Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is kinect worth it ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

I love it, I think its brilliant!

Id love to hear from people who have any of the fitness games though.
    I want to buy one and I would like to hear from others about which might be best to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Gambler wrote: »
    Am tempted to get one just so I can play around with some of that stuff but as for on the xbox itself, I thought that the voice\motion control of the console wasn't enabled over here yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone as I'd love to use it, but iirc the voice control works for everyone bar people living in Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. I though it had to do with the accents but if you don't log into live it works for me. It's just when I've logged into Live it registers me as Irish and suddenly doesn't understand me.. Apparently it's something they're working on but might not be around for a few months yet.

Again please correct me if I'm wrong anyone but that's what I've read and heard....
    Dcully wrote: »
    Is the dance game any good?
    My little 5 year old girl is mad into her hip hop dancing class, i might grab her the game if its any good.
    How many songs etc?

The Dance Central game is the best dance game so far imo for Kinect. Over 30 songs and new downloadable content every now and again. I've downloaded Rihanna's Disturbia and Black Eyed Peas I've Gotta Feeling for parties. :) Starts off nice and easy but definitely gets progressively harder as it introduces spins and body popping moves. :o It also breaks every song down into parts so that you can learn it before completing the full dance, just like a lesson but in your sitting room. :)

I've had the Kinect since it's launch and I use it nearly every day. I love the fact there are no controllers that you don't constantly have to tidy up and rearrange the wires etc like with the Wii. IMO it's defo better than the wii. I had the wii since that came out and had almost every controller for it. I've traded it in since getting Kinect and the Kinect is a breath of fresh air.

It definitely won't be gone from the shelves in a few months. They are meant to be designing games like Tom Clancy's HAWX and so on for the Kinect. I find myself turning my head to TRY to see around corners etc when playing games, they are planning on making this a possibility with Kinect; controlling the camera with a turn of your head, controlling factions with voice commands.

XBOX KINECT FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

The voice control is not working for me either. Any suggestions? I have Motion Sports and Adventure and have not experienced any lag at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

minty16 wrote: »
    The voice control is not working for me either. Any suggestions? I have Motion Sports and Adventure and have not experienced any lag at all yet.

Voice recognition isn't supported in Ireland yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

minty16 wrote: »

As stated in this thread before, Voice commands are not working yet but they will be intruduced in Ireland at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Jason1993

might not be true but i heard off a buddy that gears of war 3 (due in april) was working on a kinect feature:D

i got kinect off my sister for xmas and i think its great, i dont notice any lag, kinect adventures is kind of boring after a while and motionsports is dodgy in some sports (american football) but i think the skiing is great in it... cant wait to see what titles will be out over the next year but i thnk we wont see great games until next xmas during that time when the big developers release the big titles:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Trevor451 wrote: »
    As stated in this thread before, Voice commands are not working yet but they will be intruduced in Ireland at a later date.

There is a way of setting it up but it has something to do with having to change your country to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

igot this release day and was very impressed overall few very important things to remember for an accessory selling at 149 euro though you need lots of room dont even think you can scrape it in a small area. the games are not for serious gamers you will get bored if u consider yourself a serious gamer. voice recognition is not working here.

i can see kinect taking a rapid drop in price as long term they want us buying games not accesories.

do yourselves a favour and wait it out cos at the moment nobody is missing much.

just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Jason1993 wrote: »
    i thnk we wont see great games until next xmas during that time when the big developers release the big titles:rolleyes:

Check out a title called yoostar 2, in short its like a karaoke game but for movies. It has a pre select list of movies and scenes from them. It digitally removes the one of the actors from the scene and then uses kinect to paste you in. You then have to act the scene and get rated after.

You can act with friends together in a scene and after the shoot is done you can upload it straight to facebook from the game menu itself.

There is a move version but from all the developer videos out they are more intrested in kinect seeing as its ots far more natural to act without an adult toy in your hand.

Great idea imo, but will lead to plenty of drunken acting vids on facebook from me!!!! :(:o

THIS is how kinect should be, its not a complete re imagining of how we play games. Its rare that any new tech immediatly causes a 180 in interaction or development terms but its in half steps first, this takes a well established idea and takes it one step further using the new tech. Progress imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I don't see any lag on mine at all.
    I don't think the lighting in stores like Harvey Norman etc is great for kinect demos. The darker the room the better it seems to work.

The devise is capable of a lot more. With a firmware which is being worked on the kinect will have more than twice the res as it has now and will be able to detect finger movements and wrist twists. The problem they have to overcome first is due to the input power required from the kinect would be equal to all the USB ports, so if used at the moment the other USB ports would not work at the same time as kinect.

Star wars kinect looks amazing, full on lightsaber control from kinect. It has been put back to dec 2011 and I expect they are waiting for the new firmware to come out. No new hardware will be required (as far as current information suggests)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 mummytotwo

my little lad loves it. He has kinectimals and advertures.
    It has no lag on the kinectimals but there is a def lag on adventures. Sometimes it looks like the person on the screen has broken arm and legs lol. I have tried moving the sensor, there is plenty of room etc. Not sure whats causing it.
    Its good enough. Not something i would use everyday but every so often or when you have people over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know will EA be making games for Kinect suchn as Tiger Woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

Voice commands work fine for me watching movies from the kinect hub on Sky Player. You can turn it on under Settings, Kinect Settings and also make sure the sensor is set to on. It looks like the rest to the voice commands wont be available till Spring.
    If you sign out change you locale to the UK and restart the xbox you have full use of the voice commands but once you sing in there gone.

