Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen pipes/problems with ice/snow

Options
  • 25-12-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just thought i'd open a thread for any tips on how best to cope with frozen pipes or any other weather related problems

Its in the cork section cause i was wondering can i buy anything to resolve the whole frozen pipes issue! Or do I have to wait for a natural thaw?
    If there is something I can buy, what and where? :P

A mod can move this if there's a more suitable place!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Same problem here! Have tried a heater in the attic along with bulb on but no good so far!
    Water left in Kitchen tap now and that's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I have a problem with frozen pipes as well. Getting water off my neighbours whenever I need it which I'm greatful for. :) I have 2x25 litre drums filled up so should last me for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Can't wait for the thaw, even if I do have burst pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Our water was gone yesterday morning when we got up. External mains supply frozen. About half our neighbours have the same problem. Luckily all the neighbours are great so everyone sorted for water. It is a pain in the ass (today especially with all the washing up after feeding 7 people) but manageable just about. Can't wait for the thaw to set in and get rid of this feckin stupid cold weather.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ours went yesterday - pain in d hole...
    Luckily we have some very nice neighbours and they have sorted us out.
    Heading back up to meath tomorrow and hopefully all will be well by the time we get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Yeah well all i've done is parked my car over the stop-cock in the front driveway, insulated the pipes closer to the surface and made numerous trips down to my nans to take water :P
    The pipe problem is localized here! Stupid Glanmire ><

• Advertisement

I can hear drops of water starting to flow down an outside drainpipe. The compacted ice on top of a shelter out my back is starting to break off easily. It can only mean one thing.

The thaw is starting. :D

Don't speak too soon....Forcast is to rain and then freeze over tonight!
    It was 4 degree's when i was driving back at about 7 near mahon, but there was a massive cloud looming above :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pisturchiella

hello, I live in Wilton and I don't have water since the 22th...all neighbours in my apartment block and other houses in the estate in the same situation. We rang the City Council on the 24th and they told us that there was a problem with a burst main in Curraheen Road that might have affected our area...but no specific information whatsoever...anybody here from the Wilton area has more info? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

hello, I live in Wilton and I don't have water since the 22th...all neighbours in my apartment block and other houses in the estate in the same situation. We rang the City Council on the 24th and they told us that there was a problem with a burst main in Curraheen Road that might have affected our area...but no specific information whatsoever...anybody here from the Wilton area has more info? Thanks
    what part of wilton you from , im from togher , girlfirend lives in wilton and im a plumber so i know the story, some of the estates in wilton have their stopcocks so close to the surface that they will be among the first to freeze in the entire city, what estate are you in , tbh the burst main prob isnt affecting you .

what part of wilton you from , im from togher , girlfirend lives in wilton and im a plumber so i know the story, some of the estates in wilton have their stopcocks so close to the surface that they will be among the first to freeze in the entire city, what estate are you in , tbh the burst main prob isnt affecting you .

Thanks a lot for the reply - the estate is Westbury. Pipes froze during the cold spell in January 2010, we didn't have any problem in the beginning of December...the thaw should fix the problem so in theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thanks a lot for the reply - the estate is Westbury. Pipes froze during the cold spell in January 2010, we didn't have any problem in the beginning of December...the thaw should fix the problem so in theory
    well they say temp will reach up to 7 degrees tommorow so i would hope that by tommorow afternoon your water comes back, just be carful the next few days and keep a eye for leaks that may develop in attic etc, and make sure you know where to turn off water in your house usually theres a valve on the incoming mains under the sink.

Thanks Outkast - water was back yesterday night yuppie what a beautiful feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

day 5 still without running water up here in the northside :/ its weird as some houses have it and some dont. really hoping its back sometime today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Our water came back at half two last night. Was delighted to be woken up by the noise of the system filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fgaff

Hi here in Blarney gone inot 6th day without h20....thank god for good neighbours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jilly63

Hi guys anyone no any info on the status of water for Summerhill North plz been without since xmas morning .. didnt expect to not have any so didnt get supplies in ..getting crucial stage now so would appreciate any kind of info on wether we are getting any emergency supplies or if anyone has any fresh water coming in? Tried calling Water bord but constantly engaged :(

Still no water in my system, though my next-door neighbours do. I think it's every second house that has water, the others don't.

I guess I did speak too soon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

if you check Laura McGonigle's website, she has details of supply and stand pipes.

jilly63 wrote: »
    Hi guys anyone no any info on the status of water for Summerhill North plz been without since xmas morning .. didnt expect to not have any so didnt get supplies in ..getting crucial stage now so would appreciate any kind of info on wether we are getting any emergency supplies or if anyone has any fresh water coming in? Tried calling Water bord but constantly engaged :(

Hello, some info on supplies here: http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2010/12/standpipe-water-supply-available/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi Guys my problem as outlined previously is that the Corpo pipe from mains to the stopcock is frozen since the night of 22/23 of Dec. I would have thought that the mild weather would have sorted it but still now water :(
    Am I the only one whose pipes were frozen who is still out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

My water is back :D The sound of that tank filing was as nice as the sound of kids laughing hope anyone still without will be back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

discostu1 wrote: »
    My water is back :D The sound of that tank filing was as nice as the sound of kids laughing hope anyone still without will be back soon

Same here (in blackrock), water started running just after 8. Hallelujah! Been filling containers in case it goes again though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Karmella wrote: »
    Same here (in blackrock), water started running just after 8. Hallelujah! Been filling containers in case it goes again though.

What part of Blackrock are you in? There's no sign of it at my house (Skehard Road).

So the reservoir in glanmire is completely empty so they are gona be turning off the water supply at 9pm tonight!

Hopefully it'll be on again tomorrow, lets stay positive! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Faith wrote: »
    What part of Blackrock are you in? There's no sign of it at my house (Skehard Road).

Just off skehard rd. / church rd. - did yours ever come back?

Advertisement