Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charges for wifi with meteor pay as you go.

Options
  • 26-12-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I recently got a new sony ericsson x8 with meteor pay as you go and I started to use the wifi feature.As I have a wireless internet connection at home i thought that i would not be charged credit.The next day i receiced a message from meteor that said I would have to top up if i wanted to continue using the internet.I had only sent 1 text message and used wifi and 20.00 euro credit had been used.Does anyone know what these charges are for or how to stop them, thanks in advance- lochlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lochlin wrote: »
    I recently got a new sony ericsson x8 with meteor pay as you go and I started to use the wifi feature.As I have a wireless internet connection at home i thought that i would not be charged credit.The next day i receiced a message from meteor that said I would have to top up if i wanted to continue using the internet.I had only sent 1 text message and used wifi and 20.00 euro credit had been used.Does anyone know what these charges are for or how to stop them, thanks in advance- lochlin

Are you sure you are using the WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

wifi is free free free
    give me more info on your connection option your connection prioritys
    your been charged for data not wifi
    so its your connection priorty here thats the prob

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lochlin

jimmynokia wrote: »
    wifi is free free free

Thanks for your help but i was just wondering that if the wifi cannot be picked up by the phone while i am using the internet will it switch to mobile internet automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes it will. You should just turn off mobile internet altogether.

Are you sure you are using the WiFi?

Yes, the wifi was switched on and connected to the router.But in some parts of the house the wireless signal is week and sometimes cannot be picked up.If it disconnected, will it switch from wifi to mobile internet?Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yes it will. You should just turn off mobile internet altogether.

ok thanks i will try that.Could you give me directions on how to do that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not used an X8, but it's probably same as other android devices:

Hold power button down until menu appears.
    Click/touch "Mobile Internet" to disable/enable it.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Not used an X8, but it's probably same as other android devices:

Hold power button down until menu appears.
    Click/touch "Mobile Internet" to disable/enable it.

Alright i played around with the settings and got done a different way and it worked thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I just had Wifi on for about 15 minutes, and it's after using up 20 euro credit!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wifi does not use your credit! While you may be browsing on your phone using wifi, you could have an app running which is using mobiles internet, therefore incurring costs.
    Check what apps you have running and adjust the settings regarding data/internet connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Thank you, I just deleted a few of them so that might do it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

jimmynokia wrote: »
    wifi is free free free

thanks
    i just got a nokia 6700-o2 for xmas, and i couldnt understand why i wasnt getting charged for using the net.

so what your saying is that wi-fi is free if your at home or in an area where there is wi-fi,

but how come i was never asked for a password of any kind, either in my house or a friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

For starters 6700 don't have wifi, wifi is free Jees I'm using it now posting this, the thing is you get a manual for your phone please look at it and then you might figure how to configure and access your wifi and how to figure if your using 3G/edge for your internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Firstly if your connected to WiFi how would meteor know that? They wouldn't so your obviously using the mobile network to access the internet.

I am not familiar with nokias anymore but maybe open your browser go to menu and then settings, your browser itself may be instructed to use a different access point eg: meteor data, although your handset default is WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

as alot of people here have said meteor can't charge you for using wifi as its not using their network in anyway,the only reason you are being charged is that the phone must be set to use the mobile network by default in other words your phones may be using EDGE /3G witout your knowledge.
    you could remove some mobile data settings so the phone cannot do this and then add them again whenever you need to use EDGE/3G on the move:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

gcgirl wrote: »
    For starters 6700 don't have wifi, wifi is free Jees I'm using it now posting this, the thing is you get a manual for your phone please look at it and then you might figure how to configure and access your wifi and how to figure if your using 3G/edge for your internet!

The person only asked a question. there are manuals with alomst everything nowadays. if people checked manuals then there would be no need for internet forums. chill.
    Secondly, if the phone doesnt have wifi capabilities why did you say check the manual for instructions on how to setup wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

GBX wrote: »
    Wifi does not use your credit! While you may be browsing on your phone using wifi, you could have an app running which is using mobiles internet, therefore incurring costs.
    Check what apps you have running and adjust the settings regarding data/internet connections.

It happened to me last month, got charged 197 euros (instead of 5000+!!!). They won't see any more euros coming from my pocket. I don't trust their counter either. I always turn off data when I'm finished using the internet now.

At least they texted you to let you know!!! 20 euros is not so bad...

Advertisement