Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Xbox 360 damaging games

• 26-12-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

The kids got an Xbox 360 from santa, last night while playing it made a crunching noise. We've noticed two of the disks have a perfect circle engraved into them and one of the won't play at all now. I've stopped them playing for the moment in case it does any more damage. Any suggestions as to whats wrong.

any advice appreciated

Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

the games are not inserted fully?or something else in there,ive had my kids put fcukin toast and that in mine they also think the dvd player is a cup holder
    anyway its fcuked bring it back to where you got it for a new one and the games

the joy of kids LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is it flat or on its side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The new Xboxs absolutely eat discs if there is any movement of the console, so make sure that it's in a position where it can't be affected by vibration of kids jumping etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

Looks like they moved the console while it was running. No chance of retailers helping you out as there should be a sticker on the console warning you not to move it while it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭jazzie

It is lying flat and on a shelf so kids didn't get near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

The new Xboxs absolutely eat discs if there is any movement of the console, so make sure that it's in a position where it can't be affected by vibration of kids jumping etc.

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Fast forward to 1:05 ,a perfect circle on the disk.The guy moved the xbox though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

That happened to us yesterday. One second we were playing Modern Warfare 2 ( forgive me for not having black ops but that problem should be sorted by the end of today :P) and then the next second it makes this horrible noise. The disc ended up being stuck inside but luckily we got it out. Is this a problem with all of them? :confused:

Could be a lot of this happening then this Christmas when you add these factors together:

New Xbox Slim + Kinect in your kids upstairs bedroom and them jumping round playing one of the Kinect games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

All Xbox's will do this if moved while on, best way to avoid this is install the game to the hard drive otherwise you'll run the risk of this happening all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

pdbhp wrote: »
    All Xbox's will do this if moved while on, best way to avoid this is install the game to the hard drive otherwise you'll run the risk of this happening all the time

Can this be done with all games?? And also do u not still need to have the disc in the drive after installing in play?

Little brother we bought him the kinetic for christmas bloody adventure game is after gettin circle on the disk now same happened to fifa 11 while ago.

The xbox is flat on a small little table beside tv gonna have to find somewhere more solid to put it.

Kinect sports doesn't install to the hard drive and I can't see an option to do that ,lucky I got the old jasper unit from last year

Ok so what does everyone reckon is the best option here??

Where should i sit the xbox what is solid place when you dont have alot of options and space??

Is there anything that can be done with the two discs?? *Fifa 11 and Kinetic adventure*

Installing games to the harddrive is fine but u still need to install the disc into the drive to play the game so does that really sort the problem??

Ok so what does everyone reckon is the best option here??

Where should i sit the xbox what is solid place when you dont have alot of options and space??

Is there anything that can be done with the two discs?? *Fifa 11 and Kinetic adventure*

Installing games to the harddrive is fine but u still need to install the disc into the drive to play the game so does that really sort the problem??

The proplem should be gone once you install the game to harddrive, you still need to insert the disk to play the game but once it's installed the game doesn't spin.
    You could try the toothpaste trick on it.
    Kinect sports doesn't install to the hard drive and I can't see an option to do that ,lucky I got the old jasper unit from last year

On the screen highlight the game and press y this brings up a box with the option to install the game to HD.
    As for the Jasper unit that makes no difference at all, if you move that when the games spinning it'll eat the disc

Not gonna try the toothpaste thing lol dont fancy it right now :P

Ill go with the game install for the moment and sort the position of the xbox out later for kinetic.

Not gonna try the toothpaste thing lol dont fancy it right now :P

Ill go with the game install for the moment and sort the position of the xbox out later for kinetic.

That'll probably be the end of your problem once the game is installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Unfortunately I've found this is one case where I just haven't been able to fix discs with toothpaste. The rings are usually too deep and just too big.

My sister's copy of Fable 2 had this happen to it and no matter how much I tried it kept freezing. After a bit of work the game did improve a bit, but it was still freezing up eventually. You might be able to if you spend absolutely hours and hours at it.

Would probably be a good idea to bring them to gamestop and ask them to resurface the discs.

That'll probably be the end of your problem once the game is installed.

Well cant install fifa 11 and kinetic adventure as half way threw install says disc is dirty has to be cleaned how much will game spot charge to resurface them??

Well cant install fifa 11 and kinetic adventure as half way threw install says disc is dirty has to be cleaned how much will game spot charge to resurface them??

Think it's €3 per disc in Game, don't know how much GameStop charge.

@O1s1n that must have been some disaster with Fable cos all the times I've seen the games do that they were savable with the toothpaste techinque

On the screen highlight the game and press y this brings up a box with the option to install the game to HD.
    As for the Jasper unit that makes no difference at all, if you move that when the games spinning it'll eat the disc

True i do remember the kids turning it sideways in full on MW2 and a horrible noise coming out of it ,bloody kids :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NatalieA

Somebody told me, discs might work if put in a freezer for few minutes
    Don't know if will work with deep marks though. :(
    Also works if forgot your pin - put your phone in the freezer. :) Haven't tryed that eather, but if nothing to loose might as well....
    I would bring ewerything to retailer, console and games. I'd say they will replace everything, just don't admit that you moved it once on. They should really put that sticker on!
    Also wouldn't expect nothing less from kids, we spoil them rotten, 1-3 year olds playing with all the expensive gadgets! The things my kids broke over the years! Laptop, computer, stereo, 2 portable dvd players ( one of them also left marks on my movies), scratched games and movies... the things they stuck into wii and playstation...
    But we buy those things for children and those items should be made sturdy enough to survive our children using them!!!

NatalieA wrote: »
    Somebody told me, discs might work if put in a freezer for few minutes
    Don't know if will work with deep marks though. :(
    Also works if forgot your pin - put your phone in the freezer. :)

I know if you put beer in the fridge it fixes the taste;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

OP borrow someone elses copies of the games and install them to the hdd, then you can use your ringed disks to play them, (since you need a disk in the drive to play an installed game and it doesnt read the disk so itll work grand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Glenflesk

This happened me last night playing fifa 11. I have the old xbox so I cannot install it to the harddrive. Just wondering will gamestop definitely be able to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Glenflesk wrote: »
    This happened me last night playing fifa 11. I have the old xbox so I cannot install it to the harddrive. Just wondering will gamestop definitely be able to fix it?
    No guarantee

Glenflesk wrote: »

You should be able to install it on harddrive on any model XBOX once you have sufficient space on it of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

@O1s1n that must have been some disaster with Fable cos all the times I've seen the games do that they were savable with the toothpaste techinque

It was really bad alright. Only disc I haven't been able to fix. Was like someone had gotten a knife and run it around a few times in a perfect circle.

With the toothpaste you're kind of relying on the scratches being uneven and going from the centre out to the edge. The toothpaste burns a bit of the surface plastic away where the laser is having difficulty reading for a split second.

With these mechanical scraches though the whole thing is an even depth right the way around. Plus as it's a ring around the disc, it's exactly the path the laser reads. So it's not like the laser can just hop over an unreadable bit for a second - it's completely unreadable for the whole way around.

Doesn't laying the console flat rather than standing it up help avoid this? Makes sense gravity wise.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Doesn't laying the console flat rather than standing it up help avoid this? Makes sense gravity wise.

You'd think that as it seems logical but with XBOX you can never rely on the laws of physics as any movement even the slightest no matter what the orientation of the console is will result in the immediate destruction of the disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

i know there used to be something about replacing damaged discs on the paperwork of older PS games-you are paying for the liscence more than the disc and i remember seeing something about them replacing damaged discs .....might be wrong but maybe worth checking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

MS does replace discs, but you have to pay (not sure of the fee but its alot less than a new copy of the game often

Advertisement