Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is kinect worth it ?

• 26-12-2010 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Since i moved the xbox downstairs ive being tempted to buy the kinect but i want to know is it worth it ive plenty of space but i want it to try get my girlfriend into gaming and my son age 4

So watcha think guys good buy or bad buy ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I got it today, I thought that it would be bad but it's really fun. Even my mom, who has never played a computer game, loves it. I think it's a great buy anyway. But i'm not sure how long it will keep me occupied, or will it be just another wii but in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I got Kinect for Christmas. I wouldn't be a hardcore gamer but I play mostly hardcore type games i.e.shooters,racers,survival horror etc. Kinect is, in my opinion,excellent fun. My other half who normally barely tolerates the xbox loves it. The novelty of the tech with the accessible fun of the likes of Kinect Adventures means it appeals to non gamers. I would recommend buying it.
    (My muscles ache! It would be interesting to see the amount of alcohol/Kinect induced injuries from Christmas Day alone!:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wish I had Kinect. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Its good if your 10 years old or younger! It will be a passing fad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

billyboy01 wrote: »
    Its good if your 10 years old or younger! It will be a passing fad!

This is definately not going to be a passin fad. After setting mine up yesterday I was definately sceptical but after playin it for a few minutes my doubts went out the window.
    This is without doubt the future of gaming technology and will be around for years to come.

If you dont like it fair enough but dont for one minute expect this to pass any time soon.

ps I'm nearly 30 and normally wouldnt play these sort of games, thought the wii was incredibly limited. My normal would be FPS's and the like so I'm not a 10 year old kid lookin for party games only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I wouldn't be into all Wii type games since I love shooters and all that, but I got Kinect yesterday and its great craic. Definitely recommend it, even for the non-game stuff. Like automatically signing you in when it see's you, voice commands for your video and dashboard etc.

Get Kinect Sports. It's legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

coffeenuts wrote: »
    This is without doubt the future of gaming technology and will be around for years to come.

not really

1e6f6a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I got it a few weeks back but took it down for the whole family after dinner ,everyone played ,grand children ,sisters ,mother ,father ,everyone.Kinect sports is great especially the bowling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its not great a bit finicky and has serious lag issues.

The games out for it are fairly crap other than Dance Central which is well made. As above its Wii in HD with a better sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

dreamers75 wrote: »

The games out for it are fairly crap other than Dance Central which is well made. As above its Wii in HD with a better sensor.

Launch titles are never amazing, and the lag issue varies from game to game ... kinect adventures works perfect for me, while motion sports is dodgy as hell...

Its defo not just like the Wii in HD with a better sensor...

for one it doesnt have 480,000 mario games... :D:pac:

give it time and games will get better...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

not really

1e6f6a.jpg

You're actually comparing the Eye Toy to the Kinect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭mossie

dreamers75 wrote: »

I have absolutely no lag issues so far and I've been using it over a month. It needs more serious games to really test it but so far it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

It did have a few issues picking up movement in two player for a few of us playing on Christmas. It's really good, the only problem is I'm a lazy bastard and I woke up in bits the next day, sore shoulder and everything :p Felt like I hit the gym the day before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I agree if you have kids it will be worth it . . . kids enjoyed it so much and it's good for them to keep them fit jumping up and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Would be interested to know how much use it's getting now by people who bought it at launch.. I loved the Wii when I got it and 2 months later I had stopped using it completely.. Waiting to see what people say after a couple of months before I buy one myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Gambler wrote: »
    Would be interested to know how much use it's getting now by people who bought it at launch.. I loved the Wii when I got it and 2 months later I had stopped using it completely.. Waiting to see what people say after a couple of months before I buy one myself..

