Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird trouble with UTV broadband

• 26-12-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

A bit of a story to this.

Back in August my internet would start crashing when I'd use any bittorrent software. It was a bit annoying at first. Due to this, I stopped using bittorrent during the day and only used it at night.

Looking at the speed graph on bittorrent I noted that it turned off many times during the night but the stuff always got downloaded. I rang UTV about this. They suggested I stop using bittorrent or reduce the total seeds or whatever. I ignored it and just kept using like above.

Fast forward 4 months. My broadband is now in a complete mess. Downloading any files over 20MB in one go crashed my broadband, sometimes for hours. It stopped working for 8 hours last night. This now has nothing to do with bittorrent.

I emailed UTV. They suggested plugging my modem directly into the main socket. It didn't work. They are now suggesting to get an eircom person out to check the wiring. (with an additional charge).

Thing is, my broadband mainly crashes when I am downloading files over 20MB and previously did so when downloading big files in torrent. Surely this has nothing to do with the wiring in my house ?

Anyone ever expierience anything similar ?

Other details
    Using a Voyager 210 Modem (just upgraded the firmware so hopefully that might help)
    Am using a linksys router. I plugged my computer directly into the modem so that isn't the problem.

Statistics: Downstream
    Line Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Noise Margin: 26.3 dB
    Line Attenuation: 3.0 dB
    Output Power: 2.3 dBm

Statistics: Upstream
    Line Rate: 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin: 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 4.0 dB
    Output Power: -3.9 dBm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Can you try a different router? Your line stats are VERY good and should be stable, the Voyager 210 is quite an old modem and there is reports of other users having them overheat when using torrent programs, google " voyager 210 overheating ". I would try another router and test it out before anyone checks out your wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can you try a different router? Your line stats are VERY good and should be stable, the Voyager 210 is quite an old modem and there is reports of other users having them overheat when using torrent programs, google " voyager 210 overheating ". I would try another router and test it out before anyone checks out your wiring.

Funnily enough, a previous modem did actually overheat.

My solution until they sent me a new one was to put it in the freezer under the stairs where I keep the modem. Worked like a treat :D

I'm having even more trouble now.

I have the Voyager 210 connected to a Linksys router for wireless. For some reason, while the modem is now working alright, and the internet works fine when plugged into my laptop via ethernet, when I connect up to the linksys router, the wireless internet isn't working at all.

I have the relevant information put in under PPPoE on the linksys router and yet it's picking up nothing.

As I have the PPPoE information on my linksys router, should I delete all of the same information off of the Voyager 210 modem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

i'm on UTV and use an netopia eircom router for it .i've used a few torrents before on this connection and i've always been able to use torrents witout any probs at all it seems odd that this is happening to you ,does it do the same even when using a differant router?

jay93 wrote: »
    i'm on UTV and use an netopia eircom router for it .i've used a few torrents before on this connection and i've always been able to use torrents witout any probs at all it seems odd that this is happening to you ,does it do the same even when using a differant router?

Not sure as I've only ever used the modem provided by UTV.

I've ordered a new linksys one and will see if that makes any difference.

Did you order an ADSL Modem/Router combo or just a router? As you would need a combo to rule out both your modem and router.

• Advertisement

Did you order an ADSL Modem/Router combo or just a router? As you would need a combo to rule out both your modem and router.

I've gone for a combo. Don't want to be messing around with two pieces of equipment any longer when only one is needed.

Can you try a different router? Your line stats are VERY good and should be stable,

Forgot to ask. Do you think that with my good line stats, that it's not a line issue like the support person at UTV think it might be ?

Hard to say....they have access to more details than we do, do you get many errors on your line? are the voice calls clear? Does the landline interfere?
    I still think its your modem or router, you could borrow one from family, friends, Argos and find out pretty quickly...I had an issue with mine being connected to an extension and not the main socket, once changed over my issue was resolved. I had UTV for 5+yrs and never had any problems with torrents but I used my own router.

Hard to say....they have access to more details than we do, do you get many errors on your line? are the voice calls clear? Does the landline interfere?
    I still think its your modem or router, you could borrow one from family, friends, Argos and find out pretty quickly...I had an issue with mine being connected to an extension and not the main socket, once changed over my issue was resolved. I had UTV for 5+yrs and never had any problems with torrents but I used my own router.

I now have the modem in the freezer like the last time :D

I'm downloading a 605MB file update for a PS3. Will be interesting to see does it crash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your line stats are excellent - it would appear that you are very close to the exchange?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Your line stats are excellent - it would appear that you are very close to the exchange?

About 200 meters :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

About 200 meters :D

No wonder your modem is overheating:)

dub45 wrote: »
    No wonder your modem is overheating:)

I've had the modem in the freezer for the last few days now and the connection is a lot more stable.

Still drops now and then.

Anyone know why UTV are persisting with such an old modem which is prone to overheating ?

I've had the modem in the freezer for the last few days now and the connection is a lot more stable.

Still drops now and then.

Anyone know why UTV are persisting with such an old modem which is prone to overheating ?

When I joined them they supplied a Voyager 2110 but the ethernet ports stopped working, I then got a Netgear DG834G off them for " half price ". I think its Netgear they supply now. I even had to return the old 2110 when I canceled the service with them.

Advertisement