Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Carrot juice

• 25-12-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

Hi all,

I've been trying to buy carrot juice in Ennis, and for the life of me I can't find any. Neither Aldi nor Lidl nor Tesco nor Dunnes have any. At least, I haven't found it if they do.

After checking with the health food store Open Sesame they told me they would get it back in stock. Sure enough, a week later I went back and they did.... from "Rabenhorst" for over 4 Euro a bottle! :eek:

No sir, I wasn't going to buy carrot juice made from pure gold!

At Aldi in Germany they sell half litre bottles of pure carrot juice with honey for 55 cents.

Does anybody have an idea where I could find something similar in Ennis? I would even be willing to pay twice as much (so up to 2 Euro per litre).

Thanks and Happy Christmas! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

make it yourself kiddo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Tesco sell their own brand and a Kelkin brand

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

exioot wrote: »
    Tesco sell their own brand and a Kelkin brand

Tesco in Ennis? I checked the juice shelves numerous times but never found it. Where is it hiding?
    make it yourself kiddo?

Kiddo does not possess a juicer. How to go about it so?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

I'm sure Meanwell health Foods have it
    in Kilrush.

They also have (or had) an Ennis branch as I recall.

Chris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

heathercat wrote: »
    Kiddo does not possess a juicer. How to go about it so?

:D

LIDL is selling a juicer at the moment, bought the same one a year ago and it has been giving sterling service ever since.
    Try carrots, apples, oranges and ginger juice. That'll put a bustle in your hedgerow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've bought it in Tesco in Ennis before, long time ago, it wasn't in the juice fridge but on the normal shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

is is definately in tesco.
    I would suggest a juicer, i get nice bag of carrots for a euro in my local centra and it does a great job.

I suggest buying a juicer, you can use it a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Why not put the carrots in a bag and roll over them in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Would be surprised if the supermarkets didn't carry it. The healthfood shop heading in towards town on Francis St sold it, last time I was in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NatalieA

Try foreign shops, polish or russian might have it, bought recently carrot- apple-peach juice there, they say carrots good for kids.
    Also, how my granny did: wash carrots, peal with potatoe pealer or nife, grade with grader (smaller one), just mind your fingers. Then sqeese through muslin square. Put few spoons at a time in a middle, put the ends together and squeese the middle part. what's left in a cloth throw out, Will need whole bag of carrots to make 1 glass of juce, but really tasty. Buy juicy carrots only. Jused to love this stuff, my granny believed that drinking it will improve my sight, it didn't, though enjoyed the juice. :)

Right, thanks for all the input (suggestion with "bag & car" definitely on the top of the list :D)

Borrowed a juicer from a friend and will give that a go in a bit. Seeing that Lidl has a kilo of carrots for 29 cents and all.... I'm just wondering how much juice I would get out of a kilo of carrots, as obviously they are not as juicy as apples.

Still will check Tesco also on today's shopping trip. Health food stores (yep, Meanwell is also in Ennis) would be last resource, due to the (probably justified if top quality) high prices.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

Snowc wrote: »
    Why not put the carrots in a bag and roll over them in the car.

LOL !

This concept could usefully be extended to mashed potato,
    turnip and carrots, and smoothies.

Maybe you could also try it on some TD's . . .

Chris

is is definately in tesco.
    I would suggest a juicer, i get nice bag of carrots for a euro in my local centra and it does a great job.

I've just returned from Tesco and nope, no carrot juice :( I asked and was informed that "we don't do that anymore". Hmm, so I guess they used to have it but taken it out.

@ NatalieA:

Your granny is right, carrots are good for your eyes. Proof: Ever seen a rabbit with glasses? (yeah, corny, I know :D).
    In Germany all the babies get carrot juice added to their food (bottles). Not only does it give them a lovely colour, it also helps the digestive system, the skin pigmentation development and the immune system gets strengthened.

So....out comes the juicer and I will give it a try now.....

Advertisement