no one's fault only mine, still I have dropped my mobile several time and no damage.
    Merry Christmas and thanks for all your replies.

• Advertisement

how far and onto what sort of surface did it drop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes and a camera could be dropped, a mark left on it but works fine, then fails 6 months later, is the mark then blamed as the cause? So the camera has to be gleaming like new or the warranty is void?

This is disgraceful

What about the misleading info the retailers staff tell people to get them to buy stuff, telling them what they want to hear. Thats as bad.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    What about the misleading info the retailers staff tell people to get them to buy stuff, telling them what they want to hear. Thats as bad.
    Couldn't agree more. Dishonesty can never be condoned. Best way to ruin your business. There are internal procedures to deal with anyone who would dishonestly engage with a customer. Not people that we want to employ, or that I would employ.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes and a camera could be dropped, a mark left on it but works fine, then fails 6 months later, is the mark then blamed as the cause? So the camera has to be gleaming like new or the warranty is void?
    If the mark on the unit is a result of impact damage, which is related to the fault, or is the cause of the fault occurring, then yes, that would not be covered by warranty.

Obviously, if there's a chip or just wear and tear marks on the unit that is in no way related to a fault which occurs down the line, the fault would of course be covered under warranty.

Going back to the OP's case, it seems pretty clear that the camera was dropped and the impact of the fall has resulted in damage to the camera which has caused it to fail. Very unfortunate to happen - I've done it myself and the sickening feeling is awful - but it was entirely my own fault.

As for the retailers, I never knowingly told anyone false or inaccurate information. I most certainly never intentionally lied to anyone. Any staff member who does lie should be reported as they shouldn't be in the job frankly.

Well it is amazing how honest everyone is on boards at times, never lie, never do anything wrong. Without sin.

Couldn't agree more. Dishonesty can never be condoned. Best way to ruin your business. There are internal procedures to deal with anyone who would dishonestly engage with a customer. Not people that we want to employ, or that I would employ.
    if you saw a staff member giving a customer the hard sell on a high quality HDMI cable over a bog standard one, would you consider that dishonest?

also, do currys employ a commission system?

if you saw a staff member giving a customer the hard sell on a high quality HDMI cable over a bog standard one, would you consider that dishonest?

also, do currys employ a commission system?
    The mantra in our business is that we are interested in working out what's right for the customers and their needs. And yes, I would be upset if someone is given the hard sell on an attachment that is not right for them. If it was patently unsuitable I would consider that dishonest and act appropriately on any complaint.

We don't pay commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

We don't pay commission.

yeah but I know for a fact that you also dont keep staff employed if they don't sell enough extended warranties and sell enough essentials.

The whole business model is dishonest

• Advertisement

swingking wrote: »
    yeah but I know for a fact that you also dont keep staff employed if they don't sell enough extended warranties and sell enough essentials.

The whole business model is dishonest
    I think our labour turnover is very low for retail. We also conduct an engagement survey with our colleagues every 4 weeks and the results tell me that we have a pretty happy crew serving our customers.

The mantra in our business is that we are interested in working out what's right for the customers and their needs.
    i keep hearing good intentions. but i also hear about the hard sell from others. the simple fact is, people are wary - and with proven good reason - of the intentions of the staff in the large multiples.

I think our labour turnover is very low for retail. We also conduct an engagement survey with our colleagues every 4 weeks and the results tell me that we have a pretty happy crew serving our customers.
    you avoided the accusation there.

you avoided the accusation there.
    Never in my experience, and I've been running this company for 5 years, have we dismissed someone for not selling enough warranties. It's a old myth from the sands of time about our business. Fact is, if you try to force someone to sell something against their will, they'll make a complete hames of it and your business will look pretty stupid to a customer who'll visit you once and then never again. So, no, we don't dismiss people for not being good at the hard sell, the hard sell is the last thing I want

i was given the hard sell on an extended warranty once which was so pushy it was actually amusing. it was either curry's or dixon's - in the building opposite the dunnes stores entrance of the blanch centre a few years back, anyway. i think at the time, there was a PC world at one end and a curry's or dixon's at the other. €15 for an extended warranty on an electric shaver. i got him down to €3. if it's still worth selling at €3, i can only imagine what the profit margin at €15 is.

