Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs of 2010 in review

Options
  • 26-12-2010 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

So... with the year soon coming to a close, what was the best live performance you saw in 2010? Any other highlights?

On the flip side, what was your least favourite concert, or was there a gig that stood out as a disappointment?

Commentary on what made gigs special or ****e is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll go first on this one.

My gig of the year, as i've voted for in the thread in Rock/Metal section has to be Kiss back at the O2 in May

SETLIST

Modern Day Delilah
    Cold Gin
    Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
    Firehouse
    Say Yeah
    Deuce
    Crazy Crazy Nights
    Calling Dr. Love
    Shock Me
    (Eric amd Tommy jamming together)
    I'm An Animal
    100,000 Years
    I Love It Loud
    (Gene spits blood & flies)
    Love Gun
    Black Diamond
    (with Led Zep's Whole Lotta … moreLove snippet in the intro)
    Detroit Rock City

Encore:

Lick It Up
    Shout It Out Loud
    I Was Made For Lovin' You
    (Paul flies to mini stage)
    God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You II
    (Argent cover)
    Rock And Roll All Nite

Never been mad into Kiss, seen them a couple of times at festivals but never done it for me. Hadn't planned to go to the O2 that night but a few friends had seen them on the tour and said they were on fire, picked up a pair of tickets for 50Euro the day before the gig so headed down.

The whole gig was awesome, the stage show was so OTT it was unreal, it was just good, old fashioned cheesy rock n roll.

From raised drumkits/guitarists to flying band members, this gig had it all. Looking at the setlist goes to show what an awesome back catalogue Kiss really have, not a weak song in sight.
    I've been to hundreds of gigs over the years and this, without a doubt, ranked in the Top 10, no mean feat when ya consider some of the gigs i've been to.

Here's a few pics, have loads more but don't wanna bore ya (Somehow my DSLR and zoom lens found it's way into my wifes bag :rolleyes:)

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_36741.jpg

IMG_36431.jpg

IMG_36211.jpg

IMG_36411.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ah post 2 is exactly why i hate threads like this. Photo's a set list and very little about the actual gig. Each to their own but a thread of posts like that for me is just a headache.

Gig of the year for me is LCD soundsystem on the Satirday night in Tripod. One of those gigs where everything just worked. The crowd were amazing, i've never seen a crowd not stop singing or dancing for an entire gig. Memorable highlight was the calling for the band to come back on before encore.

Setlist was a great smattering from across all their albums, starting with thumping versions of Dance Yrslf and Drunk Girls set the scene up for something special, but the show stoppers for me were All My Friends, I Can Change, and YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH (crass). One of the gigs where I, and everyone i looked at had a smile on and were truly happy to be where it was at.

Boom.

Least favourite i'll come back to.

/aside.
    There's a 2010 thread over in alt/indie if anyone wants to vote on alt/indie albums/songs/gig of the year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Has to be one of the best gigs ive been to . Had been a massive fan for most of my life even though i seen them at Rock Im Park and Pukkelpop but that was the best ive seen them imo. The band were on fire and so were the crowd (had to be the loudest 1300 ish crowd ive heard). It was also cool to see them in such a small venue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i didn't pick a gig per se but a festival, download 2010, my review i wrote about a day or two after the event but never posted
    my first trip to donington, very enjoyable, the only complaints i have are the amount of walking needed to get from one part of the site to the other and the weather on sunday

arrived late on friday just as killswitch were finishing up, listened to crooked vultures for a while before moving over to other stage and into the pit for ac/dc, the setup in donington sh*ts on the way outdoor gigs are done here in ireland, if you want to go into the pit you can, no barrier blocking your way, anyway ac/dc play almost the exact same set as punchestown last year without the rain :D everyone goes home happy, terrific set, great crowd

day two, sun is shining again, its fantastic weather 23-24 degrees, nottingham city hall is decked out in a giant st georges flag as england play usa later today in their first wc game, we arrive in about half-way through lamb of god belting out their set, during the short break we take a wander around to the smaller stages, move into the pit for megadeth, feels like 100 hundred degrees in there with dave playing a belter, its my 4th time to see deth live but i think this one seems extra special, come out totally drained and sit on the grass and enjoy deftones set before going back in for ratm. crowd are going crazy in there and the band haven't even come on stage yet, when they do hit the stage some 20mins late (after the game finishes) with testify its insane, basically one giant crush, very uncomfortable, we are now being pushed right up to the top, i have been to dozens of live gigs but this is now getting very dangerous, we manage to move slightly over to the right after 4 songs. zach has to stop the show to tell people to move back because people at the front are getting badly hurt, gig continues and rage tear down the house or castle, first time i have seen them live but they were band of the wkend no doubt, fantastic

the sky opens just as we are walking in on sunday, thousands of people in their shorts and deckchairs are streaming out of the venue during billy idols set. by the time motorhead hit the stage it was f**king miserable and i am in full raingear from head to toe (can't imagine what it was like for those without), the ground that was rock hard with cracks is now turning into a mire, lemmy does his best but the crowd have lost every ounce of energy it had the previous night it seems. we are running some 40mins late when stone temple pilots come out, i can't believe how small the crowd is now, STP are great though playing all the classics from purple and core albums, scott weiland doesn't seem to mind the rain, clapping my hands seems to be the only reason my hands haven't gone fully numb from the cold at this stage :(

the crowd have returned in their tens of thousands just as the the rain stops but i am still freezing when aerosmith hit the stage with love in a elevator, tyler and perry seem to be getting along fine despite all the talk of their apparent break up last year, again first time to see these guys live and they don't disappoint, classic after classic brings the festival to a enthralling finish. and as quick as that its over, a wet, mucky finish to what has been a great 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Santana @ The O2 was superb musically. Rihanna for production value.

Most disappointed with Stevie Wonder's mess of a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Michael Bublé, if only for the atmosphere - nothing like seeing someone get crushed by thousands of hysterical women running at the stage, priceless. And he was pretty damn awesome himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Cancer Bats at the Academy were pretty excellent and put on a suitably chaotic rock n' roll gig. Robert Hood at the Twisted Pepper was sublime and Dreadzone at the Button Factory were a party as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Those photos are awesome scudzilla, were you standing near the front?

Kiss in The O2 was my favourite gig too, by a far margin. I had already seen them in Belgium in 2008, but everything about their performance this year was so much better. Paul Stanley just oozed top showmanship, really knows how to rile up a crowd (in a good way, not the Axl Rose way). :)

Favourite bit of the concert was Eric Singer's drum solo after the jam with Tommy Thayer. As a drummer myself I love Singer's chops but he's certainly one cocky dude in interviews I've seen with Kiss, taking over the mic even though he's not an original member.

Anyway, when Thayer returned, they resumed playing, and the drum riser lifted to the rafters... awesome. Singer was like "check this out!" and fired a bazooka. :)

The setlist was much better this time round as well, mostly how the songs were ordered, and we got two of my favourite 80s-era Kiss songs (Lick It Up and Crazy Crazy Nights).

This was my first gig seated in The O2, got seats in Block B which is bang in the middle... absolutely fantastic. Despite the corporate branding of the venue, etc. I really dig the place for concerts... massive improvement over The Point.

Excluding performances at festivals, my least favourite gig was Cut Copy in Tripod. How redundant was it to see a synth-heavy band play with no synth player? I caught a bit of their set whatever year they played Electric Picnic and I dug them then, when afaik they had a full band. It was just so boring to watch these guys play along to a backing track... a shame because they have some really good songs.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Gig of the year for me is LCD soundsystem on the Satirday night in Tripod.

Yeah, I saw them at Electric Picnic one year and they were great live. Hopefully I'll catch them at some festival in the future. Tripod would be a fantasic venue for them but €40 or whatever that gig cost would be too much for me.

And Furious-Red, I heard good things about that Limp Bizkit gig. I wouldn't be a massive fan of them but I'd say they put on a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ah post 2 is exactly why i hate threads like this. Photo's a set list and very little about the actual gig. Each to their own but a thread of posts like that for me is just a headache.

So don't read the thread then, simples ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I've been to a few this year. I have to say they were all amazing!

My first gig this year was Seasick Steve in Vicar Street in Feb. He was fantastic. His playing was great and I loved his stories. He seemed like a really genuine guy to. It was a fantastic night. I got some stuffed signed so that was really cool!

Then I went to Slash in Vicar street in June. He rocked the house! Myles Kennedy was sick that night but he still put in 100% (Which a certain other singer would not ;) ). It was so cool hearing the whole of Vicar Street singing 'Sweet Child...' because Myles couldn't.

After that I seen Aslan in Clare. It was a festival and they were so good, As always! One of the best live bands in this country. Played a rare song to which was great because I am a HUGE fan. Some of the nicest people in the music business you will ever meet.

Then I seen the Walls in Kerry. It was quite simply Stunning ;) They are a great band. Hearing Brewing up a Storm and the likes where great! I met the lads during the day too, again this was outdoors. The Puck fair. They were very friendly.

The following day I seen De Dannan in the Puck Fair too. The sound was woeful for most of it. Couldn't hear a thing. That was probably the worst out of the lot this year. When they fixed the sound it was great. I play the fiddle so seeing Frankie Gain was amazing.

I caught the Music show too. That is as always an amazing weekend. Lots to see and do. Great bands and great stalls!

The next gig was Joe Satriani in Vicar Street. Being a guitar player also this was amazing. He is one of the most killed players out there. Seeing him play was a dream come true. Can't fault him at all. He played for ages too.

Next it was Robert Plant & the Band of Joy in the Olympia. This really was one of the highlights. To see Robert Plant live playing Zep songs was incredible. Plus seeing the Band of Joy was a treat. They are insanely good musicians.

A week later I caught Tommy Emmanuel in the Helix. This man is without a doubt the greatest acoustic player you will ever hear. I got to go Backstage before the gig and meet the man. He played a few songs for 6 of us there and signed stuff and chatted. He is so friendly. He made sure to give everyone timer. He shook everybody's hand, asked there name and said pleased to meet you. He is a gentleman. And his playing was mind blowing.

After that was Paul Weller. I've always wanted to see him for years but I missed the past few times he's played here. I seen him on the first night. I have never seen so many Mods in one place before. It was like being in a time warp. He was great. Played loadsa songs. Everything I wanted and more. I was then lucky enough, thanks to a boards member who posted a competition, to see him a second night. And he played a different set which was great.

And to wrap the year off I got to see the amazing Frames in Vicar Street a few weeks ago. They were incredible. The noise they make is so good. Glen is great on stage.

As a whole 2010 was a great year for gigs. Here's to next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

in order of how good i thought the gig was....

1. blink-182 (@ The o2)/The Gaslight Anthem (The Olympia) (Cant decide both excellent

2. Micheal Buble (Aviva) surprised at how much i enjoyed this

3. Mark Ronson & Business INTL (Academy) decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

The Gaslight Anthem at the Olympia were fantastic. Amazing atmosphere and setlist. Definitely one of the highlights of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

LCD soundsystem were amazing in Tripod. I had such high expectations and they just completely blew me away. 10 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 38,438 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My Best Gig- Kiss At The o2 In May.

My Worst Gig- Guns N Roses At The o2 in September.

Roll on 2011 Rush, Bon Jovi, Journey, Big 4 (Well If They Play Dublin lol)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The only gig i made it to this year was Hayseed Dixie at the Roisin Dubh in Galway, They were brilliant and had my ears ringing after despite being an acoustic band.
    Was supposed to go to Airbourne twice but the first time my friend broke his leg, And i hadn't passed my driving test, No way was i gonna drive to Dublin i would've had a nervous breakdown, and missed the 2nd one due to severe sinnusitis. Was also gonna go to Volbeat, but 2 days beforehand they pulled out due to the singer being ill. Can only hope i've better luck next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭emo72

i only went to 2 concerts this year, and tbh wasnt expecting much at either one.

greenday in marley park. turned out they put on a great show it went on for ages, i never realised they were that good live. i was really taking my 12 yo to his first concert but really it was all about me getting to drink beer in a field again;) that they turned out to be a fantastic live band was a major bonus.

crowded house in the olympia. im really showing my age here, but i used to go to these guys gigs years ago. again i wasnt really expecting much, it was just an excuse for me to have beers on a monday evening, with a little easy listening music in the backround. shame on me! for having little faith in neil finn and his merry crew, turned out they were still great. they played all the oldies and i was happy. then, you know, when they start playing the tunes off a new album and you think "ah well, here comes the ****e". turned out the new stuff was brilliant. result. went home happy and got the new album and all is well again.

oh yeah i forgot about AIR in the olympia. they were ****e. i mean i love them,
    but they dumped their band and it was only the 2 of them on stage. i wasnt impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

2010: A Gig odyssey

Right apologies in advance for the length of this, I'm going to do this by month if ya feel like dipping in and out

APRIL

My Gig year started off on april 22nd, Dropkick Murphys at the olympia. I bought myself a ticket for christmas, Following on from 2009 where i saw some of my musical heroes i was looking forward to a gig where i could just relax and enjoy the atmosphere and by christ was there an atmosphere. got there an hour before doors and ended up in the pit. security were being dicks all night but the energy in the pit was awesome. ended up on the barrier just before kiss me i'm ****faced which turned out to be a huge mistake. dkm called the girls on stage and security werent letting them up the sides, which meant i must have helped lift 15-20 girls over the barrier. Ended up on stage for the last 3 songs myself and ended up stealing a drumstick, setlist and a bottle of water.

4 days later i went to see joshua radin in the academy, for those of you unfamiliar with him he's an acoustic singer songwriter from america. I've seen him every time he's played ireland and while (at the time) he wasn't a mind blowing life changing gig, the combo of great songs and a great backing band mean your guaranteed two hours of enjoyment. that and the fact that the crowd is 95% woman. Only downside is that name dropping nordie tosser joe echo (If your reading this I HATE YOU)

MAY

Only 1 gig in may, Frank turner at the academy 2. I first heard frank when he supported gaslight in 09, Missed him in october but got around to seeing him finally. I was really impressed by his opening act Chris TT. He's an english folk singer and while a chubby guy singing about the m1 motorway and musical versions of aa milnes poems shouldn't work but somehow it does. Frank is amazing, no matter the size of the crowd he puts 100% into each song every time and every crowd he has gives everything right back. Coming out of that gig i had a theory, there are 2 kinds of people, Those who love frank turner and those who haven't heard him.

JUNE

Was originally only gonna hit macca that month but found out frank turner was playing doyles ruby sessions, Ironic since i found out that day while in the middle of a session. So off i headed, Comparing this to the other gig wouldn't work since they were so drastically different. Frank was amazing and definitely worked the crowd more in this gig, I got 2 request an autograph and a photo and converted a mate to frank, thus proving my theory.

Next gig was sir paul mccartney in the rds. The crowd at this legitimately ranged from 7-77 and while some of his solo stuff didn't get a great reaction, Singing some of the greatest songs ever commited to history with 3-4 generations is an amazing memory, and the crowd doing the na na na's during the encore was brilliant.

JULY
    Against my better judgement and after a five year absence i hit up oxegen. i saw 14 bands but only cared about 4/5.

Jay Z. People will argue till the end of time about "hip hop at oxegen" etc but to those people i say **** you. After a wait that felt like forever in the cold jigga sauntered on stage and spit a brand new beat before launching into run this town. For the next 90 minutes everyone there got dragged in and the night ending with everyone singing forever young was the moment of the festival for me.

On the saturday i lost my mates and given the option of watching matt bellamy **** on a guitar or having a laugh i decided to go see black eyed peas. I've actually been a fan since before fergie joined so i was looking forward to it. there was no filler just an hour of hits and a cracking 20 minute will.i.am dj set. and while i gotta feeling is overplayed tripe, 20,000 people singing it after being pissed on for 72 hours somehow works.

Sunday was all about 1 man but there was a few bands before him. Earth wind and fire are amazing musicians, their set was just a forty minute jam with 4 songs thrown in. I was worried about how Joshua radin would work in an outdoor enviroment but he just played his upbeat songs and changed around his others and had the crowd rocking.

Then it was time for the main reason we went down there. Eminems fist gig in ireland in years. He started off patchy and the backing track to the new songs was too loud, but people weren't there for the new stuff. Stan, real slim shady, without me, my name is, sing for the moment and closing out with lose yourself. I think jay z is a better rapper but ems back catalogue is much stronger and the crowd seemed to agree.

AUGUST

LIMP BIZKIT, OLYMPIA, OH MY ****ING GOOD LORD.
    yeah, i don't even know where to begin with this one, take a cramped sweaty venue, a band who had never played here before and a generation of people with one common goal, To tear the ****ing roof of the olympia. Limp bizkit sounded tighter than i'd heard a band sound, there was no drunken muppets to ruin it and everyboby in that venue was 10 years younger for one night only.

OCTOBER

For the 3rd time this year and 6th time total, i went to see joshua radin. This put him at the top of my all time seen list. I have never seen anyone change their game up so much in 6 months. He still had the silence and respect for his older stuff but his new album is definitely a rockier one. Clapalongs singalongs and having the audience split for a sing off was the order of the night and he finished with his customary song in the crowd.

October 21st was a date i had been looking forward to for 4 months. Gaslight anthem, by far my favorite band on the planet were playing the hammersmith apollo. This was their joint biggest headline show to date and considering the history of that place something told me i had to be there. the only way i could feasibly do it involved flying out at 6.30, which meant a 4.00 bus to the airport, which meant by the time the gig started i hadn't slept for 40 hours and spent 2 hours on a minibus after an hour in a plane and a half hour tube ride. Combine this with the fact that the opening act were complete crap meant this decision seemed worse as the moments passed. Luckily chuck ragan, his guitar and his fiddle players epic beard cheered me up but i was dead on my feet by the time tga came on. They opened with high lonesom (A supposedly retired song) And by the 3rd song i was leaping around like a lunatic. The next 2 hours went by in a blur of awesomeness. 27 songs each one sounding brand new whether they were from sink or swim, 59 sound or american slang. Met the band after the show but quickly realised i had no idea how to get back to the airport. I would normally be happy to hang around till the first tube but it was frigging freezing. made my way to liverpool st and managed to get a bus back to stansted. By this point i was 49 hours without sleep and only had euros left so couldn't even get food. Despite all that i would do it again for that gig.

NOVEMBER

Paul weller, the olympia, won tickets, wasn't bad.

Exactly one month after seeing them in london, gaslight at the olympia. unlike the epic journey to hammersmith this was a 15 minute walk away. got a photo with brian and met some cool people in the queue. One gripe though, some dude flew over from spain and got guestlist, i flew to a gig and all i got was lost and hypothermia! Sharks were terrible as usual, chuck was magnificent and the crowd seemed really into it. fiddle players beard was awesome.I knew the band wouldn't halfarse it but wondered how it could compete with london. when they walked on to the crowd singing boys are back in town all my fears evaporated. The crowd, the band and the setlist were all better imo and the cheer at the end of the gig was the loudest thing i've ever heard. And the crowd singing during the beak was awesome. Got my poster signed by the band at the end and spent 15 minutes slagging sweden with alex L.

The next night was gaslight again,this time in belfast. just gonna copy an earlier post i made.
    I think overall this was not the worst but the least amazing of the shows i saw this tour. I still think sharks are terrible but the bouncing souls cover with the alex's and chuck was fun. Chuck was his usual awesome self but between the sound being off and the high ceiling in the place his voice got swallowed up a bit.

Gaslight were amazing as usual but you could sense that a five week tour with like four days off had caught up to them. The setlist was almost identical to dublin but whereas there was more crowd interaction here they actually did'nt play for as long (they finished at 10.52 which was awesome for me as i got the 11 o clock bus instead of having to wait till 1). The band were definitely in a more playful mood than the night before, brian got a piggyback ride, Played a solo through alex l's legs and at one point lay on his stomach at the edge of the stage chatting to the girls at the barrier.

The belfast crowd were'nt as loud as dublin but jesus are those guys crazy!!!!! During Backseats i think one guy dove out of the balcony. I just saw a body in midair and did'nt know if it was going up or down. The only negative was that i stayed about 20 feet back from the barrier and thes 4/5 drunk idiots were trying to push up and when they realised they weren't getting forward any further tried to stop people dancing!! Then when brian was telling a story the yelling started "just play the ****ing songs" "we did'nt pay to hear you talk" And my personal favourite "just play the 69 sound so we can go.

DECEMBER

Ended the year with a return to london, this time for frank turner at the academy in brixton. This was his biggest solo gig ever and it didn't dissapoint. the songs from the new album sound good the old classics are classics for a reason. Its a testament to his fanbase that they knew the words to i still believe a week after it's release and 5000 people singing about how were definitely going to hell in what appeared to be a cathedral was surreak.

So there ya go. 2010 in gigs, Got nothing lined up for next year yet though :(

TL;DR Hynesie likes gigs and writing

Top 10 Gigs (without repeating artists)

Gaslight Anthem, The olympia
    Limp bizkit, The olympia
    Frank Turner, Brixton
    Jay z, oxegen
    Eminem, oxegen
    Paul mccartney, Rds
    Dropkick murphys, Olympia
    Joshua Radin, The academy (oct)
    Black eyed peas, oxegen
    Earth wind and fire, oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 technogoblin

This year proved a particularly fantastic year for me, gig-wise, having had the opportunity to see a load of bands I thought worth the effort. I did however miss Gorillaz (to see LCD in London) and Caribou, which, by all accounts was so good, I've decided that in order to avoid any stress, the gig never actually happened.

Kicked the year off a bit late in March with Passion Pit which proved great craic despite my not being a huge fan of theirs, good fun and a fine start to a Saturday night.

MGMT followed and while I like their new album alot (underrated IMO), their live show is entirely overrated. It was inoffensive at best until they did a karaoke version of Kids. I don't like that song either, lads, but come on, I paid to see you play instruments, not frisbee.

LCD cancelled in April (Icelandic volcanoes are not our friends). Pity because it was literally the only thing that kept me going studying for finals, alas, what can you do?!

The Antlers in May was fantastic, some of the best musicianship I've seen on stage all year.

Macca in June was great craic, if not the awe-inspiring performance I was expecting, but the man is 69, and the songs still sound fantastic.

To Punchestown in July, for Oxegen, Friday only, having seen much of the bill I thought worthwhile before. The Black Keys, Jay-Z and Arcade Fire were my chief attractions. The former two were great, Jay-Z is a showman of showmen. Arcade Fire, certainly one of my favourite bands of the last ten years, were magical up the front, the crowd disappointed, and the band noticed, but as a bit of a die-hard, it had been years since The Big Top, and I needed my fix. Great stuff.

Holidayed in Boston this year and caught The Dead Weather, a band I can't fault. The tension created by the music and the relationship between Jack White and Alison Mosshart is indescribable. The support, Harlem, are a quasi-Vampire Weekend I actually like.

Drove up to Belfast and finally saw Kasabian in August, fantastic gig, if a lacklustre performance from a dead-in-the-water Ash preceded it.

Nabbed tickets for Brandon Flowers, etc. for Arthurs' Day, good craic, nothing much to elaborate on though.

Deer Tick in Whelan's this October stands as a highlight of my year, mindblowing stuff, I'd encourage anyone who hasn't seen them to do so at the next available opportunity.

Yeasayer at the Academy was a surprise, not a huge fan but a good gig indeed. Suckers, their support, stole the show for me. Their album is my favourite debut of the year, i'd like to see them get a bit more of the attention they deserve!

The Black Keys again in Tripod, better again than their Oxegen performance, and another personal highlight. Patrick Carney is quite possibly my favourite drummer of all time, and Dan Auerbach's voice is just incredible. Their onstage telepathy makes for something really special!

The Temper Trap at Tripod the same week was the flop of the year in my opinion, I didn't want to go, in my defence, and that's all I want to say about that.

LCD in London, with Hot Chip, was party central, such an incredible gig, I made sure I saw them again the following week in Tripod, and it was even better (Thank you toutless, and Jeff_Lebowski). Such an awe-inducing live act.

MIA at Tripod was mental, for want of a better word. In fact, there is no other word. It was a cesspool of madness, soundtracked by a down-right dirty bassline. Not perfect, but damn fun.

Interpol, another of my disappointments, were sonically perfect, but that was it. I love this band on record, but the live experience doesn't add much, if anything.

Janelle Monae was the best arena gig in a bar all year. She's a superstar. In fact, she may well be James Brown reincarnated.

The National at the Olympia was probably the most intimate gig of the year for me, despite the 1300 capacity of the Olympia. The band continue to reach new heights every time I see them live.

Finished the year two nights with the mac-daddy of live acts, in my humble opinion of the moment: Arcade Fire. Two nights of sheer ecstasy, an Arcade Fire gig makes for a religious experience, songs from each of their 3 albums creating seamless, soaring setlists.

To conclude:

Gigs of the Year

Arcade Fire @ the o2.
    LCD @ Tripod.
    The Black Keys @ Tripod.
    The Dead Weather @ House of Blues.
    Suckers @ The Academy.

Letdowns of the Year

Interpol @ The Olympia.
    MGMT @ The Academy.

and the "Why was I there award" goes to...

The Temper Trap @ Tripod.

emo72 wrote: »
    oh yeah i forgot about AIR in the olympia. they were ****e. i mean i love them,
    but they dumped their band and it was only the 2 of them on stage. i wasnt impressed.

Really? That must have been pretty naff. I'm thinking there must have been more use of video to compensate for the lack of a full live band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Best of the year for me was Godspeed You! Black Emperor in Tripod. 7 years since I saw them last, my expectations were very high and they managed to exceed them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Muse and Kasabian at oxegen...FANTASTIC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Robert Plant in the Olympia sheer class. Best gig of the year.
    Steve Winwood in the Olympia a great night of music
    Crowded House in the Olympia another great show from the band.
    Sting in the 02 brilliant night
    Iron Maiden in the 02 good show
    Guns N Roses in the 02 the band were great Axl was a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

The National at the Olympia. Nothing more needs to be said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

2010 highlights:-

RATM -Finsbury park, London and O2, Dublin. my favourite live band bar none.
    Pearl Jam - New Orleans and O2. first time getting to see them at jazz fest, gig was being televised live to I-raq and most (about 70%) of the audience were in camp chairs.
    Dead Weather - New Orleans and Glasto- Jack...nuff said,the last song 'water' as it was lashing down rain was unforgettable.
    Flaming Lips - Glasto. Blur were on the main stage apparently,im so glad they were cos this was fab.
    Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood - Glasto.... 'i lost myself' repeat and repeat
    Manic Street Preachers - Sinnotts pub (!)... prob the band ive seen most of all in the strangest setting on Arthurs Day
    Kyuss(kind of) - Dublin... without Josh but still the tunes and Garcia was enough
    ASIWYFA - 3 gigs in one day, Belfast - best band in ireland at the mo.

unhighlight -GnR at the O2 -strangest concert ive ever been to, and left, and been back to and it was actually quite good in the end despite the front man being a complete bell-end.

on a scale of 1 to 10, id give 2010 gigwise an 11.

ive vids of parts of most of the above mess here http://www.youtube.com/user/acquiescefc?feature=mhum

2011 -

PJ Harvey in Paris for starters and see how it goes from there.
    Also hoping Meg White sorts her head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

The one's I went to this year, that I can remember are:

Joey Cape, Tony Sly and Jon Snodgrass - Twisted Pepper Dublin
    I'd only ever heard of their respective bands but decided to go along anyway, it was only a tenner or something. So so good, in a nice venue. Very intimate. There was no strict running order and they played solo and with each other throughout the night. All three of them were fantastic. (Got photos and autographs from all three.)

Dropkick Murphys w/Face to Face - Olympia Theatre Dublin
    Was my second time seeing DKM. They never fail live, though they seem to attract a bit of a dickish crowd. Was delighted they played a fair few old ones. Vengeance was definitly a highlight. I wouldn't say they've played that more than five times ever. Face to Face were also good, and warmed the crowd up well. I'd certainly go see them again. (Met Scruffy, and got a photo with Ken and one of his custom plecks after the show)

Frank Turner - Academy2 Dublin
    Best gig of the year. Finished my college exams that day so was already in a good mood. After a day spent on the lush, the atmosphere downstairs in the Academy was unreal. A total sing a long. Even if someone never heard him, and saw him live, they'd leave with a new favourite musician. The quote earlier in the thread about 'Two types of people in the world...' is spot on.
    Got a signed ticket (by Frank and Chris T-T) and set list (by Frank). Both incredibly nice guys.

Green Day w/Joan Jett and Frank Turner - Wembley Stadium
    Green Day were ****ing amazing. Wembley was ****ing amazing. A 100% ****ing great rock and roll show. (And I'm not even into Green Day)

Gaslight Anthem w/ Chuck Ragan and SHARKS - Olympia Theatre Dublin
    A huge let down of a show. GA would be in my top 5 favourites, and they weren't even in the top 2 performances of the night. They flew through their set and there was no crowd interaction. Their half hour set at Oxegen was miles better. Met and got photos with the two Alex's before the show. They were sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I went down the old pop route this year and people can laugh away at me but Pink and Lady Gaga put on some concerts.

Went to Pink as a last minute whim and she blew me away - it was a lovely day in Limerick, and she put on a great, interesting show, and has an amazing voice.

I had very much planned Lady Gaga and she didn't disappoint. Not everyone's cup of tea, but as a massive fan I really felt I got my money's worth. Great singer, funny when she speaks off the cuff, great outfits (but a lack of hats ha ha), and a good show girl.

Finally, a shout out for Imelda May, there's a woman that knows how to throw a gig and get a crowd going, holds her own with the two Yanks mentioned above when it comes to a live show does the Fish Fingers girl from the Liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

My gig going year was something like this;

January & February I’ve not listed on my calendar so leaving blank.

March: 2 Door Cinema Club (Dolans)

April: Ollie Cole (Dolans)
    Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip (Dolans)

May: Pavement (Tripod)
    Flight of the Conchords (Olympia)
    Primavera = Pixies, Pavement, Florence & Machine, Spoon, The Fall, Matt & Kim, Best Coast, Owen Pallet, Hope Sandoval, HEALTH, Gary Numan, Beach House, The Drums, The XX, Broken Social Scene, The Bloody Beetroots, Les Savy Fav.

July: Bump festival outside Limerick.

August: Indiependance = Hot Sprockets, the Flaws, White Lies, Jape & a bunch of bands I just walked in and out of like God is and Astronaut, Ghostcat, Ham Sandwich, Delorentos.

September: Electric Picnic = The National, LCD Soundsystem, Friendly Fires, Foals, Marc Almond, Roxy Music, Mighty Stef, The Horrors, The Fall, Cloud Castle Lake, the Big Pink.

October: Phantom First Friday – Noise Control
    HWCH = Planet Parade, Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters, Sweet Jane, Talulah Does the Hula, Grand Pocket Orchestra, Bitches with Wolves.

November: LCD Soundsystem (Tripod)
    Beach House, Lower Dens, Steve Strohmeier (Vicar Street)
    Planet Parade (Dolans)
    Interpol, Surfer Blood (Olympia)

December: National (Olympia - Friday)
    Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Devendra Banhart (O2 - Sunday)
    Jagermeister Sessions in Dolans = The Flaws, Windings, O Emperor.
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Academy)
    Villagers (Daghda)

Pics from many gigs can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Wasn't a massive fan and only went for a laugh, but my God, Kiss were ****ing unreal. One of the best gigs I have ever been too. The songs were brilliant, the crowd were up for it right from the get go, and the stage show was out of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

My personal top 5:

Eminem @ Oxegen
    Foals @ Olympia
    Arcade Fire @ The Point
    Jay Z @ Oxegen
    Two Door Cinema Club @ Electric Picnic

Worst: MGMT @ Academy

Advertisement