Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Tips & Suggestions

Options
  • 26-12-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Happy Christmas!

Like many of you folks, I got a Kindle 3 from Santa :) I'm sure there's a ton of tips & suggestions that would be useful for all of us noobs.

For me, first thing is get the Calibre software. I'm still working on the second thing: figure out all the things Calibre can do.

If you're a Kindle user can you post up any tips and suggestions for us noobs?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Your ability to purchase from the UK store can be hampered if someone turns on the Kindle while you're in the middle of doing so.

I was able to download a few free books from Amazon UK using a friend's UK address, but then it stopped working after about the 8th book. I went looking for the Kindle, and my dad was reading it. It is his Kindle so I shouldn't be that annoyed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Question in relation to UK purchases, can you get someone in the UK to gift them to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Question in relation to UK purchases, can you get someone in the UK to gift them to you?

Not yet, that can only be done on amazon.com at the moment.

Would there be any adverse effects resulting from me constantly changing my address from a UK one to a US one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 altrarosie

I got a kindle for Christmas (well two weeks ago but restrained myself from opening it until 25/12). My problem, stemming from the fact that anything technical is alien to me, is that I can't figure out how to put books on it. I already have a few downloaded to my laptop from the whsmith website but haven't a clue how to transfer them. When I bought them it was with the intention of reading them on my daughter's Sony e-reader but that got dropped and broken within 2 days of my having spent HOURS figuring out how to use it.
    An illustration of how dense I am is that I couldn't start a thread of my own but had to pose this question as a reply to someone else's. Please bear this in mind if anyone is kind enough to try to steer me in the right direction. Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

altrarosie: Get Calibre. It'll convert multiple ebook types into the type the Kindle can read. There's a helpful video demo on the site which should guide you.

Don't sign up for the email delivery as Amazon charge for that service. Transferring from Calibre with the USB cable will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 altrarosie

That's brilliant, thank you. Have done that and got as far as importing my books onto calibre, but when I try to transfer them it tells me they have a 'drm' that must be removed first. Don't suppose you have advice about that too?
    Have also found some links on Amazon itself to sites that offer free books (mostly classics or obscure writers so far, but that suits me) so my reader is looking a little less empty. I had a bit of F.Scott Fitzgerald to keep me occupied while calibre was loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Altrarosie:

Can't help with .drm issue, I have a love hate relationship with calibre, I love it when it works, but when it (ie. probably me :o) has problems, I don't find it very user friendly.

Couple of links to free books on Amazon and Smashwords, as and when they come up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?node=154606011&p_15=-domain&p_36=0-0&redirect=true

http://www.pixelofink.com/

http://www.squidoo.com/free-kindle-ebooks-list#module124862061

Also, don't forget, if you use your "free" e-mail address on kindle and use the word "convert" in the address bar, depending on the format, kindle will convert the book for free. Your user manual will help tell you your address.

Also, don't forget, you are not limited to the amazon.com to buy books, you can also buy off .co.uk

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69586712&postcount=11

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Trojan wrote: »
    For me, first thing is get the Calibre software. I'm still working on the second thing: figure out all the things Calibre can do.
    thanks for the tip Trojan, just finished putting all the Harry Potter & True Blood books on my wife's new Kindle 3 thanks to your Calibre tip. :)
    juke wrote: »
    interesting info about the kindle sales there on the pixel of ink site, the girl with the dragon tattoo was actually the first book i bought on the amazon store myself on the kindle, so i'm officially a statistic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

The email address to use will show up on your amazon account, under manage your kindle on the settings page.

it should be sent to whatever@free.kindle.com for it to go through to the Kindle.

the free emails will only work when connected to wifi though, the kindle wont receive the free emails over 3G.

as said, put convert in the subject box and it will convert pdf docs into azw files for the kindle, so you can enlarge text and all the other stuff properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

HI looking to get the wifi model for my wife. I have a wireless network at home. But for some reason on the UK website they refer me to order from their US site ??? I know customs are clamping down on parcels so it won't be cheaper and I don't like ordering electronics in the US because of plugs and voltage differences.