Kensington wrote: »
    Having worked in retail that would be the first thing I'd have looked for and if there was any sign of impact you would be given the option of having canon inspect it first and let them call it or you would be walking straight back out the door with the camera.
    i've come across one chain (not yet mentioned in the above discussion, mind) where they will *not* accept customer assessment of damage or lack of function of a new applicance and insist on sending an engineer out to your home (which means you've to take a day off work to be told the obvious) rather than accepting that yeah, a freezer which gets warm rather than colder when you switch it on is probably not in tip-top working order.

i know that's not camera related, but similar stories would help explain the reaction of a lot of people about representatives of the large chains getting righteous about people trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

in the above case, is a temporary replacement offered while canon assess the damage? who pays canon's fee for assessment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I'll pop this back on topic, I've fixed a couple of these and the older models with the same problem. Most likely what has happened is the small circuit board that has the zoom and on/off button has moved a little in the casing. Its an easy fix, if you bring it to the shop and the warranty wont cover it, just pop it open and you'll notice that the circuit has slipped, just move it back down and and close it up and it should be back to normal.

Off topic bit. No point in making up a story, the fall will be obvious, I've been a retailer for years and we don't have to absorb the costs of repairs, if its in warranty the manufacturer does. For small repairs we do them in house sometimes but if we do we also void the warranty so we try to avoid it.

Best of luck

To be honest, if it were me, whether i'd lie or be honest would actually depend on the store.

For example, I despise my local Harveys, and they've blatantly lied to me in the past, so I wouldn't mind telling them lies. But I've found my local Argos to have great staff and as such, I would probably just take the honest route.

Don't have a Currys/Dixons in the town anymore, but the place was grand. Staff were friendly but some of the prices on some of the items seemed a little mad (though other items were reasonable - depends what you're looking for, I suppose).

If you're gonna go down the not-so-honest route, make sure you observe the camera's damage. If it has a big mark(s) where it hit the ground/table/whatever, then it'll be far too obvious that it fell and you'd only be setting yourself up for additional hassle by trying to stick to your story.

So if you're lying about it, at least make sure it looks like it could've came to you already-damaged.

If it was bought in Argos, and the additional insurance was purchased, then you can return it anyway. I'm fairly sure they'll replace stuff, even if its your own fault (though double check first, obviously).

in the above case, is a temporary replacement offered while canon assess the damage? who pays canon's fee for assessment?
    No. If you brought back a camera to the shop and there are signs of impact damage, it is sent to canon and you will be without the camera until it is returned by them. Canon would assess the camera as a warranty repair initially, so no charge, but if they believed upon assessing the camera that it was as a result of being dropped they would then seek payment for repair or would return the camera as it was left in to them. It doesn't take much work to confirm a camera has been dropped.

Obviously, if you brought a camera back in a couple of days after purchase (or within reason, if it was a christmas present) which wasn't working correctly and there wasn't a mark on it or any sign that the damage was due to mishandling, it would be replaced for you straightaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This is disgraceful

:rolleyes: never did it yourself :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Never in my experience, and I've been running this company for 5 years, have we dismissed someone for not selling enough warranties. It's a old myth from the sands of time about our business. Fact is, if you try to force someone to sell something against their will, they'll make a complete hames of it and your business will look pretty stupid to a customer who'll visit you once and then never again. So, no, we don't dismiss people for not being good at the hard sell, the hard sell is the last thing I want
    I worked in both Curry's and PC world in days gone by and I personally witnessed people getting sacked for not selling enough of the extended warranty... something that I felt extremely guilty at pushing on parents, in buying expensive PC's for xmas present and were obviously stretched financially already. These people are very easy to strike fear in to - buying something they have no clue about and listening to "experts" tell them all about the various things that can and will go wrong and given the amount of money they are spending they are talked into buying something they don't need... for hundreds of euro.