I have also placed my Kinect on top of the tv and reran the setup and collaboration in Kinect tuner and it seems to be a good bit more accurate now even when sitting down.

Smyths are going to be selling the tv mount at the end of the month for €10 the offical ones are about €50
    http://www.toys.ie/KINECT-TV-MOUNT-!H16223-prod.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I really want to get this now but I'm in the box room so there probably wouldn't be enough space?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I really want to get this now but I'm in the box room so there probably wouldn't be enough space?
    Not nearly enough space.

It needs about 10ft in front of the screen and about same widthwise.
    Especially when 2 people start jumping around or swinging your arms about!

Seriously, pop down to Harvey Norman in Blanch or any other demo. Just watch the kids playing it, any closer than 4ft and the Kenect warns that your are too close. The optimum distance back from the screen is about 6ft, +-3 ft for movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

trackerman wrote: »
    Not nearly enough space.

It needs about 10ft in front of the screen and about same widthwise.
    Especially when 2 people start jumping around or swinging your arms about!

Seriously, pop down to Harvey Norman in Blanch or any other demo. Just watch the kids playing it, any closer than 4ft and the Kenect warns that your are too close. The optimum distance back from the screen is about 6ft, +-3 ft for movement.

I am not sure if ten foot is quite right. I dont have ten foot and happily play two player. To play two player we simply have one player stand a foot in front of the second player (and obviously to the side too) that let's us swing
    Round without hitting each other. You do need room I am not denying that but stores Are not setup for custom players. If I start a game and stand a bit closer to the tv than before the angle of the kinect will try and move to get me in better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jimjay wrote: »
    I am not sure if ten foot is quite right. I dont have ten foot and happily play two player. To play two player we simply have one player stand a foot in front of the second player (and obviously to the side too) that let's us swing
    Round without hitting each other. You do need room I am not denying that but stores Are not setup for custom players. If I start a game and stand a bit closer to the tv than before the angle of the kinect will try and move to get me in better.

MS recommend 6-8ft.

Nemanja91 wrote: »

As the poster says above 6-8ft is recommended. Can you not use it in the sitting room instead of your room? I know it's tough house sharing if that's what you're doing but you won't get as much enjoyment, if any use, out of it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I would love to see a Mirror's Edge type game working with Kinect, running & jumping across buildings would be so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

justryan wrote: »
    I would love to see a Mirror's Edge type game working with Kinect, running & jumping across buildings would be so much fun

They'd need to fix the lag first though. Mirror's Edge requires very quick precise moves. BTW, come on EA/DICE, get the finger out and make ME2 already. They are probably too busy on Battlefield 6 though as it will sell millions more than any ME game will though.:mad: sheepeople gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The lag would be a small hurdle I'm sure it is early days for this device, Microsoft announced more features to come this spring at CES 2011, including facial recognition and translating facial movements to avatar characters the possibilities are endless. Incorporating the Kinect device with Mirror's Edge wouldn't be so hard to implement, I'm not a game developer but on screen prompts could tell you when to jump etc and you'd have a limited time to act or fall to your death :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Bought it last week and loving it, we are new to xbox too but I am adoring the Kinect, 5 year old loves it too and at least he is not sitting on his bum playing adventures.

They'd need to fix the lag first though. Mirror's Edge requires very quick precise moves. BTW, come on EA/DICE, get the finger out and make ME2 already. They are probably too busy on Battlefield 6 though as it will sell millions more than any ME game will though.:mad: sheepeople gamers.

Ha ha didn't read your post properly and nearly exploded at the thought that there was going to be a Mass Effect game for Kinect. I was so excited! I imagined holding up a forcefield and diving behind rocks to take out husks! ...Then I read it properly. I've never been so let down in my life.

@ jimjay: Star wars game looks awesome!! Was sorely tempted to get the Harry Potter game just to check out the motion control for the wand but it was slated by most of the xbox mags. Can't wait for Star Wars now though; I hope they are able to incorporate both light saber and the actualy force powers into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

NoDice wrote: »
    @ jimjay: Star wars game looks awesome!! Was sorely tempted to get the Harry Potter game just to check out the motion control for the wand but it was slated by most of the xbox mags. Can't wait for Star Wars now though; I hope they are able to incorporate both light saber and the actualy force powers into it!
    Was excited about the Star Wars game for about half a day - the idea could have been good, but the gameplay footage from E3 last year looked like an on-rails jobbie.

You move (automatically) forwards 100 yards and a wave of Storm Troopers attack you, force blast them away, forwards another 100 yards automatically and another similar wave of Storm Troopers come at you with equal disregard for their own lives, and so on...
    Could grow very old very quickly. How disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

I love mine. Dance Central is great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Used one over Christmas, and it's sh*t! :mad:
    Never going to replace a controller IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

From what I have played of it, dance central , adventures , that fight one? It's fun , just not hold my attention for any great length of time or €150 fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi All,

This thread has gone a little quiet over the last two weeks. Is anyone still playing with their Kinect? I'm tempted to get it, but waiting to see if it'll fizzle out first (You see, I've been burned with buying new technology early before - I own a Sega Mega CD 32X! :pac:)

Are there any decent games on the horizon, or are we going to have to wait until E3 to get something new announced?

(Note: I've seen the list on Wikipedia, and that doesn't fill me with confidence. But, then again, it's Wikipedia so might not be the most accurate).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

has the voice commands been activated yet for Ireland?? just got a new TV so waiting to buy a TV mount in smyths only a tenner so not bad

http://www.toys.ie/KINECT-TV-MOUNT-!H16223-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=b3b4beab-d533-4507-b36c-08964ca5ef47

Advertisement