Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When am I entitled to a replacement?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 1:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Macbook in February. In October a small problem with the screen developed, and I brought it in to be fixed. About a week after I got it back, it started freezing and crashing (I doubt it's related to the original fix). I brought it to a repair shop last week. They've replaced both the logic board (motherboard) and hard drive, and it's still not working properly for them. I asked about a replacement, and she said she thought I had to bring it in for repairs FOUR times before Apple would consider a replacement. Is this right? Technically it's been repaired 3 times (screen, logic board and hard drive) but the latter two were all done in the same visit to the shop. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'd be pushing for a replacement now. Repeated repairs would seem to suggest something is seriously wrong with it.

I'd get back on to the retailer (I take it they have been who you have been dealing with the whole time?), request politely that they replace the unit as clearly it is not Fit for Purpose if it is repeatedly breaking down, nor is it of Merchantable Quality, under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

If they refuse and you're not happy then you can go down the Small Claims Court route. Costs you €15 and can be done online.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple's policy was always 3 repairs (Incorrect as they are with it). The way it used to be was 3 seperate case numbers for the different problems. I'd go with the above posters advice, as it doesn't really matter what Apple's policy is, at the end of the day.

Advertisement