Could someone guide me on getting one for my wife ? Would I be able to connect it to my wireless network at home and download books free & purchased online ?

Cheers

• Advertisement

To order from the UK store you will need to get it sent to a UK address. Have you any relatives in the North you could send it to?

As for connecting to Wi-Fi, it's an international standard so will work fine provided you have a wireless G network broadcasting in your house (any wireless router newer than about six or seven years should be good to go)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Does anyone have any issue connecting the Kindle to their home wireless network? :confused:

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

Slaacer wrote: »
    HI looking to get the wifi model for my wife. I have a wireless network at home. But for some reason on the UK website they refer me to order from their US site ??? I know customs are clamping down on parcels so it won't be cheaper and I don't like ordering electronics in the US because of plugs and voltage differences.

Could someone guide me on getting one for my wife ? Would I be able to connect it to my wireless network at home and download books free & purchased online ?

Cheers

you can use deliverme.ie,they provide you with their address allowing you to order from amazon.co.uk and they will deliver it to you next day...
    i received mine yesterday from them and have to say its a great service they offer its only 20 buk too...yes you will be able to connect to your network at home and download books both free and purchased...i highly recommend geting one they are excellent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

Killme00 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any issue connecting the Kindle to their home wireless network? :confused:

Thanks

no problems as of,try moving to where the signal is strongest...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

clarelad wrote: »
    no problems as of,try moving to where the signal is strongest...
    working fine for me right through the house too. can you describe where its going wrong for you?

Killme00 wrote: »

Thanks

You'll need to provide a wee bit more information like what exactly isn't working.
    Are you able to see the network?
    What type of signal is your network being broadcast on (b/g/n)?
    What type of security is your network using (WEP/WPA)?
    Have you tried disabling wireless encryption to see if you can connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Slaacer wrote: »

Cheers

It wont be stopped at customs as on the amazon.com website it already charges you the irish VAT rate.
    You'll also get a 3 pin plug so voltage wont be an issue either.

Edit- i might be wrong about getting the 3 pin plug in the box. I think its just a usb wire to charge off laptops and such. You can easily pick up a 3 pin plug with a usb connection for cheap anyway. Voltage still wont be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 silverlight

well, the bad news is that you can't buy a kindle from the UK site, so we have to wait 6-7 weeks when it will be shipped from New Zeland.. The good news is that we can buy a kindle ( and other goods) from the UK by using cross- border UK address and delivery service. I`ve got my kindle for Xmas delivered by these guys the next day after they received it from Amazon. Despite the 10 inches of snow! Theys guys are brilliant. €20 per delivery though: www.DeliverMe.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mcnallg

Your ability to purchase from the UK store can be hampered if someone turns on the Kindle while you're in the middle of doing so.

I was able to download a few free books from Amazon UK using a friend's UK address, but then it stopped working after about the 8th book. I went looking for the Kindle, and my dad was reading it. It is his Kindle so I shouldn't be that annoyed :)

Yeah this happened to me, downloaded about 6 or 7 of the £1 books on my Kindle (wifi) using a UK address but Irish credit card, and then it copped I wasnt in the UK and re-directed me to the US site. It also made me change my country back to Ireland.

Anyone know if I change this back to the UK again for another few books, or am i permanently shut out now?

I truly curse Amazon for making me pay more for a books in Dollars when everything else I order from them i pay Sterling. Although on the other hand the Kindle is pretty nifty! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Jet Black wrote: »
    It wont be stopped at customs as on the amazon.com website it already charges you the irish VAT rate.
    You'll also get a 3 pin plug so voltage wont be an issue either.

Edit- i might be wrong about getting the 3 pin plug in the box. I think its just a usb wire to charge off laptops and such. You can easily pick up a 3 pin plug with a usb connection for cheap anyway. Voltage still wont be an issue.

If that is the case you get a proper UK/Ireland USB plug with one got from the UK amazon!

• Advertisement

cheap but decent case for kindle 3. I got one and it's very good for the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.49301

Advertisement