Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere need volunteers for christmas?

Options
  • 25-12-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where can one volunteer for Christmas? i really want to do this next year rather than spend Christmas alone. Is there any soup kitchens or anything like that in galway city?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I know St V de P used to do social calls to older people around the Christmas period, in case they might get lonely, you should contact them for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are various social service type things around Galway, but they run things using their existing volunteers and staff, ie the folks who have been trained and garda-vetted wayyy earlier than Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I looked into doing volunteer work a couple of years ago and it was incredibly harder to get than I imagined. I thought you could pretty much walk into most of it (applicable background checks permitting) but a lot of it seems to demand long-term commitments from you, or it's pretty unrewarding stuff like shoving collection buckets in people's faces. Then you have the webdesign work which is basically a heap of people looking for you to do commercial work for nothing.

I applied to a few places and didn't even hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

(applicable background checks permitting)

And they're not trivial either: some employers won't even bother trying if you've been outside of Ireland for more than 2 years in the last 5.

A friend of mine tried to volunteer with another organisation, and was told that they didn't want her because she'd ever lived outside of Ireland. What was even funnier was that she did training and work experience in another bit of the industry and had no trouble getting garda vetting for that.

Advertisement