Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest anime episode

Options
  • 26-12-2010 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

I was re-watching Clannad last night (got the DVD for Christmas nom nom nom) and when it got to Episode 9 (
    the one where Fuko's sister's wedding takes places and then Fuko disappears
    ) I was bawling crying by the end :P I'd forgotten how sad that episode is :( Like, it's beautiful at the same time and that's what really gets me.

So, what's the saddest episode of an anime you've ever seen? What really gets those tears welling up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Saddest thing I've seen is from Clannad as well. It was either episode 13 or 18 of After Story. The one where
    Nagisa dies
    . That was just... If I hadn't watched the rest of the series I never would have recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Burkie.EXE wrote: »
    Saddest thing I've seen is from Clannad as well. It was either episode 13 or 18 of After Story. The one where
    Nagisa dies
    . That was just... If I hadn't watched the rest of the series I never would have recovered.

I was going to post exactly this earlier, but then was like "nah I'll do it later, I have to check what episode it is and I'm too lazy right now." But I baw'd hard. I think I also baw'd at something relating to Fuko, but don't really remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I haven't watched After Story yet.... >_< Looking forward to it now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Clannad ++.

Though, Key always do cheap tear jerkers.
    Something which made me cry deservedly, gotta be Grave of the Fireflies, it's just...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The saddest moment for me was in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    when she realises that her little brother is dead. You gotta watch it to understand but I was balling. It was really well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I would say Gunbuster towards the end,
    when Noriko and the Russian mecha pilot are just about to kill the big alien in order to save earth and they must time travel further. Noriko is drawn to tears as if she goes further she will never see coach Oto again, as he is dying in hospital

The whole movie is very sad and had me crying for days after watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest movie I've ever seen, anime or otherwise.

I would say Gunbuster towards the end,
    when Noriko and the Russian mecha pilot are just about to kill the big alien in order to save earth and they must time travel further. Noriko is drawn to tears as if she goes further she will never see coach Oto again, as he is dying in hospital

The whole movie is very sad and had me crying for days after watching it.

Dammit, how did I forget about Gunbuster? That's one of my favorites, gotta rewatch it now!

I did not understand why Grave of the Fireflies was suppose to be sad....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

when she realises that her little brother is dead. You gotta watch it to understand but I was balling. It was really well done.

Yup, that got me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nisk

It's not an episode, it probably doesn't even have anything to do with the main story, but I thought Bleach: Memories Of Nobody deserves a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Watched episode 14 of Clannad tonight - the one where
    Kotomi gets the bear her parents bought for her
    - and I was in an absolute STATE again >_< Seriously, this anime is just so heart-wrenching. I love it and it has fantastic art and character development but jesus it gets me bawling :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I hated that character on clanned so I was glad to see her go :D Saddest thing I've seen in an anime was probably in Fullmetal Alchemist
    where Mayes dies, I loved that guy, and the funerral was cruel :(
    . The end of Elfin Lied always gets me as well, though that's equally wierd
    WHY can't she have had a normal life but WHY is Koata so accepting to the person who murdered his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I cried when in Yu Ghi Oh he lost his cards and couldn't battle that evil guy who wanted the battle.. It was really emotional! :(

When
    L died in Death Note
    I know it's not really a classic tear-jerker, but the series was pretty much over for me then, so it's my saddest episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

The last three episodes of NGE are pretty sad, though there is redemption in the final episode. If you really want to depress yourself I recommend watching the End of Evangelion. It has a far more morbid ending. The music alone...still sends shivers down my spine.

Azure_sky wrote: »
    The last three episodes of NGE are pretty sad, though there is redemption in the final episode. If you really want to depress yourself I recommend watching the End of Evangelion. It has a far more morbid ending. The music alone...still sends shivers down my spine.

It's not really sad in my opinion. It is the recreation of all things which can in a sense be celebrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

It's not really sad in my opinion. It is the recreation of all things which can in a sense be celebrated.

In the greater scheme of things I know what you're saying. Though with recreation comes destruction. But the imagery is pretty depressing. Interestingly, it's the opposiate with the song. The music is happy but the lyrics are amongst the most depressing I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nisk

Actually I didn't think the ending in particular was sad, now there are parts that get to you, but overall it levels out in the end. However, there is one part of Evangelion that I though is really sad, or rather it is a a conclusion of a concept in Evangelion. (I'm talking about Evangelion Manga tho, because it does a far better job at explaining the story in my opinion)
    I'm talking about the part where Rei dies...or rather Shinjis reaction/flashback right after.

I would recommend reading the whole series though, since only then do you get the real punch. Besides it's just really good.

Azure_sky wrote: »
    The music is happy but the lyrics are amongst the most depressing I've ever heard.

Like the Cure. That is why I like the Cure, happy songs with such depressing lyrics.

@Nisk. I read that chapter and it was deep. I am only started reading the Evangelion manga now and it is quite deep. I can imagine it being alot better then the anime with the story and the manga giving the reader a more insight into the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I cried manly tears during Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Episode 8. That scene.

Also, the end of Katanagatari. And the middle of Diebuster. And the end of Diebuster.

It doesn't take much to set me off. ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I can't find a Japanese version but it's the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

ef - memories when
    Chihiro throws away her diary
    ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Either the ending of bebop or saikano

Laisurg wrote: »
    Either the ending of bebop or saikano

Saikano is really sad with the storyline. You should read the manga it had me on the floor just after reading the first volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Cowboy Bebop, Episode 26, by a country mile.

I'm not sure I've ever been so upset by simple closing credits.

As the top rate comment says ";_; MANLY TEARS"

*sniff*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ah man how could I have forgotten that. That was single-handedly one of the saddest things I've seen on a TV

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Agreed.
    And he keeps fighting right to the end, that's why Kamina is one of the best characters ever.

Also, the last episode of Elfen Lied when
    Mariko finds out that Kurama is her father, and he walks of holding her for the first time, and the last.

Yeah that was a touching scene. I couldn't believe
    they killed off Kamina when he was one of the main characters, and I loved the sketched effect, it really created that scene to be effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grave of the Fireflies, nothing else is as sad.

Advertisement