Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Saigon's Greatest Story Never Told has been released. Anyone listened to it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

2040 wrote: »
    I got it here. It's a nice album.

Apart from a few so-so tracks near the end it is really good. The Veldt along with Burn It Down are the highlights so far.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My attention has been gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jigga95

It's not extremely new but has anyone heard the left- gas mask ? If not, I strongly recommend that ****... Serious! As is saigons new album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Apart from a few so-so tracks near the end it is really good. The Veldt along with Burn It Down are the highlights so far.:)

That's pretty much how i feel about it. I still need to give it a few more listens though. I often get stuck on the first few songs of an album i like, so that i'd have listened to the first half of an album 5 times and the second half only once or twice.

Also, i would have preferred some variety in production. I like Lazerbeak but i sometimes feel that his beats can feel a bit inorganic, or plastic, or something, if that makes any sense. I would have liked a few Paper Tiger produced tracks and maybe even some outside production.

I think i prefer Lights Out Paris, which really blew me away the first time i listened to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jigga95 wrote: »
    It's not extremely new but has anyone heard the left- gas mask ? If not, I strongly recommend that ****... Serious! As is saigons new album!

Gas Mask is excellent, maybe a little long but excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Saigon's Greatest Story Never Told has been released. Anyone listened to it yet?

Yeah mate, been listening to it all weekend, very good album IMO, production is top notch and Sai himself really delivered.

Well worth the wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Yeah, it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chickenwing

Cant Wait for Lasers - Lupe Fiasco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

So what does everyone make of Tyler the Creator, is he the next big thing? Album drops in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

So what does everyone make of Tyler the Creator, is he the next big thing? Album drops in April.

Subject matter in his songs is very out there, even for rap. Check out the Odd Future Tumblr for his and his crew's free mixtapes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

2040 wrote: »
    That's pretty much how i feel about it. I still need to give it a few more listens though. I often get stuck on the first few songs of an album i like, so that i'd have listened to the first half of an album 5 times and the second half only once or twice.

Also, i would have preferred some variety in production. I like Lazerbeak but i sometimes feel that his beats can feel a bit inorganic, or plastic, or something, if that makes any sense. I would have liked a few Paper Tiger produced tracks and maybe even some outside production.

I think i prefer Lights Out Paris, which really blew me away the first time i listened to it.

I've been trying to listen to this impartially as i'm a bit of a DTR uber fan. So i've been listening to this about twice a day every day start to finish. First off, i'm looking forward to each play that i give it. There are no moments where i want to skip tracks, and i'm a bit sad when it's all over. But, it's not an exceptional album. It has some really strong points, Radio Opaque is an enormous song as well as what has been mentioned by other posters. Each song is well crafted, the production fitting the rhyme etc. One notable thing is that Sims has really worked on perfecting his patterns and delivery and sound and his subject matter is quite good. Beaks production is excellent in places, but maybe not enough variation. Solid album overall and hasnt fallen victim to the sophmore jinx.

I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like him right now. He is a white critic's wet dream, shock lyrics set to sub par Neptunes beats.

Again thats my opinion which is no more valid than anyone else's here.:)

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like him right now. He is a white critic's wet dream, shock lyrics set to sub par Neptunes beats.

Again thats my opinion which is no more valid than anyone else's here.:)

Not too gone on him myself. But have only skimmed through some of his songs on YouTube. Will wait for his album before making up my mind.

Lupe Fiasco's Lasers seems to have leaked online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Lupe Fiasco's Lasers seems to have leaked online.

Ya and it sucks..

Cant wait for this album:

Also leaked Raekwon, WC, and Eminem.

I heard Lasers is getting mostly negative feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Reks album just came online.. Excellent album some awesome beats premier, pete rock, alchemist, statik selectah and more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I heard Lasers is getting mostly negative feedback

I've listened to Lasers a few times now and I'm fairly disappointed with it to be honest, but maybe I just had high hopes? I personally think that Lupe is actually regressing with each album he releases which is a shame because there is huge potential there. Also his choice of producers is something that concerns me, his tracks sound very samey samey on this album.

Raekwon wrote: »
    I've listened to Lasers a few times now and I'm fairly disappointed with it to be honest, but maybe I just had high hopes? I personally think that Lupe is actually regressing with each album he releases which is a shame because there is huge potential there. Also his choice of producers is something that concerns me, his tracks sound very samey samey on this album.

Agree completely with you. When he first came out I really liked him, he was original and rhyming about things rappers usually don't get into. The cool was slightly worse then food and liquor and lasers is a whole lot worse then the cool. Songs like all black everything has a good idea behind it but comes across as a bit heavy handed. Pitty after food and liquor thought he would go on to develop into a great lyricist.

• Advertisement

Agree completely with you. When he first came out I really liked him, he was original and rhyming about things rappers usually don't get into. The cool was slightly worse then food and liquor and lasers is a whole lot worse then the cool. Songs like all black everything has a good idea behind it but comes across as a bit heavy handed. Pitty after food and liquor thought he would go on to develop into a great lyricist.

Yeah I really thought Food & Liqueur would be a launch pad for greater things to come but alas it has been nothing but false dawns for Mr Fiasco. Btw funny you should mention "All Black Everything" because it was the only highlight of the album for me, even though it was nothing more then a great concept that failed to really materialise. The beat is lovely though, I'll have to keep my eye out for The Buchanans in future.

Mac Miller album coming on 15th March called Best Day Ever. This is the lead from it.

I heard this track the other day, there's a video now which is pretty dope.

Due for release on April 5th, from what I've heard from it so far, Adventures in Counter Culture could be album of the year.

oP_rgYf2Cus&feature=player_embedded

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Mac Miller album coming on 15th March called Best Day Ever. This is the lead from it.

I think its another free mixtape as well. The guy seems to be getting quite a big fanbase these days, interesting to see how well his first album does when released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

First single of Atmosphere's new album, The Family Sign.

I'm liking this one a lot...

Just to follow MoyVilla's post, another new video from Rhymesayers from Grieves and Budo. This is from thier upcoming album.

Rhymesayers are going to have a big year this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Nice cover art for the new Cunninlynguists release, Oneirology:
    RBC222CD.jpg

Great track with matching video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

The new Cunninlyguists album is out there :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

So is Pharoahe Monch.

Advertisement