Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULTRA LOW budget build "for a friend"

Options
  • 26-12-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

this isnt really a budget gaming rig, so i thought it could get its own thread:D

i need the barebones of a PC for a friend of mine. he'll only be using it for internet/media, no gaming really. i need to get the budget as low as possible, but i (myself) dont think its worth investing in something that cant be upgraded somewhat, so dont want to go into the rubbish/cheap stuff too much

cheapo.jpg

i got a case with a built in PSU. anyone know what it will be like, and if its capable of power that stuff?

i got 4gb of ram because its cheap and wont have to be upgraded in the future. i was looking at the e6600 dual core, but at the same price, and an extra core, i thought the athlon X3 would be a far better option.

i have no idea what the MoBo is like. is it ok for a cheapo? better option?

GPU: its not going to be stressed much, but is the HD4350 absolute crap? alternatives? the difference in price between the 512mb and 1gb is ~€2, so i put in the 1gb.

anywhere i can cut the budget/ change stuff?

dont want to be spending much more than €300 including delivery..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

bump

no one got any advice?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If its just office + internet you could go with an X2 really. You might as well go with an integrated HD 4200 as there is little to no difference in performance iirc. Doesn't really matter as well if theres no gaming.

This RAM is cheaper and from a more reputable brand:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38051&agid=1192

The PSU is ****e, but you are not going to be stressing it anywhere near 500W so it will be fine. Just don't expect it to be too good if you add a huge graphics card later on.

The rest looks good.

EDIT: This mobo for integraged graphics:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36055&agid=1292

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

1 thing that is important is sound quality. they listen to alot of music. is the onboard sound on that Mobo you suggested any good? ive got a 770-G45 with VIA sound, and its aweful. im getting a pci sound card as soon as i get funds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Its got Realtek, not VIA so it should be fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK the PSU in the Crystal series, while not very good, is at least a known quantity, maxing out around 28A on the 12V rails - enough for a lower-mid-range graphics card (say HD5750) and a basic quadcore CPU. Its basically a lower-quality version of the newer Corsair CX430.

And I'd also recommend going for a HD4200-equipped mobo instead of the card if the machine will be used for media functions. If not then an old nForce6 mobo is actually better if you can believe it (70xxLE lacks BluRay support but actually renders 2D faster than discrete modern GPUs! :p) and cheap as hell! If it will be handling audio always try to get a mobo with a 7.1-channel RealTek solution as its as good as many discrete sound cards; the cheaper VIA solutions have lower quality and suffer EMI issues on many mobos :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement