Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC won't turn on

• 26-12-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey. Just installed new game on my pc, playing for an hour or so. Left on pause for Christmas dinner, came back afterwards and pc was off. Tried to start up and nothing. No lights or fans kicking in. Any clues? Decent enough machine thats a year old so is well able for it. Tried disconnecting hard and disc drives and usb from M.B. to power up to check the psu and still nothing. Not too sure what I am at though, only read on internet to try check psu.
    Cheers if anyone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

smjpl wrote: »
    Hey. Just installed new game on my pc, playing for an hour or so. Left on pause for Christmas dinner, came back afterwards and pc was off. Tried to start up and nothing. No lights or fans kicking in. Any clues? Decent enough machine thats a year old so is well able for it. Tried disconnecting hard and disc drives and usb from M.B. to power up to check the psu and still nothing. Not too sure what I am at though, only read on internet to try check psu.
    Cheers if anyone can help.
    Did you check the plug fuse , sounds simple but i had one go on me two weeks ago and was like oh **** no , then calmed down and changed the fuse and luckily it was that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

i assume u plugged power out and back in and tried another cable (to rule out fuse) and assuming the mains power is ok it sounds like PSU alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Yea tried different lead. Think it is psu but don't want to fork out for a new one unless i am sure. Any easy way to do it with multimeter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

your multimeter will have a continuity tester, make sure the fuse is out before testing, if the meter beeps the fuse is fine. If the fuse in PSU is gone make sure you get the exact replacement or you'll damage motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Will that just check the fuse? I want to see if power is leaving the psu going to the PC. Or are you talking about a internal fuse inside the psu. I don't know much about them. Changed power lead so its not fuse in the plug.

Cheers again for everyones help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

theres an internal fuse inside the PSU, if thats blown no power will get to the motherboard. If you have no knowledge of electrics, its best left to the professionals, take it into PC World or similar.

Advertisement