I think the technology involved in the kinect is amazing.I mean I just walk into the room and then it says "identifying" and then pulls out my gamer tag.I think this was invented for a lot more then games Video chat/party watching movies and selecting without a remote ,and the voice recognition (not currently available in Ireland)If Modern Warefare 2 came out on this you'd have every kid trying to get their hands on one ,and you'd be fit as feck:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have both of them, Wii and Xbox Kinect. I agree technology involved in the kinect is amazing, it managed to detect the depth as well. So far just played one game but it was fantastic. It realy depends the type of game that will come in the future . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're actually comparing the Eye Toy to the Kinect?

yep. little camera, jump around, literally minutes of endless fun. give it a month and there wont be anything else on adverts or donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

yep. little camera, jump around, literally minutes of endless fun. give it a month and there wont be anything else on adverts or donedeal.

Its a little more advanced then that:

Click Me

With the money that Microsoft have put into it, It will around for along time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

My mate has it since launch and it gets used most days and a lot at the weekends when we all call over for a bit of a session.

I picked mine up just before xmas and am having great fun with it. I think the your fitness evolved is class. Did it for 10 min and was in bits the next day.

Not sure how often I'll use the kinect prbaly 2 - 3 times a week at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭budhabob

Not trying to hijack the thread,but just wondering if anyone has seen any decent bundles/deals on the slim and kinect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Its a party/family fun piece of kit and thats it. its not going to represent the future of gaming anymore than the wii did.
    serious gamers dont want peripheral free setups. its just a fad. think about how a fps will work with kinect (the answer is it wont)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Asmodean wrote: »
    Its a party/family fun piece of kit and thats it. its not going to represent the future of gaming anymore than the wii did.
    serious gamers dont want peripheral free setups. its just a fad. think about how a fps will work with kinect (the answer is it wont)

Think about how it will work with RTS's and other game types. It does have the possibility of gathering serious gamers support, once it is implemented in the right way. Just because it wouldn't work with FPS games as well as a controller or keyboard/mouse setup, doesn't mean that 'it's just a fad'. There are a lot of possibilities for kinect and I really hope Microsoft and developers make the most of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think people (and possibly MS and developers) are looking at it in the wrong way. It should be an integrated part of the console and of all entertainment electronics etc. in the living rooms. Things like auto-sign in with facial recognition, auto-start up etc. etc. I don't have the imagination to come up with more interesting uses. :pac: One thing I would like to see would be when playing videos it automatically paused if you stood up to go get something etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

amacachi wrote: »
    I think people (and possibly MS and developers) are looking at it in the wrong way. It should be an integrated part of the console and of all entertainment electronics etc. in the living rooms. Things like auto-sign in with facial recognition, auto-start up etc. etc. I don't have the imagination to come up with more interesting uses. :pac: One thing I would like to see would be when playing videos it automatically paused if you stood up to go get something etc. etc.
    You can see things heading in this direction, MS have big plans for Kinect, theyre spending crazy money on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got mine for xmas as well, and so far only tried Adventures (good fun!) and Dance Central (good fun, but I've no rhythm!) and some of the demo's.
    I'm seriously thinking of getting one of the fitness games and using it every day.
    My other half also played it, and she has never played any other game on the xbox.
    Big test tomorrow when her niece and my little sister come around and try it out, but so far, it seems like it will have a lot more legs than I thought it would, and I can't see it fading away.
    Once it gets going and developers get to grips with it, I can imagine some great moments with it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the tech is amazing alright, in fact the one thing that DOES have me very tempted to get it is the open source drivers are coming out with to interface it with a PC to control other things.

Am tempted to get one just so I can play around with some of that stuff but as for on the xbox itself, I thought that the voice\motion control of the console wasn't enabled over here yet?

Oh and I don't think I'd like to play an FPS with it unless it had a VERY clever control interface. I don't fancy running on the spot to get my character to move or any of that stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Hi all, i got the kinnect at christmas too, it came with kinnect adventures and Ive got kinnect sports and dance central too.
    I want to get one of the fitness games though and just wondering if anyone has any advice or info about which one is better??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

im not a fan of dance central either but it is by far the most advanced game ive ever seen. we played it xmas night whilst habing a few drinks and the craic was brill.
    dance central really test kinect. it picks up every movement bar your fingers and toes. you lose out if you dont move your hips, knees elbows properly and the sensor shows where you went wrong. too me this is an amazing piece of tech and i cant wait to see what the future holds for it

Advertisement