Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats my bottlekneck?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey lads,

ive been able to play all games of recent on high settings, that is until black ops came out. It lags like crap on my system.

Here is my Spec:

MB: P5Q deluxe
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 @ stock speeds 3.15ghz
    Ram:4GB 6400 Gail
    GPU:Raedon 4870 512mb
    monitor: 24" 1080 x 1200
    3TB of storage....main os drive has 200gb free

I am assuming its my GPU that is slowing me down?

Ive read up on over clocking and the mb and cpu seem to be easy to OC.

Any advice please and thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i dont play black ops (yet) but i think your bottleneck is your CPU.
    black ops will have been a port from the xbox most likely, so it'll want a 3 core processor to run smoothly.

after a bit of reading i found this:
    in the black ops folder, theres a folder called players. in there there are two .cfg files. in both, by default, the multithreaded value is set to 0, which means it defaults to running on a single core. you need to set that value to 1 to enable multicore support.

actually, there is an unofficial fix for this well known issue.

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=321082&p=3819472

some guy changed the config files to that of MW2 and it seems to have worked for many people.

backup your files, and paste his ones over them. worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Binder

Thamks that helped alot.

Stil not 100% smooth though, kinda still not good enough to enjoy playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Black Ops is'nt any harder to run than MW or MW2, its the same engine which is 3 years old at this stage. You've only got 512MB ram on that gpu, the first thing to do is turn off or drop antialiasing to a lower level that the gpu can cope better with. The game should fly then.

I'm sure that monitor is 1920x1200 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's your videocard imo. I got a HD5770, runs well.

• Advertisement

which card would ppl recomend i upgrade too?

Confab wrote: »
    It's your videocard imo. I got a HD5770, runs well.

A 4870 is faster than a 5770, 4870 being a high end 4 series, 5770 being mid range 5 series. Its the 512Mb of graphics ram thats letting things down here. Do like I said and disable antialiasing, that card should handle that game fine, should max every other setting without antialiasing which eats memory on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

You need to tell us what the FSB spped of the motherboard, cpu and ram is?

First thanks for advice,

Turning off AA did the job, games graphics dont look great though.

So i have a few screen shots of cpuz.

Now there is something weird showing for my core speed, it flicks between 2 different speeds every 30 seconds or so.

here are the screen shots

wonder if something weird is going on with my cpu?

Also i want to upgrade graphics card so i can play new games on high settings. Any recommendations?

That'll be speedstep downclocking Your cpu when its not needed, nothing to worry about. Its just an energy saving feature of Intel cpu's

Wjhats Your budget for the gpu?
    What wattage psu You got?

• Advertisement

Thanks again.

Any recommendations on GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 visco

Not sure if you tried this yet, but since the last patch they added a new setting in the graphics settings called Shader Warming... this has done miracles to me, from stuttering/unplayable to rather ok.... still not great though, but certainly playable.

dont want to overlook the obvious, have you got the latest drivers installed for your GPU?
    even if you think you might, try downloading it from ATI's website and reinstalling them.

Advertisement