Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study required to get A1 in leaving Cert business?

• 26-12-2010 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm repeating this year and doing higher level business. Just curious to know how much work i'd need to put in to get an A1? Considering i'm starting off knowing absolutely nothing about the subject, i expect it will be quite tough

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Business is not the most difficult subject to get an A1 in. Write out a revision plan and gradually cover the topics. Make sure you leave plenty of time for revision and use exam papers. They are really helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

A bizarre question. It entirely depends on your memory and aptitude for the subject. It may not be possible for you to get an A1, or you may find it very easy to do so. Without knowing anything about you, it is impossible to say "how much study" you need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

A bizarre question. It entirely depends on your memory and aptitude for the subject. It may not be possible for you to get an A1, or you may find it very easy to do so. Without knowing anything about you, it is impossible to say "how much study" you need to do.

Agreed. Not possible to say. Comparatively, I would say it would take less time than Accounting and more than Economics (but again, that's not the rule and just my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sibylla wrote: »
    Business is not the most difficult subject to get an A1 in. Write out a revision plan and gradually cover the topics. Make sure you leave plenty of time for revision and use exam papers. They are really helpful.

I disagree. It's a very easy subject to do well in and maybe even get an A2 but A1's are genuinely a lot more difficult than they seem. You get docked marks a lot in business for not having enough points etc., nothing substantial but for example 2 marks here and 3 marks there and perhaps a mark here and there for forgetting and example and you're down to an A2 or a B1.

Also, don't use the exam paper answers on the website, they're absolute tripe of the highest order. Keep it brief, simple and perhaps try to give an example that's recent. Use highlighters on the day to make your points stand out and avoid mindless waffle. I think this years ABQ will be a bit of a cnut so you've to study those units quite hard, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AtomicMess

Unless you want to be repeating next year, give up Business!
    I've been doing it since 5th year and it's really difficult,
    the examiners really abuse the marking schemes as it's really hard to get an A grade.
    Business is too demanding when it comes to dividing your time out fairly for your other subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

AtomicMess wrote: »
    Unless you want to be repeating next year, give up Business!
    I've been doing it since 5th year and it's really difficult,
    the examiners really abuse the marking schemes as it's really hard to get an A grade.
    Business is too demanding when it comes to dividing your time out fairly for your other subjects.

I think a lot of people find Leaving cert business very difficult, also it is percieved as an "easy subject" it is certainly not so. It's a huge, broad course and the marking scheme is a total b**ch.. I have a super, super teacher he simplifies everything and gives current, easy to remember examples. However no person in his class last year achieved an A. The marking schemes totally screwed them over. The best thing to do is consistently go over your exam papers checking the correct procedure for answering on the marking schemes. The short questions can be quite repetitive so it's worth your while going back a few years on them. Possibly the worst question answered according to my teacher is the ABQ. If you study this off by heart it is not that difficult to get near full marks. You will probably have to go over your ABQ chapters twice as much as the rest of your chapters.

Remember State, Explain, Example..

But I do agree Leaving Cert. Business is a bit**. Economics is much easier i'm doing it myself, lovely short course and the marking scheme is very fair!;)

Advertisement