Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100mb with XP

• 26-12-2010 8:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭

Could someone please confirm that XP is capable of using the bandwidth, I had the 100mb installed and tech support are insisting that windows 7 is the only operating system that is suitable.

I have only reached 39mb download since having it installed (Gigabit Ethernet), the 2nd engineer to look at it replaced the thomson router to no avail, he recons its the cable from manhole to house but cant test it until thaw.

I know that when I next contact tech support about it they will be banging on about windows 7 again so is anyone using XP, or could they please try?

would love to see a XP 100mb speedtest.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The os should make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Take a look at this page at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com it shows XP going will over 100Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you can connect two computers to your network, you could transfer a large file between them locally, and check the speed that way. This will tell you if the problem is the LAN or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thanks jor el, that sounds like proof in the making!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even Windows For Workgroups 3.11 with 32bit TCP/IP will work and be able to use up the bandwidth.*

If you have 100Mbps or 1Gbps ethernet card on XP you are sorted. Use Cat5e cable.

Often Wifi on any OS, even 802.11n 250Mbps can't use up the Bandwidth.

(* Assuming a Network card driver and Internet Applications. The Browsers are a bit out of date and only some old network cards have the drivers, but there are 100Mbps cards).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Mech1 wrote: »
    Could someone please confirm that XP is capable of using the bandwidth, I had the 100mb installed and tech support are insisting that windows 7 is the only operating system that is suitable.

I call bs on that comment...XP has no problems like that.

Ok i guess they where right!!!

I have tried all sorts of xp tips and tricks etc.

Installed windows7 as a last resort and all sorted 100mb working.

No they are wrong.

You had some other problem.

We have Windows 2000, Win98, XP, Vista, Win7, Ubuntu, CentOS, OpenWRT all 100Mbps (Win3.11 in the past)
    We have Win2000 Server, XP, Win7, Ubuntu all at 1Gbps also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Ok i guess they where right!!!

You guess wrong but if it works for you then fine.

But at the end of the day XP has no such problems as you've outlined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

dont forget that you need a powerfull computer to get 100mb download speeds :o

• Advertisement

At least a PIII 450MHz running Windows 98 or Red Hat 6.0

I think I have the answer, after I installed win7 all well until I reinstalled Avast antivirus, then DL speeds dropped dramatically, I turned off all shields and speed back up.

I was running Avast on the XP installation and never thought to disable it for testing.

I have now installed AVG antivirus on the win7 install and all good. Avast web protection can't seem to keep up with the 100mb.

Thanks for the help.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    dont forget that you need a powerfull computer to get 100mb download speeds to run rubbish AV SW:o

Like a 3GHz Quad Core. ALL AV SW is junk. The Web "Protection" especially so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

..Avast web protection can't seem to keep up with the 100mb.

Thanks for the help.

keep up? Keep up with what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

BostonB wrote: »
    keep up? Keep up with what?

Avast has a real time web content scanner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

New up to 100mb, not garanteed. 80 quid a month of 87.50 euro if you dont have a tv package with them, and an Unlimited cap, capped at 500gb per month! lol:rolleyes:

Read the AUP section
    http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Avast has a real time web content scanner

I assume then it can be turned off leaving the rest of the AV working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

billyboy01 wrote: »
    New up to 100mb, not garanteed. 80 quid a month of 87.50 euro if you dont have a tv package with them, and an Unlimited cap, capped at 500gb per month! lol:rolleyes:

Read the AUP section

And that has what exactly to do with this thread? If you want to let people know you're angry with upc and are leaving them surely you could just pick a thread instead of posting in every thread on the broadband forum:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

And that has what exactly to do with this thread? If you want to let people know you're angry with upc and are leaving them surely you could just pick a thread instead of posting in every thread on the broadband forum:rolleyes:

Well Said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

billyboy01 wrote: »

Read the AUP section

you think that is bad, this is my 1mb connection that costs equivalent to 40 euro. this is at the peak time of 12 in the morning
    God what id give for my upc 30mb connection back

Untitled.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement