Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading and Logging

Options
  • 26-12-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

The real title should be "Reading, Logging and Avoiding Reading". :p I am a real procrastinator so I don't expect this to last long. I will try but y'know how things go.

I've really got out of the habit[1] of reading. I'm hoping to get back into it and begin an eye opening[2] and life changing[3] foray into the world of literature.

I'm planning on reading 50 books this year. Set the bar high I say. So I'll have two separate lists; Books and Graphic Novels. I'll keep updating this post as I go along with a list of what I've read.

I'll try to write a little review on each book but don't expect them to be very insightful. Underlying themes, subtext and what not are things that I will probably gloss over in favour of, "There was Monsters and I like Monsters LOL". I'll try to make them as interesting as I can though.

So, hopefully I'll stick with this.

[1]Habit is the wrong word. Reading was never habitual for me. More like sporadic. It sounds good though.
    [2]Not likely.
    [3]Less likely.

Books

Graphic Novels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

1. Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg - Very enjoyable. He chooses to write about the parts of his past that shaped him as a person rather than just any aul memory he can think of. He's also a very witty guy so he keeps the stories entertaining by injecting some of this. Every few chapters he has his "real book" which is a fictional story about a suave, handsome hero by the name of Simon Pegg and his robot butler Canterbury and this was a welcome addition in between each few chapters. :)

Rating: 4/5

Also, I can't edit my opening post so it seems as though I can't updates the lists as I go along. :P

So I'll keep an updated list in each new post.

Books
    1. Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg (Rating: 4/5)

Graphic Novels

Finished all the Scott pilgrim books a few days ago. Extremely enjoyable series. :D Very funny too and nicely drawn. The only downside is that I could read one book in about 30 mins.

Rating: 4.2/5

Books

Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks
    1. Scott Pilgrim: Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 by Bryan Lee O' Malley (Rating: 4.2/5)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - Book 1 and Book 2 were both enjoyable stories and served the bigger story well, I felt Book 3 was a little disappointing. It didn't grip me like the other two and everything felt like it was becoming an endless circle of Batman rueing his old age. (This part served the first two book better but became tedious by the third book). I think we had already established by this point that Batman was only human so maybe we could move forward. I was worried that it might end with Bruce just succumbing to his age and retiring, thankfully I was wrong. Book 4 was absolutely fantastic. I'm not gonna reveal too much but I felt that the last Book was dealt with fantastically. The art throughout is fantastic.

Rating: 4.5/5

Books

1. Scott Pilgrim: Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 by Bryan Lee O' Malley (Rating: 4.2/5)
    2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (Rating: 4.5/5)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Unabridged Version) - I have to say I thought it was a really enjoyable book. I found the themes it dealt with to be very interesting. I know there are others that deal with similar themes so I might look into them. The book is basically about the loss of all the culture and tradition that immigrants brought to America to a new wave of culture and traditions (i.e. the digital age). I thought the characters were pretty well written although sometimes Shadow seemed a bit too distant. Another criticism I'd have is that the real climax comes about 2 or 3 chapters before the book ends and, although there is a good twist after that, it seems to fizzle out rather than go out with a bang (I'm sure the ending is better in the abridged version). However, it's still and extremely enjoyable read.

Rating: 4/5

I'm hoping to read The Hobbit next.

Books
    2. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Rating: 4/5)

2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (Rating: 4.5/5)

Jako8 wrote: »
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - Book 1 and Book 2 were both enjoyable stories and served the bigger story well, I felt Book 3 was a little disappointing. It didn't grip me like the other two and everything felt like it was becoming an endless circle of Batman rueing his old age. (This part served the first two book better but became tedious by the third book). I think we had already established by this point that Batman was only human so maybe we could move forward. I was worried that it might end with Bruce just succumbing to his age and retiring, thankfully I was wrong. Book 4 was absolutely fantastic. I'm not gonna reveal too much but I felt that the last Book was dealt with fantastically. The art throughout is fantastic.

Just re-read this. I used "fantastic" quite a lot at the end there. :p

Note to self: Vary vocabulary. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement