Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water outage in XXXX -- Read here for Water outages

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cailineire01

Hi.... I've no running water since last Wednesday night! I thought with the thaw that it would be back at least by today - can anyone give me any ideas as to what or where i can get help? Also, obviously my main water tank in the attic is empty but the 2nd smaller tank (for the central heating) has only about 6 or 7 inches in it - is it ok to have the central heating on?

Thanks......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Would it be possible to draw water from somewhere to fill your tank?

With it being that low, you would only want the heating on for an hour..

Thanks for replying...... I'd have no idea how the take water from somewhere else...... oh really, i'd best turn off the heating so! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

my water never froze but not that the thaw has come we havnt had much water, i think my local authority are really bringing down the pressure to save water....my tank is also empty and the only tap working is the mains tap in the kitchen and its really slow and weak.............maybe its the same with you ???

hi solerina..... i dont know about the local authority doing anything about the pressure but i dont have any water at all not even a drip since last wed night so im presuming it was frozen pipes...

Ant the worst thing is, my housing estate has not been turned over to the local council yet, so I cannot contact them to do anything and with being xmas hols, the company who built the house is obivously still on hols!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Merged with the main topic on water problems. The council have yet to say if there is any water being turned off in the city, but it is in the county. So one would assume its a local problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

my neighbour water never went so I ran a garden hose from his outside tap and connected to my outside tap, turned both on, so I have water

Im not sure how long I should leave them on for though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eh? where are you running the pipe to? How does running from a tap to a tap work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

mike65 wrote: »
    eh? where are you running the pipe to? How does running from a tap to a tap work?

All taps do is release the presure, they aren't 1-way.

Normally of course you wouldn't force water up a tap, but it can be done. Some smart thinking Savic :)

I expect you have to be careful not to cause an overflow in your attic, if your neighbour's water tank is higher than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

I followed all the advice about keeping the house warm and opening the attic trap door.....but my water still got cut off.

Figured out that if everything was OK inside the house , it must be a frozen stopcock outside the house ( in the footpath at the end of my driveway).

I opened the lid to the stopcock and poured a kettle of boiling water on it.....fixed the problem about a minute later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

dayshah wrote: »
    All taps do is release the presure, they aren't 1-way.

Normally of course you wouldn't force water up a tap, but it can be done. Some smart thinking Savic :)

I expect you have to be careful not to cause an overflow in your attic, if your neighbour's water tank is higher than yours.

to be honest it wasnt me who came up with it, last year during teh snow I was away in England and wife rang the builders who built the house, they sent out someone and they came up with this...

So i used it this year. Next door neighbour house is a little higher up alright, I turn outside tap off when Im not using the water or when I am going off for a while

Cunning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

water back in bracken drive
    but no cold taps working upstairs so i must have an air lock somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

SUNGOD wrote: »
    water back in bracken drive
    but no cold taps working upstairs so i must have an air lock somewhere

Aw some nightmare. Happened to us a few weeks back. Just as I was about to attempt to resolve it by forcing water up the tap in the downstairs bathroom from the outside tap it started to clear itself, coughing andspluttering for a little while. Hopefully you'll be as lucky.

It's a nightmare because it means the cisterns aren't refilling even though you've finally got your water back. No showers either if you're got pumped electric ones like most of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

water in grange manor has been back the last day or so, but the electric shower upstairs is the only thing not back working, it just sounds like a hair-dryer when you switch it on, any ideas what to do with it?

Have a look in the Plumbing forum (yes we have one!) I think there are a few queries about them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

LanceStorm wrote: »
    water in grange manor has been back the last day or so, but the electric shower upstairs is the only thing not back working, it just sounds like a hair-dryer when you switch it on, any ideas what to do with it?

I'd guess that someone tried to run it while the water was off and it caused an airlock. If you haven't asked in the plumbing forum yet or gotten it sorted, do so. It's easy to resolve but would depend on what type of shower you have etc.

Advertisement