Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Series 6 trailer

• 26-12-2010 3:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aB_-JEFov4

I don't think i'm the only one excited about this new series :).

Did this trailer get you excited? 55 votes

Oh yessss
    0% 0 votes
    Meh.
    98% 54 votes
    I wonder if i left the turkey in the oven to long.....
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Love the Neil Gaiman (I assume) bit at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I wear a stetson now, stetsons are cool...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

My shopping list has now grown to: bow-tie, fez, rainbow scarf, stetson. :p

Great trailer anyway, very exciting! And look, that spacecraft from The Lodger returns! And River's clothes don't return, for a bit. And the Patrick Troughton influences continue as the Doctor literally becomes a "cosmic hobo"! Promising stuff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Wonder what the story is with River Song this season and i wonder who is is she's going to kill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm very excited about the upcoming season; from all that I've read, it seems like they're really going for an epic, 6 episode arc for this first-half of the new season. It also seems that they've filmed a lot in the America, so it also sounds like a season they'll really push stateside.

Been a long time since I've been this excited about a TV show. Been a 30-year old child is great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The last season got a great reception by all accounts in the US, so much so that BBC America also broadcast A Christmas Carol last night rather than the usual 1-2 week delay. I still don't entirely buy that the break in the season isn't geared towards the American way of broadcasting either.

Eugh, Matthew Graham ("Fear Her") is back. This time for a two-parter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'm glad Matthew Graham is coming back. Fear Her wasn't great but I don't think it was terrible either, so I'm hoping for a good story to redeem himself in the eyes of fandom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Stark wrote: »
    Eugh, Matthew Graham ("Fear Her") is back. This time for a two-parter.

Christ, double the dross then. Surely they can dredge up somebody better ? It would not be hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ebbsy wrote: »
    Christ, double the dross then. Surely they can dredge up somebody better ? It would not be hard.
    In fairness, Fear Her was bad - I mean it was really, really bad - but it was also the most obvious example of a "filler" episode to date. Graham was clearly under orders to deliver a story with no budget, arc or interest, so what we got was ... ugh... that.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt - he is the creator of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes afterall, so he's got decent pedigree & was probably the first person to ask for a second chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Although when you look at the other filler episodes that were done.....much better than that muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My only real fear is that it ends up like many other shows the U.S. use, it absolutely ruins the appeal, storyline and even the fun behind the original.

By the by, it looks like the launch date of series 6 has been announced - April 23rd

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03/dwn090311195508-bbc-america-announce-us.html

Ok, that's stateside, but that does mean it's either a parallel broadcast or it'll be earlier. So only a month or so to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

pixelburp wrote: »
    By the by, it looks like the launch date of series 6 has been announced - April 23rd

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03/dwn090311195508-bbc-america-announce-us.html

Ok, that's stateside, but that does mean it's either a parallel broadcast or it'll be earlier. So only a month or so to go :D

Aren't they a couple of weeks behind? Nearly sure that was the case for the last series.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sonics2k wrote: »
    My only real fear is that it ends up like many other shows the U.S. use, it absolutely ruins the appeal, storyline and even the fun behind the original.

I don't think it will. (Hope not anyway) It's showing on BBC America and not one of the main networks. If NBC or, God forbid, Fox bought the rights then, yes, my fear also would be that they would change it to appeal to a wider US audience. However people watching it on BBC America are actively looking for something different so the worst thing they can do is change it for a more mainstream audience and I think they know this. It's doing just fine and making a large amount of money (esp downloads from Apple Store).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Doctor Who Online - Series 6 Start Date Announced

Doctor Who magazine reporting April 23rd too with a possibility of the second part on the 24th.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I don't think it will. (Hope not anyway) It's showing on BBC America and not one of the main networks. If NBC or, God forbid, Fox bought the rights then, yes, my fear also would be that they would change it to appeal to a wider US audience. However people watching it on BBC America are actively looking for something different so the worst thing they can do is change it for a more mainstream audience and I think they know this. It's doing just fine and making a large amount of money (esp downloads from Apple Store).

That's my hope as well.

To many Classic British show's have been made American, and have only ended badly *cough Fawlty Towers cough*. And as a fan of Doctor Who for some twenty odd years now, it'd be horrible to see it get crushed by a country that simply doesn't "get" British style T.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

K-9 wrote: »
    Aren't they a couple of weeks behind? Nearly sure that was the case for the last series.
    Last series yes, but because of the difference a lot of American fans were watching the episodes by other means as opposed to on transmission, so the plan for Series 6 was to show it in America the same day as Britain, so April 23rd for the States looks like it'll be April 23rd here too.

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/805044/doctor_who_series_6_start_date_revealed.html

Two not-entirely-informative trailers have been released; it seems there's going to be a "prequel" story airing at some point, bridging the gap between series 5 & 6:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

'airing' online

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-6-prequels-16735.htm

"The BBC has announced that the first of three special Doctor Who Series 6 prequels will premiere on the official site “very soon”."

Looks like the first one is tomorrow at 4pm :)

• Advertisement

*giggles like a small child*

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Will we be able to watch these? Doesn't the BBC website only let people living in UK watch their online things?

I sure hope we can :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's the BBC player you're thinking of. These are webisodes so I imagine they'll be available to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shrugging Atlas

Hidden part of the teaser trailer explained in the following link. Neat, but put up spoiler tags for those who really don't want to know (name of link also gives a hint)

Must say its probably the first series of Doctor Who I'm really looking forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »
    Ok, that was very creepy.

I had assumed that monster was from the Neil Gaiman episode at first, looks like something out of the Sandman or Mirrormask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYbVG99Apg i think this is going to be one of the best seasons so far... thoughts on the voice that says fear me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

"Fear me I've killed hundreds of time lords"
    "Fear me I've killed all of them"

Awesome!!!!

• Advertisement

BBC America have released their own trailer, which contains more footage and more self-contained "scenes" than the British one. So arguably this one is more spoiler'y, although it doesn't really give anything away (except how AWESOME this series is looking to be)

I hate the way americans always have a voice over on trailers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I hate the way americans always have a voice over on trailers!!
    I was waiting for the "In a World!" classic trailer qoute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

Steven Moffat has reported one of the big 4 will die in the first two episodes i.e. Rory, Amy, Dr River Song or the Doctor....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

bren2001 wrote: »
    Steven Moffat has reported one of the big 4 will die in the first two episodes i.e. Rory, Amy, Dr River Song or the Doctor....
    River song can't die. We've seen how she dies.

The Doctor can't, because we'd have had a huge media hallaballoo.

I'm betting another fake death (which I hate, as a reader of comics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

bren2001 wrote: »

Really wish I hadn't read that...

• Advertisement

Same..

Still -
    as DD has said, they can't kill River Song as we've already seen her die. They obviously can't kill The Doctor as they'll kill a cash cow with it and cause a media uproar with it.

So it leaves Rory and Amy - can't see it being Amy to be honest, but is it possible they'll kill Rory for real this time? Hope not!

Same..

Still -
    as DD has said, they can't kill River Song as we've already seen her die. They obviously can't kill The Doctor as they'll kill a cash cow with it and cause a media uproar with it.

So it leaves Rory and Amy - can't see it being Amy to be honest, but is it possible they'll kill Rory for real this time? Hope not!
    I think it will be Rory but River Song dies in the library episode and is uploaded onto a computer using the sonic screwdriver. I know they are on different time lines but there is nothing to say he didnt find a way to resurrect her at some point in the show, as ridiculous as that would be

Sorry I probably should of indicated what it said.

Same..

Still -
    can't see it being Amy to be honest
    Lol, I was thinking the same, if only for the crude reason that virtually every father in the country will happily sit through Dr Who now with their kids, sci fi fan or no :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Well just to confuse the
    "who will die" situation some more..

Have a read of this, clearly Rory and Amy on the bike, mention of Alex Kingstons body double, guess that leaves the Doctor...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3509425/Amy-Pond-in-brWorld-War-Who.html

Den Of Geek has a spoiler free review of the opening two episodes of season 6 here!

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    Well just to confuse the
    "who will die" situation some more..

Have a read of this, clearly Rory and Amy on the bike, mention of Alex Kingstons body double, guess that leaves the Doctor...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3509425/Amy-Pond-in-brWorld-War-Who.html

Its not the doctor. Although that would generate a HUGE amount of publicity.

Well don't forget - Matth Smith's Doctor has died already. Remember the finale of last series, where he appears from a possible future, exterminated by that ressurected Dalek. So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the bearded Doctor we see in the trailer is going to be the same idea: a Doctor from a potential future, sacraficing himself to fix the present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to the death not being River Song because of the Library, don't forget the one line that's been repeated over and over ever since 'Forest of The Dead. "Time Can Be ReWritten"

flazio wrote: »
    In relation to the death not being River Song because of the Library, don't forget the one line that's been repeated over and over ever since 'Forest of The Dead. "Time Can Be ReWritten"
    Interesting view but they would have to explain that in the show which would take up needless time. I think it will be River Song and their will be a ridiculous reason to how.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Well don't forget - Matth Smith's Doctor has died already. Remember the finale of last series, where he appears from a possible future, exterminated by that ressurected Dalek. So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the bearded Doctor we see in the trailer is going to be the same idea: a Doctor from a potential future, sacraficing himself to fix the present.

Moffat said they are "not cheating" and everybody would consider that cheating if they did it again lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I know most of you will already have seen it but still one of the greatest Who quotes for awhile, if theoretically incorrect depending on when you are :D
    Fear me, I've killed all of them

Very spoiler'y pics have been released by Digital Spy.
    They're official & from the BBC, but are definitely spoiler'y:

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a313870/new-doctor-who-in-pictures-peek.html

Hold on
    if one of em dies then y is it that their all in pictures of later episodes
    ?

Hold on
    if one of em dies then y is it that their all in pictures of later episodes?

Who knows? For all we know this episode could be set further along the time line for the doctor.
    There is endless possibilities of how they can kill any of the characters but keep them in the show

The cyber controller finally clearly doesn't have a Cybus C on its chest.

Love you Moff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Remember guys and gals - the
    tag is your friend!

• Advertisement
Advertisement