Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody here quit drinking alcohol?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

JAMESON I,M MY FASCE DRINKINGT BUT I QWUIT SAND DSAW NO APPAREN5T BENEFIT SO IJM DRINKINYG AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I would LOVE to stop drinking. Not a big drinker at all but the prospect of facing a social situation without a glass of vino fills me with fear.

Plus, as I draw on memories of my twenties, how do non-drinkers last the pace until the crucial 10-to-2 rush to score in a nightclub?

I can see how non-drinking men will be swamped by single women in awe of such a magical creature, but how do equally abstemious young women fare? Any wimmins have first hand experience on this?
    colc1 wrote: »
    As a non-drinking bloke I can tell you I had much greater success when I drank women seem to get all uptight and self-conscious when you let out your 'dark secret' haha I would love to meet a lass who didnt drink most seem to be pissheads to be honest who cant stop once they start the idea seems to be to drink into oblivion.

agree with colc. 4 times in 2010 i've been told while chatting to a young lady in a drinking establishment that they'd never trust a non drinker. in 8 years living outside ireland i've never heard this. it's the only thing that bugs me about moving home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macklin

if any woman seen me when i'm drinking they wouldn't trust me either

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Totally agree with colc1 regarding womens general reaction to finding out that i dont drink. However whats even more interesting is my own behaviour to women, when comparing my non drinking self to the days of my wild binges a gentleman has developed inside me, probably too much of a one in fact. For example, on many occasions i've had the opportunity to take a drunk woman home, 8 years ago that would have happened without a nano-seconds thought, now i turn down such an opportunity because theres a huge overbearing awareness inside me that i'm taking advantage of a girl who may or may not regret this in the morning.
    Also its probably important to point out that a lot of drunk women, no matter how hot they may appear earlier in the night, simply become an unattractive mess come 2am and are pretty damn hard to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I stopped drinking for 13 minutes once.

Longest 13 minutes of my life. I thought I was going to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

gilmour wrote: »
    Totally agree with colc1 regarding womens general reaction to finding out that i dont drink. However whats even more interesting is my own behaviour to women, when comparing my non drinking self to the days of my wild binges a gentleman has developed inside me, probably too much of a one in fact. For example, on many occasions i've had the opportunity to take a drunk woman home, 8 years ago that would have happened without a nano-seconds thought, now i turn down such an opportunity because theres a huge overbearing awareness inside me that i'm taking advantage of a girl who may or may not regret this in the morning.
    Also its probably important to point out that a lot of drunk women, no matter how hot they may appear earlier in the night, simply become an unattractive mess come 2am and are pretty damn hard to deal with.

That is just so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

gilmour wrote: »
    now i turn down such an opportunity because theres a huge overbearing awareness inside me that i'm taking advantage of a girl who may or may not regret this in the morning.

Dude, bad attitude - just fake the hangover.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    I stopped drinking for 13 minutes once.

Longest 13 minutes of my life. I thought I was going to die.

George Best reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Quitting drinking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.

In all seriousness, though, I'm off the sauce for the New Year, and we'll see how long this lasts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Gonna stay off it for a few weeks. Have lots of college work to do & really for health reasons aswell. Would have drunk at least twice a week for years, nothing too serious at all but would have been in quantity :) Will see how long I last off it lol

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

5 days in to my 12 weeks of sobriety (3 months sounded too harsh). In pub yesterday with girlfriend as she had a pint and we bumped into some aquaintences. Was almost equally relieved and disapointed i wasn't suddenly thrown into a session. My tea was grand. I could only hang around for one pint as I was bored, or confused, at being in a pub and not drinking. I reckon avoidance of pubs may be the craic for the next while, or having a 'friends' type meet-up with my drinking buddies. They'll love that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I was a year off it last week. A bloody amazing feeling; nearly as good as sex :D The best decision I ever made. I could write a book with the crap I have heard from some people the last year. I'd never make a big deal about me not drinking as its not a big deal really. To me the choice of having a beer and a mineral is the same as going into Starbucks and trying to decide will I have a latte or cappuccino.

But saying that a lot of people don't respect my decision. I couldn't give a toss now if someone has a problem with me not drinking. I think its because I'm 26, and Irish that people find it weird that I don't drink. I was chatting up a girl in a club a few weeks ago. She noticed I wasn't drinking and then started asking me questions and one question was "have I a drink problem?". I think it's a bad reflection on Ireland if people jump to such ignorant conclusions if someone doesn't drink.

I could write a lot more but I'll keep some material for my book :rolleyes:

Advertisement