Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody here quit drinking alcohol?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

What have been the benefits and drawbacks, and how have you found the experience in general?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I haad to do for for a month caus of medication and saved a LOT of money...
    But as soon as the month wasover, stragiht back on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I've given up temporarily, my last drink was Christmas day 2007 :)

I will start drinking again mind, but big benefit is no hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i'll quit now in an hour or so and then go to bed! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yep..january will be the start of my 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

have done it many times and thoroughly enjoyed it, it can really open your eyes to the behaviour of people binge drinking in this country

you defo do not need alcohol to enjoy yourself in this country cos there's plenty of d1ckheads to keep ya entertained with their drunkenness!!

you're far better off both financially and healthwise that's a no-brainer

go for it op and best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Haven't had a drink since i was out last Saturday night. Can't be bothered.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Haven't had a drink since i was out on Saturday night. Can't be bothered.

You do realise its Sunday morning.. hardly an achievement :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

For today, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Did for most of the year,on it last night though.

Thats me till next christmas eve though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

KeithM89 wrote: »
    You do realise its Sunday morning.. hardly an achievement :P

Is today Sunday?? I thought it was Saturday! Well i meant last Saturday week so :p

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Is today Sunday?? I thought it was Saturday! Well i meant last Saturday week so :p

Ah well,thats slightly better thenn!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

Drinking right now. Lovely:P

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I went off it for 9 months in 2009, while training for the marathon. I've never felt better in all my life. I plan on going off it for the year of 2011 and would have given it up in 2010 but I was going travelling around the world and the hassle of telling new people I met that I was Irish and didn't drink as well as being excluded from certain social situations meant I more or less felt I had to drink and wasn't worth it.

After 3 months off the drink I felt absolutely super. Slept waaaaaay better during the night, woke up really refreshed, was able to concentrate better during the day, lost a bit of bodyfat (not related to my marathon training), had better skin and nails, better scalp and hair (have a little dandruff at the moment due to alcohol drying out my body), cleaner/whiter teeth (due to sugars in alcohol, was able to go out during the week and go into work the next day no problem, ate a lot better, had loads more money and was able to travel with it, buy new clothes and save more into my pension and savings account. So there's physical and mental benefits, as well as material. Hope this helps!

I just hate the stigma that's attached to those that don't drink in Ireland. :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I gave up the booze almost a year ago. My drinking had got out of control and I was on the edge of a very slippery slope so I packed in my drinking. I miss it from time to time, but then I remember the sh*t it caused in my life so I have no regrets.

There are so many advantages to not drinking - feel better, feeling healthier, more sharp minded, sleep much better and I eat better. Plus I save a lot of money in the process.

The biggest drawback to being a non drinker is the booze soaked social culture in Ireland and feeling excluded from some circles. I cannot think of a major social event where booze isn't involved.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Elevator wrote: »

you defo do not need alcohol to enjoy yourself in this country cos there's plenty of d1ckheads to keep ya entertained with their drunkenness!!

That's your opinion but there are very few "entertaining dickheads" when they get drink in them.

Usually just pure dickheads out to reek havoc. So putting up with them would drive you to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

I didn't drink at all yesterday(Saturday). I love an oul pint of Heineken now and then.....

Especially in a pub in Dundalk hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Have been off it before for a few months at a time, but I came to the realisation that I really enjoy getting ****ed off my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Never managed more than 5 weeks or so, since I was around 17.

Benefits though was I didn't smoke at all, got into healthier pattern and really noticed the bad elements of a drinking session. Crap eating, etc.

I last done it last new years until mid Feb. Starting again as of now though and gonna try hard this time. It's very hard going out and everyone thinking awh, come on man, just one, ah here (even fúcking strangers) offering to buy you one.

Like I don't drink every weekend but I am pretty fed up with it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Frogdog wrote: »
    I went off it for 9 months in 2009, while training for the marathon. I've never felt better in all my life. I plan on going off it for the year of 2011 and would have given it up in 2010 but I was going travelling around the world and the hassle of telling new people I met that I was Irish and didn't drink as well as being excluded from certain social situations meant I more or less felt I had to drink and wasn't worth it.

