Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much is the samsung tablet from meteor?

• 25-12-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

samsung galaxy tablet from meteor ?

do i have to have a plan for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dont do them according to the meteor store in swords.

€650 from O2 prepay

Vodafone do one for €600 prepay

They also do one for about 350 or something with a 18 month contract.

They are a mega rip for what you get, hand some hands on with one in store with every intention to buy one for xmas, but decided against, in fairness you can get alot better things for €600

Plus Android isnt even fleshed out for tablets yet, google hasnt released the app sdk kit.

So every app is just your android phone ****, blown up

I'm not even considering buying a tablet until Google announce they are releasing the dev kits and supporting tablets, at that points some good ones will come onto the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Samsung Galaxy is a joke. Get archos 10" tablet instead for e350. Galaxy is tiny in comparison.

Poster above is wrong btw, google released support for large screens in 2.3. I have the archos tablet and it works very well. I bought it as prototype for development work, but it's good enough for anyone to use. There were some teething problems that have since been resolved with firmware updates, and be careful you don't get a prerelease one (says internet table on it, rather than tablet). I had to return mine for replacement for this reason.

May as well edit some more: the guy above is right about the apps being "scaled up". But most android apps support 800x480, the tablet is 1024x600 so it still looks good. This isn't like the ****ty apple scaling. Angry Birds looks beautiful on a 10" screen, have tried many apps without problems. One app that wouldn't work for me was Grooveshark, and another was Ustream broadcaster. Annoying, because this thing has camera on the front, but I have yet to find an app that lets me use it! (not tried fring properly yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Three do it for 300 on an 18 month contract.
    Big advantages for SGT over the Archos for me are the resolution and the built in 3G.
    10 inch Archos looked pixely IMHO

Galaxy = 1024x600
    Archos 10 = 1024 x 600.

Archos 10 does not look pixelly at all, I bet you were playing a low res movie on it :lol: In any case, same resolution. Watching hires movies (scaled down to 600p ofc) on the archos is a joy.

What is the point of having 3g on a tablet? You already have this on your phone. I just tether my desire to the tablet. I don't see how paying for two 3g contracts is a positive point??

edit: some more info
    Archos has an adjustable kickstand, which is AWESOME.
    Galaxy has more RAM, a controversial topic with android (not a big deal since 2.2 imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Fair enough on the 1024 (my mistake) but if you compare the two screens the SGT is a lot sharper. Granted this may not be an issue for a lot of people.

On the 3G it allows you the choice not to run a smartphone as well as the tablet.. That way you can have a phone whose battery life is days instead of hours :)

• Advertisement

I would be very surprised if someone considering a tablet didn't already have a smartphone! Hilariously ipad owners have been buying android phones to use for tethering, since iphone makes you pay through the nose for it :)

The reason galaxy tab has a simcard is thus: google only allow market to be bundled with phones. Archos is not a phone, thus is does not come with android market for legal reasons. However a mystery poaster shows up on archos forums and gives everyone a "gApps4Archos.apk" file. Just download that, open with file explorer, now you have market etc.

When you are using a tablet, there is pretty much always wifi around, I hardly ever find myself using tether. Trust me a 3g contract is not needed for a tablet. In conclusion: do not buy a Samsung Galaxy tablet, the Archos one is better and half the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I consider the galaxy tab more as a large smartphone than a tablet, i've moved from a desire to the tab via a dell streak, and use it for everything including calls (with bluetooth), i carry it everywhere as you would any other phone and love the large screen for movies satnav web and angry birds is fantastic on it, €199 now from three on 18 month contract, oh and my dell is on adverts.ie if you're interested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TheDoc wrote: »
    So every app is just your android phone ****, blown up

I'm not even considering buying a tablet until Google announce they are releasing the dev kits and supporting tablets, at that points some good ones will come onto the market

I would disagree totally. I have the Tab for a few weeks now and I am damn impressed by it (and this coming from an Apple fanboy :) ). Most apps look pretty good and do take advantage of the screen real estate. They do not look stretched and blown up (the Today FM app is particularly noteworthy).

It is, however, and oversized smartphone. Making phone calls is nothing short of a pain, but I find a lot of my friends/co-workers love the size of it - not too big, but big enough to do important things like e-mail, web surfing and games.

And I am told it fits perfectly into a handbag. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Android SUCKS
    I bought a Toshiba mini laptop with android and was very unimpressed.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would disagree totally. I have the Tab for a few weeks now and I am damn impressed by it (and this coming from an Apple fanboy :) ). Most apps look pretty good and do take advantage of the screen real estate. They do not look stretched and blown up (the Today FM app is particularly noteworthy).