I eventually gave up pretending that it was necessary and explained the truth to all my customers, who appreciated it. Some of them even went on to buy the extended warranty... and no doubt their year old PC's met with an unfortunate accident.

If you're Curry's store is not pushing these warranty sales on the staff then I applaud you sir. I agree that honesty is the only method of retail that will maintain repeat customers and customers must return that honesty. Do you think every retailer is honest? Not a chance.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote: »
    I worked in both Curry's and PC world in days gone by and I personally witnessed people getting sacked for not selling enough of the extended warranty... something that I felt extremely guilty at pushing on parents, in buying expensive PC's for xmas present and were obviously stretched financially already. These people are very easy to strike fear in to - buying something they have no clue about and listening to "experts" tell them all about the various things that can and will go wrong and given the amount of money they are spending they are talked into buying something they don't need... for hundreds of euro.

I eventually gave up pretending that it was necessary and explained the truth to all my customers, who appreciated it. Some of them even went on to buy the extended warranty... and no doubt their year old PC's met with an unfortunate accident.

If you're Curry's store is not pushing these warranty sales on the staff then I applaud you sir. I agree that honesty is the only method of retail that will maintain repeat customers and customers must return that honesty. Do you think every retailer is honest? Not a chance.

Yes i think your 100% right, them extended warranty`s are a bit of a scam in that customers are led to believe they are needed. Anyone that has an idea about pc`s for example would not get the extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi
    I got a new Cannon IXUS 130 from Santa. I charged it up and when I turned it on I dropped it.The zoom will not work and shuts the camera down, is it possible to repair.

This was the OPs question, nobody has answered it
    Are the moderators on holidays ?
    Threads have been locked for less than what has gone on here.

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Is it possible to repair was the question, it has been answered early on, its a yes it can or no it cant answer

Why dont you answer it there?

i was given the hard sell on an extended warranty once which was so pushy it was actually amusing. it was either curry's or dixon's - in the building opposite the dunnes stores entrance of the blanch centre a few years back, anyway. i think at the time, there was a PC world at one end and a curry's or dixon's at the other. €15 for an extended warranty on an electric shaver. i got him down to €3. if it's still worth selling at €3, i can only imagine what the profit margin at €15 is.
    Which proves the point made above. You were given the hard sell and haven't come next nor near us since, and wouldn't hesitiate to tell anyone to come next nor near us. That we developed a reputation for the hard sell is our own fault and we're making a lot of effort to put it behind us.

Take your point. I won't contribute again. More than happy to deal with any discussion on electrical retailers in the Currys/ PC World forum

no-one was preventing anyone from discussing repair of the camera; what were the mods to do, demand that an answer be coming forthwith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Hi

This is an alternative and risky repair, and one you might not want to try until all other options have been exhausted.

Some Canon Ixus models had a known zoom problem, where the zoom would remain very slightly extended and the camera would not operate.

I've repaired one or two as follows, but this is at your own risk and to be considered only as a last resort. If the zoom on your camera is slightly extended, then the solution may (may!) be similar.

(1) Place the camera zoom down on a flat surface (I place a small cloth or tea towel on the surface to give a bit of cushion.

(2) Give the back of the camera a swift and firm but gentle thump with your hand (mind the LCD screen on the back though!). You might want to put a softback book over the top of the camera to give the screen some protection. I always do.

(3) This might pop the lens and gears back into place and sort the issue. Switch the camera on and off and you may be good to go. Or you may be far worse off!

Finally, there is no guarantee at all with this crazy 'fix'. But it has worked for me on one or two occasions in the past (to my surprise). But only try it at your own risk, and only if the zoom is very slightly extended and you have no other option. For cameras that have got wet or have sand or something in them it's useless, but if it is a zoom catching issue it might just work.

<<Gentle Thump>>
    <<<<<Book>>>>>
    <<<<Camera>>>>
    <<<<Lens>>>>
    <<<<<Cloth>>>>>>
    <<<<<TABLE>>>>>

This thread has gone all over the place. While some of the ethical points examined have been interesting, the OP now has more than enough options to consider.

..... and yes...... I am on holidays on the other side of the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement