Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales

Options
  • 26-12-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Where is open today and when? Dying to get out and about for a walk about!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

i am also wondering this. do not want to take the chance going into town and nothing open. takes 30 minutes for me to go to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Debenhams is open anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Boots, Penneys, Brown Thomas and River Island are open.

Anto Ryans and Dunnes aren't.

Can't remember about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

JustMary wrote: »
    Boots, Penneys, Brown Thomas and River Island are open.

Christmas should be the one time of the year that staff in shops should be allowed to have a couple of days off, shops like these are starting to treat Stephens day as just another day because there is a market for it. Why can't people stay away and let retail workers have some time off. Before we know it we will be just like the UK and have a large portion of shops open every day of the year.

This year is a tester for a lot of shops to check whether or not they should open every year, if they don't get the custom they wont open next year
    Anto Ryans and Dunnes aren't.

Thats exactly how it should stay :)

Sorry JustMary, I quoted your post as it was the easiest to disect, I know you were just giving advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I drove through town.
    BT didn't look busy.
    I abstained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I worked many a Stephens day. I'd say people that are working aren't being forced to...maybe they feel like there is pressure to, if they are christmas staff hoping for a permanent position after the new year...

There's worse days to work..X-mas for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

HMV is open. I have a friend working there and she is not a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I worked many a Stephens day. I'd say people that are working aren't being forced to...maybe they feel like there is pressure to, if they are christmas staff hoping for a permanent position after the new year...

There's worse days to work..X-mas for one!

I think there should be a rule that if you work Stephen's day you get 3 days off another time. That's fair enough I'd say, and I'd go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Christmas should be the one time of the year that staff in shops should be allowed to have a couple of days off, shops like these are starting to treat Stephens day as just another day because there is a market for it. Why can't people stay away and let retail workers have some time off. Before we know it we will be just like the UK and have a large portion of shops open every day of the year.

This year is a tester for a lot of shops to check whether or not they should open every year, if they don't get the custom they wont open next year

Thats exactly how it should stay :)

Sorry JustMary, I quoted your post as it was the easiest to disect, I know you were just giving advice

You have to remember, not everyone is Christian! The Christmas period can be very boring for non-Christians, so they might want to work. I think the holidays is boring and I am Christian, I can't imagine how more boring it would be if I wasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I worked many a Stephens day. I'd say people that are working aren't being forced to...
    this.

we used to battle to get the hours on st. stephens day as it was double pay. easy money as it was usually super quiet (in a video shop)

all the staff in a petrol station i worked in had to do a few hours on christmas day as that was triple pay. that was always a fun day to work.

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    HMV is open. I have a friend working there and she is not a happy camper.

The one reason I went into town... but i tried to cut through the eyre square shopping centre as i parked near the library, when i saw only Pennys had opened I didn't think there was a chance HMV would have been opened so I just went home again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    this.

we used to battle to get the hours on st. stephens day as it was double pay. easy money as it was usually super quiet (in a video shop)

all the staff in a petrol station i worked in had to do a few hours on christmas day as that was triple pay. that was always a fun day to work.

Have to agree.before I had a family,I'd almost always work st.stephens day. Plenty of food and drink xmas eve&xmas day...by the 26th,you'd just want to get out.
    I work with 5guys who don't celebrate xmas,and none of them mind working xmas eve and stephens day

Christmas should be the one time of the year that staff in shops should be allowed to have a couple of days off, shops like these are starting to treat Stephens day as just another day because there is a market for it. Why can't people stay away and let retail workers have some time off.

Staff who work in retail are entitled to (at least) four weeks paid annual leave, just like workers in any other industry. Frankly I'm struggling to see why retail staff all need to have their leave at the same time as each other, which is what you're saying.

Remember too that healthcare, broadcasting (ie radio and TV), policing, street-cleaning, hospitality, public transport, utilities (gas, electricity, telephone) all have to provide 24x7x365 cover. Just like retail, that doesn't mean that every individual working in those industries works every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Staff who work in retail are entitled to (at least) four weeks paid annual leave, just like workers in any other industry. Frankly I'm struggling to see why retail staff all need to have their leave at the same time as each other, which is what you're saying.

Remember too that healthcare, broadcasting (ie radio and TV), policing, street-cleaning, hospitality, public transport, utilities (gas, electricity, telephone) all have to provide 24x7x365 cover. Just like retail, that doesn't mean that every individual working in those industries works every single day.

YES, but people should be able to live without shopping at least few days a year. ;)

softmee wrote: »
    YES, but people should be able to live without shopping at least few days a year. ;)

Sure, but why does everyone in society have to do it at the same time?

Consider the example of a nurse who's doing 4 x 12 hour shifts each week: if s/he happens to have worked on the 22-25th continuous, why shouldn't she be able to pick up some fresh veggies from the supermarket on the 26th?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

softmee wrote: »

Fair enough materialism has gotten a bit OTT, but it is really frustrating that most places here, in Athlone anyway, was closed today. No shopping centre was open.

Our pipes froze yesterday, we had no drinking water for over 24 hours until the shops opened today. Tesco or Dunnes isn't open so we couldn't get water/clean containers to get water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I was thinking about clothes shops. No need for them at this time.

Whats wrong with retail staff wanting time off together, I work in retail myself and thankfully the shop I work in did not open, it was great to have a few drinks with my colleagues knowing that we were all off. Some of my family are also in retail and it is the one time of the year that I can spend quality time with them and not have to worry about working.

For the people saying that they have worked many a stephens day, that is a choice that you have made, personally if I had the choice I would not work it and the same applies to the majority of my friends.

It would be nice if the people that you have mentioned could have a couple of days off together too but unfortunately the expectancy of them to work during this period has normalized it. I do not want this to happen to retail, there are enough days in the year to go shopping (362). Also the majority of jobs that you have mentioned are public sector and are essential services in order for the country to run successfully, this is not the case for retail.
    Consider the example of a nurse who's doing 4 x 12 hour shifts each week: if s/he happens to have worked on the 22-25th continuous, why shouldn't she be able to pick up some fresh veggies from the supermarket on the 26th?
    I was not refering to grocery stores, food is an everyday requirement, 20% off a top that you love is not
    xo.mary wrote: »
    You have to remember, not everyone is Christian! The Christmas period can be very boring for non-Christians, so they might want to work. I think the holidays is boring and I am Christian, I can't imagine how more boring it would be if I wasn't!
    Oh won't somebody please think of the children!! :) The large majority of people in Ireland are Christian, surely nobody regardless of religion would be bored with having 2 days off, its 2 days not a month, housework can be done, you could go for a walk, you could watch a few of the many films that are on telly. The christian part of christmas doesn't really exist anymore anyways and where it does it lasts the 40 minutes that you would spend in church. There is very little religion involved in christmas in Ireland today, its more about spending then religion
    Where is open today and when? Dying to get out and about for a walk about!
    So how did that go, ruining christmas and all :D

It would be nice if the people that you have mentioned could have a couple of days off together too but unfortunately the expectancy of them to work during this period has normalized it.

If you had a grandmother being cared for in a private sector nursing home, I'm kinda picking you wouldn't think it was ok for her to lie in her own excrement for 48 hours, 'cos it was "nice for the staff to have time off together".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I don't see how walking around the shops ruined Christmas for anyone! Odd comment in my opinion. I was scared walking on those damn paths heavily pregnant. It's a social thing for me, not a shopping thing.

• Advertisement

If you had a grandmother being cared for in a private sector nursing home, I'm kinda picking you wouldn't think it was ok for her to lie in her own excrement for 48 hours, 'cos it was "nice for the staff to have time off together".

I said it would be nice if they could, I never said it was possible, you are being a sensationalist with that scenario too, as I already said those types of jobs are necessary throughout the entire year, having a sale on and opening a retail outlet is not, they are two totally different things. A care home is open the entire year round to provide care for the elderly for the entire year, a shop is open on stephens day so that people can purchase something they can buy every other day of the year. It seems clear to me that you are mistaking the term want with need. An old person who is bed ridden needs to be cared for, a person who goes to town on stephens day wants a bargain even if it at the expense of fellow human beings

I don't see how walking around the shops ruined Christmas for anyone! Odd comment in my opinion. I was scared walking on those damn paths heavily pregnant. It's a social thing for me, not a shopping thing.

If you read the previous posts you might understand, if you and everybody else was not in the shop the staff would not have to work, its a supply and demand market. Retail staff having two days off for christmas is not a big ask, I find it ignorant that people think that its ok just because "the hospitals" are open. Retail workers are people too you know. I fail to see what being pregnant has to do with it or was that just for the sympathy card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you read the previous posts you might understand, if you and everybody else was not in the shop the staff would not have to work, its a supply and demand market. Retail staff having two days off for christmas is not a big ask, I find it ignorant that people think that its ok just because "the hospitals" are open. Retail workers are people too you know. I fail to see what being pregnant has to do with it or was that just for the sympathy card.

I think that she meant that going for a walk outside on icy days would be dangerous and a definite no no in her condition whereas being able to have a long amble through an indoor shopping centre where there's no ice was a safe option.

However that aside I fully agree with your point. I think that it should be no hardship for the public to do without open stores for 48 hours.This year where water supplies were an issue was a huge exception to the norm as we know it. Now we are aware of the possibility of water problems we have no excuse not to buy 48 hours worth of water before Christmas anymore. We bought it this year and were glad we did as our neighbours ended up needing it even though we didn't.

Also sitting in the house for 48 hours is hardly the end of the world. People complain about there being so little time for friends and family and doing silly things like playing games with the kids... is this not the perfect opportunity for these things? Of course hospitals and essential services should continue and if owners of newsagent shops etc want to open up for a few hours they could work in them themselves but I think there should be a big effort to make sure staff are free for those 2 days. I'm surprised to hear so many people moaning. I don't see why non Christians should resent retail staff spending one extra day with their families.

I kinda gathered the ice thing, I was just being a smartarse :D Sorry about that by the way Gaeilgegrinds.

Whimsical - your post pretty much summed up my sentiments that shopping for clothes is not necessary every day of the year. I heard that Penneys made enough money to ensure that they will open next year which is exactly why I feel people shouldnt have gone in this year. Staff will be burdened with these unsocialable hours forevermore. Penneys didnt even have a sale on.

I suppose we will have to accept that more and more shops will open each year as there is a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

How did a thread about the Christmas Sales turn into this:confused:

... I already said those types of jobs are necessary throughout the entire year, having a sale on and opening a retail outlet is not,

Ahh, no, you said that public-sector jobs are necessary throughout the entire year. I was pointing out that some private-sector ones are too.

If you like, substitute the example of a radio or TV employee who has to make sure that the station is on the air, now matter what day it is.

I still don't see why retail staff are so precious that they need specific days off protected, while staff who are making sure that you can watch cr*ppy movies on Christmas afternoon don't.

I wonder how many of the folks who are complaining here are actually retail staff who had to work on any of the days concerned.

And yes, I've worked on Stephen's Day etc in the past, and appreciated the higher pay rates attached.

If you like, substitute the example of a radio or TV employee who has to make sure that the station is on the air, now matter what day it is.

I still don't see why retail staff are so precious that they need specific days off protected, while staff who are making sure that you can watch cr*ppy movies on Christmas afternoon don't.

I wonder how many of the folks who are complaining here are actually retail staff who had to work on any of the days concerned.

The TV situation changed a long time ago and we have no control over that, for the TV stations Christmas day and st stephens day is its premium time of the year, The more people that are at home, the more revenue that can be developed through advertising, staff working in TV surely knew what they were doing when they chose this career path and premium pay surely outweighs premium pay in retail. We do have control of whether or not we go into the shops this year though by not visiting a store on st stephens day.

By your logic everyone should be working st stephens day and we should scrap christmas altogether. Whats next to be open once retail is open on christmas day - offices, airport, building sites, accountancy firms, solicitors etc. or do you think that the people listed are more precious then retail workers.

I am not saying that retail is too precious I just think that people should be at home with there families having conversations, communicating and just generally enjoying the time off without having to worry about the outside world for just two days. In Ireland Today very little focus is around the religious aspect of things and non-christians should enjoy the public holiday too. I don't think its a big ask to have two days off in the year to spend time with family.

I just don't understand why people just can't stay away for that 1 day in the year and how you can defend people that won't. By the way I think it would be great if everyone in Ireland could have both days off but unfortunately that is impossible.

The TV situation changed a long time ago and we have no control over that,

Yes you do: it's called a "remote control"! :rolleyes: No different to asking people not to go shopping.

Whats next to be open once retail is open on christmas day - offices, airport, building sites, accountancy firms, solicitors etc. ....

Airports already are. Did you know that Bus Éireann even ran some bus services on Christmas day this year, for all the delayed people? And I'm sure there are solicitors on duty too, providing advice to the people arrested (for domestic violence among other things) on Christmas Day

... I just think that people should be at home with there families having conversations, communicating and just generally enjoying the time off without having to worry about the outside world for just two days. In Ireland Today very little focus is around the religious aspect of things and non-christians should enjoy the public holiday too. I don't think its a big ask to have two days off in the year to spend time with family.

It's not a big ask: retail staff (like everyone else) have annual leave. Clever families even manage for everyone to have leave at the same time, so they can holiday together. And non-Western-Christian folk might actually like to have their joint holidays at other times, like Diwaili, Ramadan, Orthodox Easter, or whatever.

My last post on the topic, fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yes you do: it's called a "remote control"! :rolleyes: No different to asking people not to go shopping.

Airports already are. Did you know that Bus Éireann even ran some bus services on Christmas day this year, for all the delayed people? And I'm sure there are solicitors on duty too, providing advice to the people arrested (for domestic violence among other things) on Christmas Day

It's not a big ask: retail staff (like everyone else) have annual leave. Clever families even manage for everyone to have leave at the same time, so they can holiday together. And non-Western-Christian folk might actually like to have their joint holidays at other times, like Diwaili, Ramadan, Orthodox Easter, or whatever.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1225/weather.html

Dublin Airport closed as is traditional!!

Retailers should not open Stephens Day and thankfully some still have the sense not to. Having lived in Portugal and experienced their appreciattion of time off on Sundays (major supermarkets only open for 4hours in some towns) and more time for family its easy to understand why our own country has lost a lot of its soul and values. I am not a religious person in any way and i enjoy xmas as a chance to relax and spend time with family, hard enough going back to my retail job on the 27th let alone the 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't most tv channels have the tapes pre-set for Christmas. I know all those god awful music channels do for sure!

Plus some retail staff do work X-mas. Plus they deserve the day off as themselves and people working in bars are the busiest ones in the run up to Christmas. Don't know why anyone would begrudge anyone taking Christmas off.

Bus Eireann did run some bus routes. Not city ones but airport routes. I'm sure the drivers were handsomely paid. Not sure about the solicitors, I only know two and they didn't work x-mas but that doesn't say much. I know the GPs and Vets are on call Christmas day but again they'd be paid alot more than retail staff and for the most part don't experience a huge surge before and after x-mas based on the holiday itself.

Another thing is, is there demand for shops to be open in this country christmas day? I was around Galway on St. Stephens Day and whilst there was a crowd it wasn't a big crowd, I wouldn't see what they would have missed by opening a day later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement