Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange balls of light

Options
  • 26-12-2010 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I hope this is the appropriate forum.

About 8.30 last night I was in a friends house in Navan, Co Meath. We were out for a smoke when we saw a very bright orange light in the sky moving from east to north at what looked like an incredible speed. There was no noise from an engine and it moved at different speeds before seemingly stopping before disappearing off into the distance.

I thought it might have been a satellite until a saw a second one doing the very same thing a few minutes later.

Did anyone else see this and what on earth was it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Morning all.

I hope this is the appropriate forum.

About 8.30 last night I was in a friends house in Navan, Co Meath. We were out for a smoke when we saw a very bright orange light in the sky moving from east to north at what looked like an incredible speed. There was no noise from an engine and it moved at different speeds before seemingly stopping before disappearing off into the distance.

I thought it might have been a satellite until a saw a second one doing the very same thing a few minutes later.

Did anyone else see this and what on earth was it?

a lantern thing yoke...strong air winds would blow them fast..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

chinese lantern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

a lantern thing yoke...strong air winds would blow them fast..

Yeah one of the lads suggested this but they followed a very uniform formation and zipped across the sky so quickly. It was a very still night so im not sure if the wind could blow them so fast.

I am leaning towards the theory of ball lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Yeah one of the lads suggested this but they followed a very uniform formation and zipped across the sky so quickly. It was a very still night so im not sure if the wind could blow them so fast.

I am leaning towards the theory of ball lightening.

ye maybe or it could be t.elmo's fire wheres gasses come out of a bog form like a fire ball & one minute could be in front of you next miles away....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

ye maybe or it could be t.elmo's fire wheres gasses come out of a bog form like a fire ball & one minute could be in front of you next miles away....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

There arent many bogs around Navan, besides, this was an orange glow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

they are chinese lanterns
    new craze these days
    i tied 6 of them together some job might i add setting this up
    anyhow set them off it looked cool and gives an impression of something in sky aka UFO
    depending on conditions lifetime of flight varies including the speed
    of acsent and decsent
    go buy some
    im going for a ten lot tied together ive made a light frame for them to be attached to so look out you might see a strange object in the shape of an arrow in the skies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Where can you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

most garages have them or shops buddy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Definitely a chinese lantern. The night may have seemed still at ground level but there will always be a breeze higher up and these things are so light that any sort of breeze will cause them to travel at quite a speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

also, a lot of the time if a light in the sky is orange (and it isn't a lantern) it's usually something white that is reflecting the streetlight glow.

i was convinced i was seeing a UFO once doing something similar dancing around the sky that looked like it was big but along way off, but after a while watching it, it turned out to be a seagull and just the angles it was flying at made it look like it was rapidly speeding up and then slowing down and even stopping. couldn't believe it when i finally figured it out and felt like a bit of a plum. :)

sounds like yours was lanterns tho, i have one myself but i didn't launch it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

There arent many bogs around Navan.

Athboy Road???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm amazed so many people manage to succesfully light these things. I bought a few a couple of weeks ago and ended up setting them on fire in the back garden while trying to light them :)

€8 wasted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Anyone know where they can be bought in or near navan.
    I got some in the petrol station on the Dublin road but they haven't had any for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

deckie27 wrote: »
    Anyone know where they can be bought in or near navan.
    I got some in the petrol station on the Dublin road but they haven't had any for a while now

The Esso station in Kilock has them if that helps. Not near Navan I know, but if you're in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Archeron wrote: »
    The Esso station in Kilock has them if that helps. Not near Navan I know, but if you're in the area.

Sweet
    Thanks going by there at the weekend

Advertisement