Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble setting up wifi on new Xbox

• 25-12-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Ok, long story short I'm having trouble setting up my little brothers new xbox on the wifi.
    Over at the mothers house at the moment, they're with UPC with a Cisco EPC2425. They don't have a pc, only an older acer laptop.

I'm embarassedly confused. From what I'm reading the wifi on the xbox needs a pc w/network card to route through, it can't connect directly to the modem?

Comments

You need a wireless adapter for it to connect to wireless
    Looks like this.
    wirelessXBoxWirelessAdapter48491.jpg.
    Other than that the only thing you can do is connect it via ethernet to the modem.
    You can also connect the xbox to a laptop that's connected to the wireless and bridge the local and wireless connections, this acts as a wireless adapter. Your signal strength won't be as good though.
    Here's a good wikihow article on the above
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Laptop-As-an-Xbox-Wireless-Adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Bizarre. I can connect to the router and get perfect wifi with a €50 Android phone, and yet with a €250 piece of hardware that boasts of it's "internal wifi capability" you have to jump through hoops. :(

thanks for the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If it's a new Xbox you don't need that, so don't make any hasty purchases. I haven't got wireless setup on my Xbox but is there no option to scan? Seems odd to me that it can't find the connection if you're scanning.

Yeah, slowly grinding my way through it.
    Got the internal wifi working, it's detecting the home network.
    To connect it's looking for the WPA though, I only have the SSID+password.
    To get the WPA I have to log into the router, have the ip for that, but there's no username or password listed in any of the documentation that the router came with so I'm stuck at the cisco login screen, can't retrieve the WPA and it's not listed in the documentation, or on the underside of the router...
    :o:o
    Edit: Apparently I can reset the router and the login should return to a default. Going to keep looking before I go and do that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not sure if UPC provide specific passwords for each modem/router, might be worth checking here to see if anyone knows of a handy way to get around it.

I feel your pain btw, hate being the go-to person and getting caught out. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, sucks.

I've managed to get into the routers "homepage" but damned if I can find what I'm looking for!

Ho hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm upc, I just set it up automatically and it worked straight away

You didn't need to input your wpa?
    That's the part causing all the problems.

Advertisement