Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water outage in XXXX -- Read here for Water outages

• 25-12-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone is aware of a scheduled (or unscheduled) water outage in the Congress place / Rathfadden area of Waterford?

Have had no water for 2 days solid now...suspected frozen pipes but have worked the mains / attic / stopcock etc to no effect.

A relative then informed me that the water in my area was actually switched off? Does anyone know if this is accurate? Or could it be a freeze somewhere underground?

Thanks

Netz

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its possible its frozen away from your house - but there is a thaw in place (its 5C in Tramore at least) so it should improve. I'm not aware of any outages. We have frozen pipes here at home in places, another estate nearby had a problem similar to you and it was due to frozen on the roads, and same in places in town.

Water tankers are being provided at Tesco Shopping Centre, Arkeen & The Glen, in front of the Forum Car Park (both adjacent to the bottle banks) over the Christmas period.

Assistance with the collection of water will be provided by Waterford City Council personnel at these locations on: 23rd December from 3pm to 5pm, 24th December from 11am to 3pm and 26th December from 11am to 3pm.

In the event of an emergency householders can contact WCC on 051-875555.

(Taken from the council website).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I have a relative in congress place and they have water .as previous poster said there is a thaw on so hopefully it will be back soon . My heating has packed in again second time in 2 weeks thank god temps are rising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep hang in there! It'll take a little while for the cold in the ground to be beaten but water should be flowing again by Tuesday I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

There have been houses with no water near me for about a week now. Ours went off yesterday. Hoping it will be back on by this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We had a burst mains pipe in our house on Christmas morning :(. Managed to get someone out before it created too much of a mess!

• Advertisement

Christ, they say you should turn water off at the mains if leaving the house empty for a spell, this winter its almost like we should kill the water source regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

Hi all Anyone elses water gone in cherrymount? Has been fine all week just gone today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

The houses either side of me have had their water pipes freeze. Ours is fine.

yep since Tuesday night two doors down is off as well (Frisby homes - cardboard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

bracken drive gone since thursday/friday

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure it's not frozen pipes considering we have had water all week and only gone this morning.

Well ours is fine and running without any hassle. We helped our neighbours get theirs sorted and they haven't come back in to let us know their pipes froze again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill put the two topics on water outage together as today is the time most people will have problems with their water, with the thaw.

Additional Info

Topic Merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Im pretty sure it's not frozen pipes considering we have had water all week and only gone this morning.

Do you have water in the cold tap in the kitchen sink? If not you're not getting anything from the mains. I presume you know all this.
    It does seem unlikely that it would freeze now alright but don't see what else it could be. Do your neighbours have water? That would probably rule out the mains pipe being burst around the house.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Do you have water in the cold tap in the kitchen sink? If not you're not getting anything from the mains. I presume you know all this.
    It does seem unlikely that it would freeze now alright but don't see what else it could be. Do your neighbours have water? That would probably rule out the mains pipe being burst around the house.

Thanks for this, yeah no water coming from the mains and the tank is not refilling both neighbours either side of me have water but we don't. Any suggestions what we would need to do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Thanks for this, yeah no water coming from the mains and the tank is not refilling both neighbours either side of me have water but we don't. Any suggestions what we would need to do ?

Sounds like your mains stockcock out on the footpath is frozen, if you can open the cover pour some hot water down it and this should help speed things up if that is where the problem is. Otherwise you have to wait until nature takes its course.

Call a plumber.. or ask here for free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Sounds like your mains stockcock out on the footpath is frozen, if you can open the cover pour some hot water down it and this should help speed things up if that is where the problem is. Otherwise you have to wait until nature takes its course.

Yep sounds like it did indeed freeze just outside the house. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do. Like Danjo said you can apply hot water to it, usually by wrapping it with a rag or towel and pouring hot water down but this doesn't always work. It shouldn't take long to unfreeze anyway. Does seem strange that it happened to you when the temperatures rose but maybe you just got unlucky.

Hopefully it sorts itself out soon. In the meantime try to get some decent-volume containers to fill up from your neighbours or whatever and make sure the tank in the attic doesn't run dry as this happened to us a few weeks ago, causing an airlock in the cold feed from the attic which was a nightmare.

Good luck with it.

My water is back :):):):) etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

mike65 wrote: »
    My water is back :):):):) etc

Where are you mike??

• Advertisement

Cherrymount. Now known as Cheery-mount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

mike65 wrote: »
    Cherrymount. Now known as Cheery-mount

Hopefully mine will be back soon then, just up the road in avondale! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

In cherrymount as well and ours came back with a bang this morning. Burst pipe in the attic.

Anyone missing water -- Munster Express Dermot Keyes would like to hear from you (dermotkeyes@yahoo.com).

"Hello all. If you witnessed the frozen lakes of Knockaderry/Ballyshunnock, the icy Clodiagh and iced-over Suir or if you've still got no running water, I'd be happy to hear from you. Just post a short message to me here via Facebook message or by email to dermotkeyes@yahoo.com as I'm compiling my latest weather-related story for The Munster Express. Thanks!"

:)

wobbles wrote: »
    In cherrymount as well and ours came back with a bang this morning. Burst pipe in the attic.

Bad luck, are the pipes properly wrapped? They should have foam insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 LittleBandit

We've had no water in Cherrymount since the 18th now, same thing happened last year :(

Mike65 and Wobbles are ye in the 1st or 2nd cherrymount as our taps arent even dripping yet, really thought they would be back by now

Ashley Grove here.

Laurel Park/Court (ye olde Cherrymount)

Services in the county are being effected with phased shut offs today anyway, for leak detection. The council also made this appeal:-

Waterford County Council is appealing to water consumers to conserve water in order to minimise disruption to supplies. The Council is also asking consumers and key holders of holiday homes and commercial properties to check individual properties for leaks and to effect repairs as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

still nothing in bracken drive

Advertisement