Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is kinect worth it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Gambler wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think the tech is amazing alright, in fact the one thing that DOES have me very tempted to get it is the open source drivers are coming out with to interface it with a PC to control other things.

Am tempted to get one just so I can play around with some of that stuff but as for on the xbox itself, I thought that the voice\motion control of the console wasn't enabled over here yet?

Motion control is here (though not for all blades). Voice control is not though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Voice control works for me for Sky Player and Zune Videos

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its alright i suppose, my 2 kids are getting bored of it already.
    Most annoying is the very noticeable lag, take the hurdles in the sports game for example, you have to jump when you see green on the track but the thing is your about 20 metres away from the hurdle when you are told to jump, this just shows how much of a delay there is,pretty ridiculous really.
    Overall it seems like work in progress to me, nothing special at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

cycocycle wrote: »
    I got Kinect for Christmas. I wouldn't be a hardcore gamer but I play mostly hardcore type games i.e.shooters,racers,survival horror etc. Kinect is, in my opinion,excellent fun. My other half who normally barely tolerates the xbox loves it. The novelty of the tech with the accessible fun of the likes of Kinect Adventures means it appeals to non gamers. I would recommend buying it.
    (My muscles ache! It would be interesting to see the amount of alcohol/Kinect induced injuries from Christmas Day alone!:rolleyes:)

I did my hamstring in playing Kinect with my niece.. Not good, not good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Lol no pain no gain! :p

• Advertisement

I have the Playstation move and it was interesting to play the Kinect. While the games I played were fun (Sports & Dance) I cannot see what other type of games they can make apart from Sports, Fitness and dance games.

When I was in HMV I was chatting to the shop assistant and it was good to see they were telling folks how much space they would need to use the Kinect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Got it for Xmas and I'm still aching :D Had great fun with it Xmas day with a few drinks and smokes, mainly Kinect Sports but tried Adventures for a while as well. Love the bowling on Kinect Sports, boxing as well (although that really took a toll on my arms after 15 mins of it). Still not sure about Kinect Adventures - it seems to do full body tracking quite well but christ, the games you are forced through really bring the pain on :D

Enjoying it so far and looking very forward to seeing what they can do with this tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

For me the fun is short-lived only played Dance Central & Kinect Adventures, the release titles were wishy-washy for me but I am excited about future releases and the potential of this device, Microsoft plan to upgrade the sensor in the future to pick up even more points on the body for greater accuracy and I hope they implement scanning of real-world objects as they had touted this feature in early advertisements. I would like to see some kind of 'double-tap' feature instead of having to hover the cursor over a button(and waiting) to make selections

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I was thinking of getting a kinect for us, too but then I thought about the guy who lives downstairs. He always complains about our parties, which we didn't have for years. He's a little bit crazy. I'm afraid that kinect won't be any use to us with such a neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

yeap , just get a floor mat of something to reduce the noise doing downstairs. Thats what i did, seems to be working ok so far

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You dont have to jump immediately when it goes green you can go much later and make up time. Same with the other events.

Well when we jump later its often too late,especially the long jump etc.
    Overall we are finding it all very laggy even though we have plenty of space and all is set up correctly.
    Very definitely rushed out imo and still only work in progress.
    Having said that maybe the games need improving and the technology is fine.

Dcully wrote: »
    Well when we jump later its often too late,especially the long jump etc.
    Overall we are finding it all very laggy even though we have plenty of space and all is set up correctly.
    Very definitely rushed out imo and still only work in progress.
    Having said that maybe the games need improving and the technology is fine.

Laggy? Not a notion what you're on about. The thing isn't laggy at all. I suggest you bring it back and get a new one.

However it does just sound like a bit of sour grapes. You need to run and jump simultaneously - you can't run, stop, then jump as one of my mates tried doing (albeit not as slowly as described) but the game definitely penalises you if you can't run and jump simultaneously. You just need more practice at it really. I don't have any issues at all with lag and neither does my other mate who I know has one.

Edit: i notice you only encounter lag when trying the running and jumping games - this is definitely an issue you're having due to your technique.

Laggy? Not a notion what you're on about. The thing isn't laggy at all. I suggest you bring it back and get a new one.

However it does just sound like a bit of sour grapes. You need to run and jump simultaneously - you can't run, stop, then jump as one of my mates tried doing (albeit not as slowly as described) but the game definitely penalises you if you can't run and jump simultaneously. You just need more practice at it really. I don't have any issues at all with lag and neither does my other mate who I know has one.

Edit: i notice you only encounter lag when trying the running and jumping games - this is definitely an issue you're having due to your technique.

Where are you getting sour grapes from? sour grapes from what? what a ridiculous statement!
    I dont play the game,played on xmas day for about an houris all, my kids and wife do and there is a definite delay on both our system and a friends, there is atleast a half second delay, not a big deal but not great either.
    Its the same in the one we tried in pc world during the week.

Still pissing myself laughing here over sour grapes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Definite lage of about half a second, pain in the ass for Dance Central but makes the adventure game easier as you can time your movements on the screen.

Is the dance game any good?
    My little 5 year old girl is mad into her hip hop dancing class, i might grab her the game if its any good.
    How many songs etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

the thing would be better if it worked in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is the dance game any good?
    My little 5 year old girl is mad into her hip hop dancing class, i might grab her the game if its any good.
    How many songs etc?

About 30 songs, its very well made my kids love it. i suck balls at it tho 10k on Lady Gaga :( Kids got 400k

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Central

Some DLC out for it thinkit comes out every friday. Worth a purchase bit of replay in it for anyone who likes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Make sure that you kinect isnt in direct sunlight. Some of the games have a little more lag than others but not the running games. I found most of the Sports games to be excellent in terms of lag.

+1 to this advice. Sunlight really messed around with my sensor as well on Christmas day until the Kinect actually gave me a message about it. Cursor and even motions in games were nothing near what I was actually doing with my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

My mate brought it round the other evening. I'm 30 he's 36. We got canned up and were jumping around the place like idiots. However every time I thought about buying it I would catch a glimpse of my sisters Wii gathering dust in the corner. For 150 quid plus 40/50 per game I'm not too sure how long the novelty would last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

MyKeyG wrote: »
    My mate brought it round the other evening. I'm 30 he's 36. We got canned up and were jumping around the place like idiots. However every time I thought about buying it I would catch a glimpse of my sisters Wii gathering dust in the corner. For 150 quid plus 40/50 per game I'm not too sure how long the novelty would last.

I have to agree with this, it's too soon to see if the Kinect will be a novelty or not. Keep the money on your pocket for a few months.

Smoggy wrote: »
    I have to agree with this, it's too soon to see if the Kinect will be a novelty or not. Keep the money on your pocket for a few months.

I got the move on launch day .

It has been sitting gathering dust ever since. Hopefully the Kinect gets a few good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

The 'lag' some people may experience is due to Microsoft removing a built in processor from Kinect before release as it would have been too expensive.

They probably will release an add on later like with Nintendo did the Wii controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Ah the ever popular cynical attitude towards Microsoft, was wondering how long before it emerged in this thread!

Well you cant blame them really. Who would have bought kinect at 200+ euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Where are you getting sour grapes from? sour grapes from what? what a ridiculous statement!
    I dont play the game,played on xmas day for about an houris all, my kids and wife do and there is a definite delay on both our system and a friends, there is atleast a half second delay, not a big deal but not great either.
    Its the same in the one we tried in pc world during the week.

Still pissing myself laughing here over sour grapes :rolleyes:

...Definitly sour grapes mate....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

tried Dance Central yesterday, very innovative menu system and overall a fair leap in games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 irishstoner

It's great to play on, but after a while I find there isn't much else too do.. but hopefully some new types of games get released to spark it up a bit

I must admit it looks like it would make a decent exercise device. We had a couple of go's at the boxing demo and my arms were wrecked the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭trackerman

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I must admit it looks like it would make a decent exercise device. We had a couple of go's at the boxing demo and my arms were wrecked the next day.

I tried the Kinect in Hervey Normans (well my kids did actually).
    While it seemed like great fun jumping around, I could see it needed a LOT of space and there was noticeable delay (lag).
    I agree that it will be a great Keep Fit, Sports and Dance tool but I have my doubts about FPS games. Unless they come up with an add on control device that makes pointing, shooting and running easier, no way could you play 1 hr of COD...

Thats why I got the Move instead, its faster alright but the Eye sucks big time and will need serious improvement.

The ultimate solution will be a combo of Move and Kinect, low lag, high accuracy with full body tracking...

I'm betting both Move and Kinect will come out with hardware additions later this year.

• Advertisement

Actually it fussy on space. We had to push all the furniture back against the back wall. Don't really fancy doing that everytime I want to play it.

Advertisement