It is, however, and oversized smartphone. Making phone calls is nothing short of a pain, but I find a lot of my friends/co-workers love the size of it - not too big, but big enough to do important things like e-mail, web surfing and games.

And I am told it fits perfectly into a handbag. :)

Was just expressing my opinion, that for a supposed "ipad killer" as it was dubbed by many mainstream tech and gadget sites, I wasn't in anyway shape or form impressed.

And from my understanding google have NOT fully backed up any tablet support or released any sdk's for tablet apps. That was as of first week or the samsung release, so unless something has changed over like the last two weeks or something, its still the same.

Google were supposed to launch their tablet in the last few weeks, and the project is very much on the back burner, and alot of google staff I know have picked up ipads or the galaxy, I'm reading ALOT into that, meaning that any meaningful tablet progress with android is not really due anytime soon.

The variants of tablets are pretty poor aswell, outside of Samsung, there is not a brand I'd trust with that sort of money ( and in fairness im not a fan of samsung either)

I might look into this Archos thing a bit more as the price is tempting, but then a 10" tablet for €250, I wont be expecting much : /

EDIT *

After doing a quick search for the Archos tablet specs and reviews, seeing some conflict.

The 10" tab is advertised on the archos site as being

archoschart.jpg

According to reviews the chart above from the Archos website is very very wrong

The 10" model is not a 1ghz processor but 600mhz
    Does not have an accelometer
    Is a resistive touchscreen
    No availability to marketplace without some little change
    And doesnt have the pin and zoom option
    It says hmdi port but its actually a composite cable ( wtf)
    And its android 1.5, not froyo ( reviews dont mention option to upgrade)

I'd be weary spending money on something like this, advertised as one thing but after review it seems to be totally different : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

you should stay away from whatever sight you read your reviews on those archos 10's then as I have one and they do have everything the official spec says it has. Apart from poor viewing angles which I got used to, I'm delighted with it. Being able to stream live tv from my linux pc was an added bonus.

its the older archos home tablet that are more like picture frames that you probably read about (and even those dont come in 10" as far as i know)

TheDoc everything in your post is pretty much wrong, please go re-do your research.

To address your points about the archos:

The 10" model is not a 1ghz processor but 600mhz
    Nope it's 1ghz.

Does not have an accelometer
    Does indeed have.

Is a resistive touchscreen
    Nope is capacitive.

No availability to marketplace without some little change
    This is correct, but the change is trivial.

And doesnt have the pin and zoom option
    Does have pinch and zoom.

It says hmdi port but its actually a composite cable ( wtf)
    No it's mini-hdmi. Just get a convertor and you can plug into any hdmi port.

And its android 1.5, not froyo ( reviews dont mention option to upgrade
    They came with 2.1 in november, but now come with 2.2. Archos offer good support.

I suspect your information was relating to an older Archos tablet, not the 101.

you should stay away from whatever sight you read your reviews on those archos 10's then as I have one and they do have everything the official spec says it has. Apart from poor viewing angles which I got used to, I'm delighted with it. Being able to stream live tv from my linux pc was an added bonus.

its the older archos home tablet that are more like picture frames that you probably read about (and even those dont come in 10" as far as i know)

Cheers for that, searching around im finding different specs and information from various sites

Engadget had the different specs for example.

I might pop into Peats ( i know they do them unless someone knows cheaper) and have a look at the 10" model and see what I think

Is it able to run Froyo and further releases?

I'm in the hunt for a tablet just havnt found one thats decent, the specs on the Archos site looks good, and I know their media players were alright, and if I remember correctly the 10" model was only like €250 or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

srsly78 wrote: »
    Hilariously ipad owners have been buying android phones to use for tethering, since iphone makes you pay through the nose for it :)

Not actually true that "iPhone" or "Apple" (the root of all evils:rolleyes:) make you pay for tethering. It is included in your allowance on 3, for example. Basically depends on how the carriers implement the carrier file. There is also an option to jailbreak iOS devices. Although Wi-Fi hotspots are built into Froyo (welcome to the party) some carriers have removed this feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

BengaLover wrote: »
    Android SUCKS
    I bought a Toshiba mini laptop with android and was very unimpressed.

Android was not designed for use without a touchscreen and Toshiba were foolish to put a smartphone OS on a smartbook. The AC100 is actually a super device for the price (extremely light and thin with a Tegra 2 chipset) but it hindered by the poor choice of OS. I wish Toshiba had released it with some flavour of desktop Linux instead.

Advertisement