Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caffeine High Culture

Options
  • 25-12-2010 4:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Do you hangout in coffeehouses? I find myself frequenting (a couple unique) Starbucks, Tully's, Peet's Coffee & Tea, and a cool one location (non-corporate chain) called Alta Coffee & Tea in Newport Beach, where they have live music on weekends, a sandwich bar, and a meeting spot for the Balboa Peninsula beach crowd.

I don't care much for most Starbucks coffeehouses in general, but there are two that are quite different from the sterile corporate atmosphere, university crowd oriented, and are found on the University of California Irvine campus, and across the street from UCI in a strip mall.

I visited Austin Texas for a bit in the past, when doing a gig, and found the Spider House, Flight Path Cafe, Tin City on Guadalupe, and Jake's Java grand places to hang out and sip a brew. Except for Flight Path, all these coffeehouses were close to the University of Texas Austin campus; and for those unaware, there are parts of Austin that do not belong in Bush's Texas, especially Hyde Park of Austin (i.e., the ultra-conservative Bush's must lose sleep at night just thinking about the sorts that dwell in Austin).

I almost always bring my tiny netbook for free wifi access, sometimes do university homework online, but find that these javahouses mentioned grand places to meet with friends, as well as to meet someone new. Sure beats the meat-market atmosphere of bars, pubs and clubs (especially near closing time when all the desperate drunks start hitting on you for a one night stand).

The coffee culture did not seem to catch-on back when I was in Ireland, but perhaps there were exceptions? The States are great for this culture. Do you have a coffeehouse or cafe you tend to frequent? What's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There's a lovely place called Java Jones, just walking distance from home that is really nice. The entire front of the place opens out onto the sidewalk and they usually have live music once or twice a week. They're also attached to an art gallery so there's lots to do. I always get a good vibe when I go there, its nice. Apart from in Dublin or Cork, I've never seen a coffee place open in Ireland past 6. Mind you, after 6, the only thing I'm looking for is usually tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can never relax in coffee places. Probably something to do with the coffee :pac: but seriously I think it makes me slightly agoraphobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Up here in Seattle, home of american coffee, they're everywhere. Common to see three or four on one block. A starbucks at every intersection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Up here in Seattle, home of american coffee, they're everywhere. Common to see three or four on one block. A starbucks at every intersection.

I really miss this about Seattle. I didn't have a favorite coffee joint that I would sit down and relax at, but I did have a favorite coffee drive in spot that I'd stop by everyday to pick up a large drip coffee. I totally miss just common drip coffee and half/half.

Its hard not to get sucked in to the coffee culture; even if you're a hardened drip drinker you start getting snooty about different brands.

I had to explain the concept of "instant" coffee to my gf when she visited ireland with me last year. I dont even think you can buy instant coffee in america can you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I had to explain the concept of "instant" coffee to my gf when she visited ireland with me last year. I dont even think you can buy instant coffee in america can you?
    Instant is terrible, no matter where you buy it.

Instant is terrible, no matter where you buy it.

Well, not so true now. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are now producing their own instant coffees; they are usually in these small packets that you pour into one cup at a time. I actually prefer Starbucks instant to their regular drip.

Well, not so true now. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are now producing their own instant coffees; they are usually in these small packets that you pour into one cup at a time. I actually prefer Starbucks instant to their regular drip.

Wait...what? Starbucks makes instant???

The horror.

:eek:

Yep! And they are pretty good. At least the Medium blend is.

Since I left, I guess that they have introduced flavored coffee now:

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/via

Interesting. I'm not convinced but i'll give it a try and it would make a good present to bring home with me. I'll be at my sisters in galway at the end of the month and I usually need to bring a pound of ground with me and I get funny looks when I produce the plastic filter holder and filters etc.

• Advertisement

I have been thinking about having a friend send me a care package including coffee, seasoned salt, yellow mustard and dried cilantro. :D

I have been thinking about having a friend send me a care package including coffee, seasoned salt, yellow mustard and dried cilantro. :D

I wonder if they ship internationally?

http://www.amazon.com/grocery-breakfast-foods-snacks-organic/b/ref=sa_menu_gro7?ie=UTF8&node=16310101

Advertisement