After 3 months off the drink I felt absolutely super. Slept waaaaaay better during the night, woke up really refreshed, was able to concentrate better during the day, lost a bit of bodyfat (not related to my marathon training), had better skin and nails, better scalp and hair (have a little dandruff at the moment due to alcohol drying out my body), cleaner/whiter teeth (due to sugars in alcohol, was able to go out during the week and go into work the next day no problem, ate a lot better, had loads more money and was able to travel with it, buy new clothes and save more into my pension and savings account. So there's physical and mental benefits, as well as material. Hope this helps!

I just hate the stigma that's attached to those that don't drink in Ireland. :mad:
    Boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I find it easy to stop drinking as long as i avoid nights out which involve it. Nothing is worse than being surrounded by drunks when your sober. I did it once on night out and promised myself never to do it again.

First of after arriving at the nightclub the very polite and professional bouncer asked how much i had to which i replied 'none', 'yeh well you don't look like you've had none!' he said. I must look wasted when sober or maybe he was just an idiot. He let me in anyway, the w*nker. So while in the nightclub i noticed how ****ing loud the music is. The amount of people that bump into you ****in gets to you. You also notice the amount of sh*t people talk to you while shouting in your ear to convey a completely pointless and stupid sentence. Trying to dance while sober just doesn't happen for me either, seeing your mates bust moves out thinking their Michael Jackson really is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.

What made it worse was getting food after. Couldn't believe i eat the sh*t they serve in places like abra every night out. ****ing horrible. People actually pay money for that.

Maybe I'm just a miserable b*stard when sober. I should become an alco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have! I'd give you some tips but I'm a bit too drunk at the moment.

Maybe my tips aren't the best.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

karlog wrote: »
    I find it easy to stop drinking as long as i avoid nights out which involve it. Nothing is worse than being surrounded by drunks when your sober. I did it once on night out and promised myself never to do it again.

First of after arriving at the nightclub the very polite and professional bouncer asked how much i had to which i replied 'none', 'yeh well you don't look like you've had none!' he said. I must look wasted when sober or maybe he was just an idiot. He let me in anyway, the w*nker. So while in the nightclub i noticed how ****ing loud the music is. The amount of people that bump into you ****in gets to you. You also notice the amount of sh*t people talk to you while shouting in your ear to convey a completely pointless and stupid sentence. Trying to dance while sober just doesn't happen for me either, seeing your mates bust moves out thinking their Michael Jackson really is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.

What made it worse was getting food after. Couldn't believe i eat the sh*t they serve in places like abra every night out. ****ing horrible. People actually pay money for that.

Maybe I'm just a miserable b*stard when sober. I should become an alco.

You sound like great craic :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Rarely drink, replaced it with herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I'm all set and very determined to quit drinking and smoking in the new year. I've talked about doing it and meant to do it before but didn't manage it; i don't think i fully realised then just how much it was dominating my life and how much better i'd be without it.
    This time will be different.
    I'm drinking and smoking my ass off up till new years eve; then, cold turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Gave up temporarily in January which lasted up until May bank holiday weekend. Had a few drinks that night and just thought meh. I've been off it since and don't see myself going back. Horrible hangovers the following day and feeling sluggish for 1/2 more days after that.

Find myself being a lot more productive and it's helped me get a business off the ground. I do get the odd look when people hear but most just say fair play.

Edit: still head wherever with the lads but will generally leave no later than 1, people get dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I don't drink for a few weeks at a time throughout the year. Mostly when i'm trying to lift heavier or going to cut body fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't drink for a few weeks at a time throughout the year. Mostly when i'm trying to lift heavier or going to cut body fat.

Get someone else to pick up the heavy things for you whilst you sit back and have a nice cold beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I quit drinking spirits about 8 years ago, only pints now. Spirits, whiskey in particular, make my other personality, called Gunpowder Billy, come to the fore, and he's not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I hardly drink, have one or two every other month on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Lumen wrote: »
    Get someone else to pick up the heavy things for you whilst you sit back and have a nice cold beer.

There's nothing better than eating clean for a month and not drinking and increasing your lifts and general health. And then going out on a drink and food binge. I only drink to be social and hang out with mates anyways. And i can do that sober.

Advertisement